Bam! Rims blow out this morning

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:47:35 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 09:23:26 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
>> <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>><[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Mavic MA3 "A high quality and affordable classic rim". I had the tire
>>>pressure, as noted in a previous post, at ~105 with 28 mm tires, below the
>>>max rating of 117 psi as noted on the website (I found the matrix).

>> Well it is certainly a classic rim and generally considered about as
>> reliable as
>> such a thing has ever been.
>>
>> Even his Jobst approves of them.

>MA2s, actually.

I am corrected.

Is the assertion that Mavic went backwards - or do I even want to open that can
of worms.

Note the lack of a question mark. It's rhetorical.

Don't you just hate rhetorical questions.

Ron

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote:

> "Luke" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>
>>> Also, many newer rims now have wear indicators
>>> built into them... basically, little carved-out spots which
>>> indicate, when
>>> the rim is worn down to the bottom of them, that it's time to
>>> replace.

>> I've not seen these. Would you please post a link or specify a
>> model.

> http://alexrims.com/rims/ma_crostm11.htm

The cynical part of me thinks this would be a good gimmick to get
people to replace perfectly good rims. All the manufacturer has to do
is make the wear indicator lines a bit shallower than necessary. Of
course, if they're *too* shallow, people will think the rims wear out
too quickly, so they don't want to overdo it.

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply)

Per Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles:
>Claire: This is your commute bike, correct? One that you probably ride when
>the weather's not always pleasant? The reason I ask is because we often see
>"exploding" rims on commute bikes, and virtually never on bikes ridden
>recreationally. The reason is because commute bikes are more likely to be
>ridden when the weather's bad, which means you're grinding down the
>sidewalls as your brakes & rims pick up guck from the roadway. It's
>literally like putting a file or nasty sandpaper to your rims, every time
>you brake.

I think I've just talked myself into going back to a disc rear brake on my FS.
Save the V' for my POS bike/steel rims.
--
PeteCresswell

jim beam <[email protected]> writes:

> Mike Latondresse wrote:
>> jim beam <[email protected]> wrote in
>>>
>>> have you tried ceramic? sounds like you're a perfect candidate. i
>>> ask because it would be good to get user data onto this group.
>>>

>> No a little too expensive for me. I either buy the cheapest rim I
>> can find or recycle reasonable old ones I can scrounge, like the 3
>> Moscovas I have ready to go.
>>

> even if ceramics last [say] 3 times as long?

As long as they don't crack around the spoke nipple holes, of course.
And don't forget the special brake pads you need.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> jim beam <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Mike Latondresse wrote:
>>
>>>jim beam <[email protected]> wrote in

>>>No a little too expensive for me. I either buy the cheapest rim I
>>>can find or recycle reasonable old ones I can scrounge, like the 3
>>>Moscovas I have ready to go.
>>>

>>even if ceramics last [say] 3 times as long?

> As long as they don't crack around the spoke nipple holes, of course.
> And don't forget the special brake pads you need.

that's f.u.d.

> >>Mavic MA3 "A high quality and affordable classic rim". I had the
> >>tire pressure, as noted in a previous post, at ~105 with 28 mm
> >>tires, below the max rating of 117 psi as noted on the website (I
> >>found the matrix).

> That's the "max" pressure rating for those rims? In a world where 120
> psi is pretty much normal, that's odd.

max pressure depends on tyre size - it needs to be derated a bit for 28mm
tyres. Besides I think most people run 28mm tyres around 90-100 psi

>> Also, many newer rims now have wear indicators
>> built into them... basically, little carved-out spots which indicate,
>> when
>> the rim is worn down to the bottom of them, that it's time to replace.

> I've not seen these. Would you please post a link or specify a model.

Go to any shop that sells Trek, LeMond, Fisher or Klein. You'll find many of
the rims have small, black-painted recessed squares in the braking surface.
Those are the wear indicators. Unfortunately, they appeared before any
explanation, so most people thought they were defects.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

news:050220050527203588%[email protected]...

Bruce Graham writes:

>>> Mavic MA3 "A high quality and affordable classic rim". I had the
>>> tire pressure, as noted in a previous post, at ~105 with 28 mm
>>> tires, below the max rating of 117 psi as noted on the website (I
>>> found the matrix).

>> That's the "max" pressure rating for those rims? In a world where
>> 120 psi is pretty much normal, that's odd.

> max pressure depends on tyre size - it needs to be derated a bit for
> 28mm tyres. Besides I think most people run 28mm tyres around
> 90-100 psi

The range of maximum pressures does not guarantee that the tire will
stay on but it is based on what the rim wall will safely withstand,
the angle of approach of the tire casing to the rim being the
criterion. The broader the tire the more side load it transfers to
the rim for a given pressure. To visualize this, consider the tire
casing a circular cross section sitting on the rim bead and notice
that the angle of approach is more to the side with larger cross
section tires.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

Sandy wrote:
> <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> And then -- I had this wheel built and put on about a year ago.

