balancing at red lights

a1086528

Sep 17, 2004
hi guys,
been riding road for nearly 2 years now and want to know how the hell do guys just coast to a set of red lights and balance until the light goes green. it looks full hardcore! any tips would be great!

a1086528 said:
hi guys,
been riding road for nearly 2 years now and want to know how the hell do guys just coast to a set of red lights and balance until the light goes green. it looks full hardcore! any tips would be great!

I've heard it called dancing and trackstanding. It seriously helps to have a fixed gear, though that's not strictly necessary. Check out http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_12.htm for a few pointers.

First time in Spetember i tried it with clipless pedals fell straight off! (surpise surprise) but ever since just been practicing and practicing and you get used to it in no time, about the fixed gear suggestion, very true, even go backwards if you're really flash ;)

topcat said:
First time in Spetember i tried it with clipless pedals fell straight off! (surpise surprise) but ever since just been practicing and practicing and you get used to it in no time, about the fixed gear suggestion, very true, even go backwards if you're really flash ;)

thanks for your advice guys, i guess pratice is the only way! i've seen then rock forwards and backwards too.

a1086528 said:
thanks for your advice guys, i guess pratice is the only way! i've seen then rock forwards and backwards too.
One trick to note: it helps being on a crowned road. As you stop, point your front wheel away from the curb and apply the brakes. Then, if you start falling toward the center of the road, pedal and the bike moves in that direction to compensate. If you start to fall toward the curb, let off the brake and the bike will coast backward in that direction.

I never learned how to do it well, it was always easier to unclip and put a foot down.

a1086528 said:
hi guys,

It's called track stand (because it's very usefull at some track disciplines) and here is a how to ...

http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_trackstand.asp

Hope it will help you.

I had no mastered the technique yet, but I'm improving.

I would say that the key is to have your front wheel angled slightly uphill, and that pedal pressure moves you forward and easing off the pedals allows you to roll backward. So you basically move yourself forward and backward to balance. You only need your brakes to stop at the lights. Once balancing you shouldnt need to use your brakes. And its easier standing on the pedals...seated is harder.

Good Luck

I agree with the previous suggestions, and make the following comments.
  • A slight gradient is essential.
  • Roll to a stop in a low gear (it is near impossible in a high gear).
  • Turn "up" into the gradient - with handlebars at around 45 degrees (maybe more).
  • Roll in standing up (it is very much harder seated).
  • All movements must be gentle.
  • Come to a stop slowly (no brakes) with crank arms parallel to the ground.
  • Try to balance.
  • I'll assume the gradient slopes up to the right, and you're facing up to the right, and your right foot is forward ...
  • If you are falling to the right then you can apply a slight pressure on your right foot ... to very slightly go "up" the hill. This will regain your balance.
  • If you are falling to the left, you can apply pressure to your left foot, to roll backwards ... a very slight roll "down" the rise will let you regain your balance.
  • Gripping the top bar between your knees may help when learning.
Obviously enough, you don't want to practice this "clipped in" ... and you don't want to practice in traffic.

The skill can be practiced on any old clunker, and then once you've got it right, you can do it on your expensive bike, clipped in, with traffic !

You might even want to practice on grass.

PS. Some time back I read, I think on this site, the following advice:

"Real friends don't let friends track stand in traffic !" http://www.cyclingforums.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Just as an aside, up until about 30 years ago, the Guinness Book of World Records carried statistics for slow bicycle riding, until some guy in Japan stood absolutely stationary on a bike for more than five hours!

I have no problems balancing at traffic lights.

Catrike Road #116
"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown

One thing no one ever mentions is to keep your head from throwing your balance off. It weighs quite a bit, the noggin does. One thing helps balancing yourself on anything: keep your head level and it will make it easier. My trick is to look across the intersection, do not look down at the front wheel or your feet. Trust your body to keep itself balanced and it will remain balanced.

( my 2¢)

Here's one to try if you go with riding partner (wouldn't suggest using the car next to you though) - this fella that rode and taught me was one of those velodrome blokes ..

Slowly come up to the lights along side said partner, you partner grips (gently .. gently) your handle bar with his right hand (if he is coming up to you on your left) and with the greatest of ease, you grip his handle bar with your left hand and there you teeter-totter, not budging an inch - just balancing around. When the lights turn you just slowly take off at the same pace and let go .. a lot of folks don't like someone on a bike coming up on their rear, grabbing their handlebars so make sure it is someone you either are riding with or like .. I think we totally amazed our audience :D

I finally got the hang of track standing this year. (I'm 48) It's great - and fun at traffic lights. There must be some slope in the road surface - just enough to let the front wheel roll backwards. The garb-a-handlebar-with-your-buddy trick sounds very scary. I'd go for grabbing each other's shoulders. Unfortunately none of my cycling buds will try it with me - so I just track stand by myself. :(

suckinwheel said:
I finally got the hang of track standing this year. (I'm 48) It's great - and fun at traffic lights. There must be some slope in the road surface - just enough to let the front wheel roll backwards. The garb-a-handlebar-with-your-buddy trick sounds very scary. I'd go for grabbing each other's shoulders. Unfortunately none of my cycling buds will try it with me - so I just track stand by myself. :(
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t220022-track-standing-on-a-roadie.html

suckinwheel said:

Lets put it this way, you gotta trust who grabs ya .. I still want to try this in a secluded parking lot (at night) without being clipped in so I can have motorists oggle in awe at the traffic lights - I did that once but it was when I was trying to look like what I was doing. Out on my first excursion and proceeded to face plant :( I see ther is hope for me yet (I am 46) .. so you can teach old dogs new tricks!

You are all better men(and women) than I. I`m OK for short lengths of time but have lots to learn.

My strategy involves more of a timing thing...anticipating the traffic light change and slowing/increasing my pace accordingly.

It is cool to see it done properly tho......real impressive.