Baltimore -- DC w/o Annapolis

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by H, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. H

    H Guest

    Hi,

    10 years ago, a friend and I rode from DC (Greenbelt Metro, I think)
    to Baltimore. We did not go via annapolis.

    I would like to do this trip again, but I can't remember the best
    route to take.

    Has anyone done this recently and have any pointers??

    Thanks,

    -H.

    Tags:

  2. On 21 Jun 2004 10:32:11 -0700, [email protected] (H) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >10 years ago, a friend and I rode from DC (Greenbelt Metro, I think)
    >to Baltimore. We did not go via annapolis.
    >
    >I would like to do this trip again, but I can't remember the best
    >route to take.
    >
    >Has anyone done this recently and have any pointers??
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >-H.

    Generally speaking, you wouldn't want to include Annapolis - that
    would be way out of the way.

    It really depends on what part of Baltimore you are talking about.
    Most routes I know go through the Agricultural Center in Greenbelt and
    take the backroads to Laurel, MD. Getting there is easy enough - Ivy
    Lane takes you into Old Greenbelt and then there are a lot of ways
    into the Ag Center. The way to Laurel used to be Powder Mill Road,
    either taking the last left road before the exit to the BW Parkway or
    keep riding to 197 and take a left and follow it into town.

    Where you go from Laurel would depend on where in Baltimore you want
    to go. Heading down backroads to Old Hanover (behind the airport),
    crossing Route 1 and heading toward UMBC in Catonsville gets you to
    the Ellicott City/Catonsville area.

    Moving up to Howard County and taking their backroads takes you to the
    other side of Ellicott City and parts north. Backroads to
    Odenton/Severna Park and then Glen Burnie can get you to the Inner
    Harbor (actually, I guess the first one will, too.)

    Potomac Peddlars used to have regular rides from the park in Old
    Greenbelt to both Laurel and to Howard County. Maybe they have
    something on their website.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  3. H

    H Guest

    Thanks Curtis!

    My exact endpoints are:
    Greenbelt (metro station) to Downtown Baltimore.

    -H.

    Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 21 Jun 2004 10:32:11 -0700, [email protected] (H) wrote:

    > Generally speaking, you wouldn't want to include Annapolis - that
    > would be way out of the way.
    >
    > It really depends on what part of Baltimore you are talking about.
    > Most routes I know go through the Agricultural Center in Greenbelt and
    > take the backroads to Laurel, MD. Getting there is easy enough - Ivy
    > Lane takes you into Old Greenbelt and then there are a lot of ways
    > into the Ag Center. The way to Laurel used to be Powder Mill Road,
    > either taking the last left road before the exit to the BW Parkway or
    > keep riding to 197 and take a left and follow it into town.
    >
    > Where you go from Laurel would depend on where in Baltimore you want
    > to go. Heading down backroads to Old Hanover (behind the airport),
    > crossing Route 1 and heading toward UMBC in Catonsville gets you to
    > the Ellicott City/Catonsville area.
    >
    > Moving up to Howard County and taking their backroads takes you to the
    > other side of Ellicott City and parts north. Backroads to

    > Odenton/Severna Park and then Glen Burnie can get you to the Inner
    > Harbor (actually, I guess the first one will, too.)
    >
    > Potomac Peddlars used to have regular rides from the park in Old
    > Greenbelt to both Laurel and to Howard County. Maybe they have
    > something on their website.
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell
    > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > Just someone on two wheels...