Ball of foot pain.....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ns>, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    During ring near the end of the ride (thankfully) I get a pain in the ball of my foot... I have had
    to one foot it for a half mile I know because of the pain. I use Sidi shoes (4 years old I know but
    still in good shape) on Look style cleats and pedals. I could see both feet, but it is contained to
    my Left foot..... Any clues?

    Tags:

  2. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    Partial dejavu...."During ring"... I don't know...

    NS

  3. Bart

    Bart Guest

    looking around concerning a similar problem (quite sudden severe pain in contact area after 2 hours
    of riding), I came across the following.

    "Foot/knee pain: Many people have varying degrees of a side-to-side tilt or angle at the forefoot.
    When the cleats on cycling shoes are clipped into the pedal, the foot will attach to the pedal in a
    flat position. If an individual has a significant tilt at the forefoot, they may feel more pressure
    on one side of the foot than the other. This tilt can cause pain anywhere from the foot to the knee,
    and eventually the hip or back, depending on the longevity of the problem. To help correct this
    problem, wedge-shaped shims may be placed between the sole of the shoe and the cleat. By aligning
    these wedges under the shoe, the foot will connect to the surface of the pedal at its natural angle,
    thus helping to relieve pain or pressure."

    well i think i have quite an angle there. has anyone ever heard/tried this? what 'shims' to use?

    BTW I never had this before with my years old worn out cheapo shoes. Just now that I have a hard
    quality sole....

    TIA Bart

  4. Allan Leedy

    Allan Leedy Guest

  5. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    pain on the ball of the foot is sometimes associated with putting to much pressure on the ball of
    the foot. Other times, it has to do with improper fit, as in too tight. It usually doesn't occur in
    both feet, because the shoes are never adjusted exactly the same. you pedal with unequal forces in
    each leg, and one leg/foot, is usually slightly longer or shorter than the other. The easiets
    solution that I have found (aside from getting the right size shoes) is to move the cleat back a
    couple of milimiters, hence the foot forward, a couple of milimiters. This ought to move the ball of
    the foot slightly in front of the peadl axle, relieving some of the pressure. Good luck,

    Andres

    "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > During ring near the end of the ride (thankfully) I get a pain in the ball of my foot... I have
    > had to one foot it for a half mile I know because of the pain. I use Sidi shoes (4 years old I
    > know but still in good shape) on Look style cleats and pedals. I could see both feet, but it is
    > contained to my Left foot..... Any clues?

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > looking around concerning a similar problem (quite sudden severe pain in contact area after 2
    > hours of riding), I came across the following.
    >
    > "Foot/knee pain: Many people have varying degrees of a side-to-side tilt
    or
    > angle at the forefoot. When the cleats on cycling shoes are clipped into
    the
    > pedal, the foot will attach to the pedal in a flat position. If an individual has a significant
    > tilt at the forefoot, they may feel more pressure on one side of the foot than the other. This
    > tilt can cause pain anywhere from the foot to the knee, and eventually the hip or back, depending
    > on the longevity of the problem. To help correct this problem, wedge-shaped shims may be placed
    > between the sole of the shoe and the
    cleat.
    > By aligning these wedges under the shoe, the foot will connect to the surface of the pedal at its
    > natural angle, thus helping to relieve pain or pressure."
    >
    > well i think i have quite an angle there. has anyone ever heard/tried
    this?
    > what 'shims' to use?
    >
    > BTW I never had this before with my years old worn out cheapo shoes. Just now that I have a hard
    > quality sole....

    The product is called a "Big Meat" cleat shim kit sold by Paul White through bike shops such as
    ours. Makes an adjustment similar to a runner's orthotic insole. Some riders are strong adherents,
    others don't seem to need them.

  7. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    I guess it really points to shoe and cleat fit. The shoe still fits but it has been awhile since the
    last cleat adjustment.

    THX for the responses... I will definitely move the cleat forward a tad.

    NS

  8. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    Foot forward and cleat back,

    Andres

    "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2S%[email protected]>...
    > I guess it really points to shoe and cleat fit. The shoe still fits but it has been awhile since
    > the last cleat adjustment.
    >
    > THX for the responses... I will definitely move the cleat forward a tad.
    >

    > NS

  9. Ns>

    andres muro wrote:
    > Foot forward and cleat back,
    >
    > Andres
    >
    > "NS>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2S%[email protected]>...
    >
    >>I guess it really points to shoe and cleat fit. The shoe still fits but it has been awhile since
    >>the last cleat adjustment.
    >>
    >>THX for the responses... I will definitely move the cleat forward a tad.

    You guys are spot on! I checked the cleat today and saw that it was loosening and was able to pivot
    on one of the 3 screws... Now comes adjustment..

    Thx.. NS