Ball Bearing Size

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Edd, Jan 27, 2003.

  1. Edd

    Edd Guest

    What size of ball bearings are used in Shimano hubs (both mtn and road if they differ).

    Thanks Edd

    Tags:

  2. A shy person asked:

    > What size of ball bearings are used in Shimano hubs (both mtn and road if they differ).

    All rear hubs use 9 1/4" balls each side.

    All Shimano front hubs and 99% of others use 10 3/16" balls each side.

    Sheldon "Bottom Brackets Use 11 1/4s" Brown +----------------------------------------------------+
    | A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of |
    | explanation. --H.H.Munro ("Saki")(1870-1916) |
    +----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    Sheldon Brown, who is normally accurate in his replies <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A shy person asked:
    >
    >> What size of ball bearings are used in Shimano hubs (both mtn and road if they differ).
    >
    >All rear hubs use 9 1/4" balls each side.
    >
    >All Shimano front hubs and 99% of others use 10 3/16" balls each side.

    Dura-Ace front hubs have eleven 3/16" balls in each cup.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles
    Miami, Florida
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Now in our twentieth year. Our catalogue of track equipment: seventh
    year online

  4. capt bike-<< All Shimano front hubs and 99% of others use 10 3/16" balls each side >><BR><BR>

    DA is 11 3/26 balls per side-

  5. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    home depot carries an inexpensive measuring tool from Genereal for measuring ball bearings-try
    harris cyclery online for grade 25 and probably CB's bearing article. check out the chainguard at
    "DIY" in bike tech.most mechanics develope a small measured increment slowly. today an 1/8" is vague
    but next week .0001" will look like a yard. balls are tough 'cause looking at both sides at once is
    an acquired skill best circumvented with the measuring tool. sure beats ordering
    1/8 for 5/32 or worse installing the wrong size screwing the hub up AND EVEN WORSE THE RETARDS OUT
    IN THE WHAREHOUSE MIGHT SEND ONE FOR THE OTHER!!

  6. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:54:10 GMT, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A shy person asked:
    >
    >> What size of ball bearings are used in Shimano hubs (both mtn and road if they differ).
    >
    >All rear hubs use 9 1/4" balls each side.

    Wow, those are really big!

    >Sheldon "Bottom Brackets Use 11 1/4s" Brown

    Even bigger! Are they brass, too?

    Pat "Handwriting has its uses" Lamb

  7. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    [email protected] (La ruota stridula ottiene il grasso) wrote:

    >DA is 11 3/26 balls per side-
    ^^^^^^^^ Peter - I've read your comments trash-talking about Shimano for years now
    without saying anything, but this really goes too far!

    -------------------------------
    http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Now in our twentieth year.
    Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online

  8. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    On 27 Jan 2003 20:47:32 GMT [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >DA is 11 3/26 balls per side-

    THOSE have GOT to be hard to find!

    ;-)

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA