Bamboo cutting boards -- pro and con

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Cl, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Cl

    Cl Guest

    We just acquired a bamboo cutting board. The tag says that bamboo is 16% harder than maple.

    Is this extra hardness a good or bad thing?

    For example, is bamboo too hard for knives, and will we need to sharpen them more often than if we
    use our other wooden boards?

    Thanks for any advice. (For email, remove "zz" from the address.)

    Tags:

  2. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    I don't know, but I'd like to hear what your experience is.

    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

    "CL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We just acquired a bamboo cutting board. The tag says that bamboo is 16% harder than maple.
    >
    > Is this extra hardness a good or bad thing?
    >
    > For example, is bamboo too hard for knives, and will we need to sharpen
    them
    > more often than if we use our other wooden boards?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice. (For email, remove "zz" from the address.)

  3. JLove98905

    JLove98905 Guest

    We just got a pretty bamboo cutting board, which may or may not be like what you had in mind....

    It's actually lots of tiny little bamboo stalks packed together, and cut crosswise (as opposed to
    longitudinally), so that you're really looking down into the teeny little stalks all packed in next
    to each other. There is no space in between any of the stalks, and it's sanded down to be extremely
    smooth. It feels for all the world like a solid piece of wood

    It performs very well as a cutting board. I was very afraid to cut strawberries on it, for fear that
    it would stain, but it's still pristine. And it seems soft enough that you could nick it with the
    tip of a knife, so I don't worry about it damaging my knives, but yet it still looks brand new
    despite months of daily use.

    Love mine. -Jen Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

  4. B . Server

    B . Server Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:28:18 -0600, "CL" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >We just acquired a bamboo cutting board. The tag says that bamboo is 16% harder than maple.
    >
    >Is this extra hardness a good or bad thing?
    >
    >For example, is bamboo too hard for knives, and will we need to sharpen them more often than if we
    >use our other wooden boards?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice. (For email, remove "zz" from the address.)

    I have not used a bamboo cutting board but have used a number of laminated bamboo materials; most of
    which were originally intended as strip flooring. Given that the material (bamboo) is similar, I
    would expect the end product to have similar properties.

    The only problem with the flooring that I have found is in cutting it with power tools. The bamboo
    seems to me to have a higher proportion of adhesives compared to similar veneered wood products,
    leading to more burning if the match of blade and blade speed is wrong.

    Bamboo also contains a relatively high proportion of silica, that might cause some dulling if you
    sawed on the cutting board with a knife. Not something that I would think very important.

    How was the board finished? What maintenance is suggested?

  5. B . Server

    B . Server Guest

    On 29 Feb 2004 04:50:30 GMT, [email protected] (JLove98905)
    wrote:

    >We just got a pretty bamboo cutting board, which may or may not be like what you had in mind....
    >
    >It's actually lots of tiny little bamboo stalks packed together, and cut crosswise (as opposed to
    >longitudinally), so that you're really looking down into the teeny little stalks all packed in next
    >to each other. There is no space in between any of the stalks, and it's sanded down to be extremely
    >smooth. It feels for all the world like a solid piece of wood

    {...]

    Jen,

    Could you post a clue as to the source? (URL, manufacturer, seller?) I am interested in the material
    more than this particular use of it.

    thanks,

  6. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-02-29, JLove98905 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > We just got a pretty bamboo cutting board, which may or may not be like what you had in mind....

    Bamboo is great in the kitchen. It's bullet proof and never stains. So, I was expecting no problems
    when I bought a beautiful bamboo cutting board to use at a cheese tasting. It was as you discribe,
    only different colors of bamboo in a very ornate design. Unfortunately, dispite never immersing the
    board (just wiped it), when I pulled it out at the party, I noticed it had cracked open in 3 places.
    It cracked in one other place before I could return it, completely unused.

    nb

  7. B . Server

    B . Server Guest