Bamboo bikes to End Poverty?

spdrecrd

Guest
You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...

http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

spdrecrd ??? wrote:
> You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
> But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
> Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
> their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...
>
> http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

If they can can sell them from $2695 to $3195 per frame like Craig
Calfee [1], yes they would escape poverty.

[1] <http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboo.htm>.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:24:50 -0700, spdrecrd
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
>But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
>Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
>their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...
>
>http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

I dunno, but evidence posted here indicates that bamboo is probably a
more durable frame material than carbon fiber.

still me wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:24:50 -0700, spdrecrd
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
>> But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
>> Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
>> their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...
>>
>> http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

> I dunno, but evidence posted here indicates that bamboo is probably a
> more durable frame material than carbon fiber.

Them thar fightin' words to Kentucky Bourbon Man.

still me wrote:
> I dunno, but evidence posted here indicates that bamboo is probably a
> more durable frame material than carbon fiber.

We haven't discussed effects of mold and termites yet.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Part of the finishing process is to treat and surface the frames in
order to prevent both... But alas, nothing lasts forever. Metals rust
or corrode...

On Oct 27, 10:24 am, spdrecrd <[email protected]> wrote:
> You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
> But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
> Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
> their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...
>
> http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

A frame is not a bicycle. Show me a bike with bamboo gears and a
bamboo chain and I'll show you a bike to end poverty. I skimmed the
article and then did a search for the word "component" to make sure I
wasn't missing something here. They seem to have totally ignored the
issue.

spdrecrd wrote:
> You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
> But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
> Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
> their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...
>
> http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

This seems rather odd, as I understand it.

It'd be like Kenya sending Masai tribesmen into New York City to teach
all the inner-city kids how to hunt goats with a spear, so they'll ever
go hungry.
~

Doug Cimper wrote:
> spdrecrd wrote:
>> You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
>> But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
>> Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
>> their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...
>>
>> http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176
>>

> This seems rather odd, as I understand it.
>
> It'd be like Kenya sending Masai tribesmen into New York City to teach
> all the inner-city kids how to hunt goats with a spear, so they'll ever
> go hungry.

Plenty of "long pig" to hunt in NYC. ;)

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?