> > Wait a minute! When did this occur? You say "And then..." meaning
> > subsequently, but a year ago? This is less clear as it unfolds.

> You lack of mastery of common conversational English is apparent

here. The
> meaning of "and then" would be clear to you, were that not an

inadequacy on
> your part. Pedantry is not a virtue.
>
> > I think there is a present, past, and future tense problem here as

well.

> You are predicting, describing the past, and commenting on the

current
> status of the author's syntax ? You are completely unclear here, in

your
> own syntax and grammar. Is your glass house well ventilated by fast

moving
> pebbles ?
>
> > Pleas clarify.

> Finally, don't take former politicos too seriously - there IS a time

to put
> an "e" on the end of some words, such as "pleasE". But not potato.
>
> Relying on your excellent good humour, and that you remain silent on
> subjects you have inadequately grasped.
> --
> Bonne route,
>
> Sandy
> Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Don't sweat it Sandy. Jobst is extremely knowledgeable about bicycles.
However, he seems to have a few character oddities. He states the truth
and has no tolerance for the ignorant - i.e. he is not a teacher. He
speaks in absolutes - his world seems to be entirely in black and
white. He is often incomprehensible - I am a technical person but about
half the time when I read his posts I really cannot figure out what he
is saying even after reading them over and over. Whatever he is saying,
I am sure it is clear to him. I do not know him and have not met him
but I get the impression that English might not be his native language.

Anyway, that said, his technical knowledge and experience in regard to
bicycles is vast, reliable and may be unequaled. Don't be offended by
him and try to figure out what he is saying.

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> Can you post a link to a photo of the damage? It could be worn
>> out sidewalls from braking, or it could be cracking due to hard
>> anodising.

> Photos here: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/rims.html
>
> Sorry the pictures are not ideal. I will put up perhaps better
> ones later, but I have many pressing demands on me this evening.
> Thank you for your interest and advice.

That is not quite what my worn rim looks like. It is more of just a
gradual widening of the rim that finally lets the tire (tube) blow
off at some point.

On 5 Feb 2005 20:47:21 -0800, "Wheel"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Sandy wrote:
>> <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Wait a minute! When did this occur? You say "And then..." meaning
>> > subsequently, but a year ago? This is less clear as it unfolds.

>> You lack of mastery of common conversational English is apparent

>here. The
>> meaning of "and then" would be clear to you, were that not an

>inadequacy on
>> your part. Pedantry is not a virtue.
>>
>> > I think there is a present, past, and future tense problem here as

>well.
>>
>> You are predicting, describing the past, and commenting on the

>current
>> status of the author's syntax ? You are completely unclear here, in

>your
>> own syntax and grammar. Is your glass house well ventilated by fast

>moving
>> pebbles ?
>>
>> > Pleas clarify.

>> Finally, don't take former politicos too seriously - there IS a time

>to put
>> an "e" on the end of some words, such as "pleasE". But not potato.
>>
>> Relying on your excellent good humour, and that you remain silent on
>> subjects you have inadequately grasped.
>> --
>> Bonne route,
>>
>> Sandy
>> Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

>Don't sweat it Sandy. Jobst is extremely knowledgeable about bicycles.
>However, he seems to have a few character oddities. He states the truth
>and has no tolerance for the ignorant - i.e. he is not a teacher. He
>speaks in absolutes - his world seems to be entirely in black and
>white. He is often incomprehensible - I am a technical person but about
>half the time when I read his posts I really cannot figure out what he
>is saying even after reading them over and over. Whatever he is saying,
>I am sure it is clear to him. I do not know him and have not met him
>but I get the impression that English might not be his native language.
>
>Anyway, that said, his technical knowledge and experience in regard to
>bicycles is vast, reliable and may be unequaled. Don't be offended by
>him and try to figure out what he is saying.

Dear Wheel,

Sometimes, unfortunately, it's just unambiguous balderdash,
such as fierce assertions that titanium doesn't spark or
that front chain rings don't wear enough to strip new chains
off.

It says something about judgement when someone is just as
insistent, rude, and arrogant when he's right as when he's
flat wrong.

Carl Fogel

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote:

> Go to any shop that sells Trek, LeMond, Fisher or Klein. You'll
> find many of the rims have small, black-painted recessed squares
> in the braking surface. Those are the wear indicators.
> Unfortunately, they appeared before any explanation, so most
> people thought they were defects.

Maybe they *were* defects originally, but Trek decided it was cheaper
to call them a feature than to fix the production process.

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply)