Bala Audax: Pics and Stuff

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Map: http://www.widerworld.co.uk/bala-audax.jpg

    All very beautiful indeed, despite the cold and wind at the tops of the
    passes. I was ahead of everyone for the first three stages and rode the last
    leg, up and over the (Brenig?) Moors, with a French-German couple from
    Bradford on a tandem (they'd spent the whole ride just behind me and we kept
    catching up at the controls). I completely bonked at about 190km and they
    went off ahead while I freewheeled into Bala practically a dead man. Fish
    and chips in the final cafe control seemed to revive me though! Finished in
    about 9 hrs in second place. Damn, those tandems go downhill so fast. ;-)

    Bwlch-y-Groes at the top of the easy side (
    http://www.salite.ch/groes2.htm ):

    http://www.widerworld.co.uk/bwlch-y-groes-easy.jpg

    This is Bwlch-y-Groes looking down the nasty side. 16% for 1km, then 14% for
    1km and 7 for the final km going down ( http://www.salite.ch/groes1.htm ). I
    had to stop as I felt I was going to go out of control otherwise!

    http://www.widerworld.co.uk/bwlch-y-groes-hard.jpg

    Milltir Cerrig -- easy side ( http://www.salite.ch/milltir1.htm ). I started
    to cramp in the middle of the nasty bit at the start, but stopped, refuelled
    and recharged for a minute and continued without a problem. I even had a
    supporter at the top who gave me a cheery "Well Done!". Thanks! Whoever you
    are.

    http://www.widerworld.co.uk/milltir-cerrig-easy.jpg

    I'm considering the Wild Wales too, with my brother (MTB'er so should be up
    to it). But, having seen the nasty side of Bwlch-y-Groes...

    --
    Simon

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simonb
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Map: http://www.widerworld.co.uk/bala-audax.jpg
    >
    > All very beautiful indeed, despite the cold and wind at the tops of
    > the passes. I was ahead of everyone for the first three stages and
    > rode the last leg, up and over the (Brenig?) Moors, with a
    > French-German couple from Bradford on a tandem (they'd spent the whole
    > ride just behind me and we kept catching up at the controls). I
    > completely bonked at about 190km and they went off ahead while I
    > freewheeled into Bala practically a dead man. Fish and chips in the
    > final cafe control seemed to revive me though! Finished in about 9 hrs
    > in second place. Damn, those tandems go downhill so fast. ;-)

    Ouch!

    I did my first audax this weekend - only 114Km and that took seven hours
    (including about an hour stopped). And it wasn't in anything like so
    challenging country. 200Km in 9 hours seems very daunting.

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Simonb
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Map: http://www.widerworld.co.uk/bala-audax.jpg
    >>
    >> All very beautiful indeed, despite the cold and wind at the tops of
    >> the passes. I was ahead of everyone for the first three stages and
    >> rode the last leg, up and over the (Brenig?) Moors, with a
    >> French-German couple from Bradford on a tandem (they'd spent the
    >> whole ride just behind me and we kept catching up at the controls). I
    >> completely bonked at about 190km and they went off ahead while I
    >> freewheeled into Bala practically a dead man. Fish and chips in the
    >> final cafe control seemed to revive me though! Finished in about 9
    >> hrs in second place. Damn, those tandems go downhill so fast. ;-)

    > Ouch!
    >
    > I did my first audax this weekend - only 114Km and that took seven
    > hours (including about an hour stopped). And it wasn't in anything
    > like so challenging country. 200Km in 9 hours seems very daunting.

    10 hrs including stops (8am to 6pm). Thankfully my B&B was just up the road
    in Llangwm -- so, once I got there, I had a bath and crashed till 9am on
    Sunday -- so I got 13 hrs sleep! A long drive back to Southampton on Sunday
    left me feeling a bit stiff, but 2 days gentle commuting and I'm fine now.