Ban Handlebars

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    I think we need a law to ban handlebars on children's bikes.

    Acton CHC, Thomas S, Clark R, Pitt WR, Nixon JW and Leditschke JF. Bicycle incidents in children -
    abdominal trauma and handlebars. Med J Aust. 1994;160:344-346.

    Tony

    Tags:

  2. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    > I think we need a law to ban handlebars on children's bikes.
    >
    > Acton CHC, Thomas S, Clark R, Pitt WR, Nixon JW and Leditschke JF. Bicycle incidents in children -
    > abdominal trauma and handlebars. Med J Aust. 1994;160:344-346.
    >
    > Tony

    And why not ban chains while we're at it? After all, the kiddies might get they're fingers cut of in
    the sprokets... ; )

    Pete W

  3. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    My cousin did just that quite a few years ago now. 'What's that funny noise coming from my chain? I'll just put my finger there and pedal' Thinks he, result first joint neatly lopped off his inddex finger by the chainwheel, oh and lot of screaming as you'd expect form a 7 year old.

    He's a chef now and tells people he got it chopped off at work, slightly less embarassing I suppose.

    Bryan

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > I think we need a law to ban handlebars on children's bikes.
    >
    > Acton CHC, Thomas S, Clark R, Pitt WR, Nixon JW and Leditschke JF. Bicycle incidents in children -
    > abdominal trauma and handlebars. Med J Aust. 1994;160:344-346.

    No -- you just need a polystyrene beanie to wrap round the child's waist.

  5. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    "Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Pete White wrote:
    > > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.denews:[email protected]
    > > > I think we need a law to ban handlebars on children's bikes.
    > > >
    > > > Acton CHC, Thomas S, Clark R, Pitt WR, Nixon JW and Leditschke JF. Bicycle incidents in
    > > > children - abdominal trauma and handlebars. Med
    > > > Aust. 1994;160:344-346.
    > > >
    > > > Tony
    > > And why not ban chains while we're at it? After all, the kiddies might get they're fingers cut
    > > of in the sprokets... ; ) Pete W
    >

    > My cousin did just that quite a few years ago now. 'What's that funny noise coming from my chain?
    > I'll just put my finger there and pedal' Thinks he, result first joint neatly lopped off his
    > inddex finger by the chainwheel, oh and lot of screaming as you'd expect form a 7 year old.
    >
    > He's a chef now and tells people he got it chopped off at work, slightly less embarassing I
    > suppose.
    >
    > Bryan

    OUCH!

    Pete White

  6. Ric

    Ric Guest

    > My cousin did just that quite a few years ago now. 'What's that funny noise coming from my chain?
    > I'll just put my finger there and pedal' Thinks he, result first joint neatly lopped off his
    > inddex finger by the chainwheel, oh and lot of screaming as you'd expect form a 7 year old.

    When my bro was about the same age he was descending a long hill and feeling he was going too fast
    stuck his foot in the front spokes. Huge crash but no permanent injury (well maybe not - he left
    school early and both other bros have PhDs).

  7. W K

    W K Guest

    "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > My cousin did just that quite a few years ago now. 'What's that funny noise coming from my
    > > chain? I'll just put my finger there and pedal' Thinks he, result first joint neatly lopped off
    > > his inddex finger by the chainwheel, oh and lot of screaming as you'd expect form a 7 year old.
    > >
    > When my bro was about the same age he was descending a long hill and
    feeling
    > he was going too fast stuck his foot in the front spokes.

    I have mentioned this before, but after 2 weeks touring on a tandem, I was back on my road(ish)
    bike. Reaching down for where the water bottle had been for 2 weeks, I found spokes (~20 mph).