Ball Bearing Size

Edd

Guest
What size of ball bearings are used in Shimano hubs (both mtn and road if they differ).

Thanks Edd

A shy person asked:

> What size of ball bearings are used in Shimano hubs (both mtn and road if they differ).

All rear hubs use 9 1/4" balls each side.

All Shimano front hubs and 99% of others use 10 3/16" balls each side.

Sheldon "Bottom Brackets Use 11 1/4s" Brown +----------------------------------------------------+
| A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of |
| explanation. --H.H.Munro ("Saki")(1870-1916) |
+----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

Sheldon Brown, who is normally accurate in his replies <[email protected]> wrote:

>A shy person asked:
>
>> What size of ball bearings are used in Shimano hubs (both mtn and road if they differ).
>
>All rear hubs use 9 1/4" balls each side.
>
>All Shimano front hubs and 99% of others use 10 3/16" balls each side.

Dura-Ace front hubs have eleven 3/16" balls in each cup.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles
Miami, Florida
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Now in our twentieth year. Our catalogue of track equipment: seventh
year online

capt bike-<< All Shimano front hubs and 99% of others use 10 3/16" balls each side >><BR><BR>

DA is 11 3/26 balls per side-

home depot carries an inexpensive measuring tool from Genereal for measuring ball bearings-try
harris cyclery online for grade 25 and probably CB's bearing article. check out the chainguard at
"DIY" in bike tech.most mechanics develope a small measured increment slowly. today an 1/8" is vague
but next week .0001" will look like a yard. balls are tough 'cause looking at both sides at once is
an acquired skill best circumvented with the measuring tool. sure beats ordering
1/8 for 5/32 or worse installing the wrong size screwing the hub up AND EVEN WORSE THE RETARDS OUT
IN THE WHAREHOUSE MIGHT SEND ONE FOR THE OTHER!!

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:54:10 GMT, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

>A shy person asked:
>
>> What size of ball bearings are used in Shimano hubs (both mtn and road if they differ).
>
>All rear hubs use 9 1/4" balls each side.

Wow, those are really big!

>Sheldon "Bottom Brackets Use 11 1/4s" Brown

Even bigger! Are they brass, too?

Pat "Handwriting has its uses" Lamb

[email protected] (La ruota stridula ottiene il grasso) wrote:

>DA is 11 3/26 balls per side-
^^^^^^^^ Peter - I've read your comments trash-talking about Shimano for years now
without saying anything, but this really goes too far!

http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Now in our twentieth year.
Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online

On 27 Jan 2003 20:47:32 GMT [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>DA is 11 3/26 balls per side-

THOSE have GOT to be hard to find!

;-)

-
Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA