ball bearings

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by G.Daniels, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    LOOSE BALL BEARING SIZES

    FOR BOTTOM BRACKETS 1/4" EXCEPTIONS- cAMPY sUPER rECORD AND c ReCORD AT 3/16" 1990 Campy
    Record 7/32"

    FOR HEADSETS 3/16" or 5/32"
    occasionally 1/8"

    FOR HUBS/FRONT 3/16" exceptions Campi Nuevo Record und Super Record 7/32"

    FOR HUBS/REAR 1/4"

    FOR PEDALS 1/8" OR 5/32"
    exceptions-
    SPD 3/32"

    from the third hand catalogue!

    Tags:

  2. datakoll-<< FOR BOTTOM BRACKETS 1/4" EXCEPTIONS- cAMPY sUPER rECORD AND c ReCORD AT 3/16" 1990 Campy
    Record 7/32"

    Depends, some Super Record were 1/4 inch, some C-Rec(SPa) were 3/16 whereas some C-Record (SPc)
    were 7/32.

  3. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    also, when storing bearings a vitamen bottle with linseed oil on the bottom is a good home not the
    package the bearings come in. For an interesting bearing list search for the bearing distributor on
    Florida's east coast.

  4. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > datakoll-<< FOR BOTTOM BRACKETS 1/4" EXCEPTIONS- cAMPY sUPER rECORD AND c ReCORD AT 3/16" 1990
    > Campy Record 7/32"
    >
    > Depends, some Super Record were 1/4 inch, some C-Rec(SPa) were 3/16 whereas some C-Record (SPc)
    > were 7/32.

    I've always wondered why Italian gear is partially imperial. Also why can't European manufacturers
    use metric chain?

  5. Michael Green wrote:

    > I've always wondered why Italian gear is partially imperial.

    If you're speaking of their threading, I've heard that they used to buy English lathes, which don't
    normally come with the correct back gears to cut metric-pitch threads. Thus, Italian threads use
    inch-based pitch with metric diameters. They also use a 55 degree cut in the manner of the old
    English Whitworth system, rather that the standard 60 degree cut.

    > Also why can't European manufacturers use metric chain?

    They could use metric chain and bearing ball sizes...but the cost of changing over would be very,
    very large, and for what benefit?

    Shimano tried promoting a 10 mm pitch chain in the early '80s, but it was a total commercial flop--a
    solution in search of a problem.

    By the way, camera tripod threads are also one of two English sizes, no matter where the camera or
    tripod is made. (1/4 x 20 or 3/16 x 18)

    Sheldon "Interchangeability Is Good" Brown +------------------------------------------+
    | To do nothing is also a good remedy. | --Hippocrates |
    +------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  6. Sheldon, are you sure it's not 5/16 x 18? -tom

  7. Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > Sheldon, are you sure it's not 5/16 x 18? -tom
    >
    > "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>By the way, camera tripod threads are also one of two English sizes, no matter where the camera or
    >>tripod is made. (1/4 x 20 or 3/16 x 18)

    Right you are.

    Sheldon "What's An Eighth Of An Inch Between Friends..." Brown
    | You can get more with a kind word and a gun | than you can with a kind word alone. | -- Al
    | Capone |
    +------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  8. --------------060406090600070904010609 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    Or in fact 3/8?

    Duncan Bourne

    Tom Nakashima wrote:

    >Sheldon, are you sure it's not 5/16 x 18? -tom
    >
    >"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>By the way, camera tripod threads are also one of two English sizes, no matter where the camera or
    >>tripod is made. (1/4 x 20 or 3/16 x 18)

    --------------060406090600070904010609 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">Sheldon, are you sure it's
    not 5/16 x 18? -tom

    "Sheldon Brown" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
    href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote in message <a
    class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
    href="news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]</a>... </pre>
    sizes, no matter where the camera or tripod is made. (1/4 x 20 or 3/16 x 18) </pre> </blockquote>
    <pre wrap=""><!---->

    --------------060406090600070904010609--

  9. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    home depot carries an inexpensive measuring tool a vernier caliper from General for measuring ball
    bearings-try harris cyclery online for grade 25 and probably CB's bearing article. check out the
    chainguard at "DIY" in bike tech.most mechanics develope a small measured increment slowly. today an
    1/8" is vague but next week .0001" will look like a yard. balls are tough 'cause looking at both
    sides at once is an acquired skill best circumvented with the measuring tool. sure beats ordering
    1/8 for 5/32 or worse installing the wrong size screwing the hub up AND EVEN WORSE THE RETARDS OUT
    IN THE WHAREHOUSE MIGHT SEND ONE FOR THE OTHER!!Post a follow-up to this message