Ban Handlebars

Tony Raven

Guest
I think we need a law to ban handlebars on children's bikes.

Acton CHC, Thomas S, Clark R, Pitt WR, Nixon JW and Leditschke JF. Bicycle incidents in children -
abdominal trauma and handlebars. Med J Aust. 1994;160:344-346.

Tony

> I think we need a law to ban handlebars on children's bikes.
>
> Acton CHC, Thomas S, Clark R, Pitt WR, Nixon JW and Leditschke JF. Bicycle incidents in children -
> abdominal trauma and handlebars. Med J Aust. 1994;160:344-346.
>
> Tony

And why not ban chains while we're at it? After all, the kiddies might get they're fingers cut of in
the sprokets... ; )

Pete W

Originally posted by Pete White
> I think we need a law to ban handlebars on children's bikes.
>
> Acton CHC, Thomas S, Clark R, Pitt WR, Nixon JW and Leditschke JF. Bicycle incidents in children -
> abdominal trauma and handlebars. Med J Aust. 1994;160:344-346.
>
> Tony

And why not ban chains while we're at it? After all, the kiddies might get they're fingers cut of in
the sprokets... ; )

Pete W

My cousin did just that quite a few years ago now. 'What's that funny noise coming from my chain? I'll just put my finger there and pedal' Thinks he, result first joint neatly lopped off his inddex finger by the chainwheel, oh and lot of screaming as you'd expect form a 7 year old.

He's a chef now and tells people he got it chopped off at work, slightly less embarassing I suppose.

Bryan

> I think we need a law to ban handlebars on children's bikes.
>
> Acton CHC, Thomas S, Clark R, Pitt WR, Nixon JW and Leditschke JF. Bicycle incidents in children -
> abdominal trauma and handlebars. Med J Aust. 1994;160:344-346.

No -- you just need a polystyrene beanie to wrap round the child's waist.

"Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pete White wrote:
> > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> > berlin.denews:[email protected]...
> > > I think we need a law to ban handlebars on children's bikes.
> > >
> > > Acton CHC, Thomas S, Clark R, Pitt WR, Nixon JW and Leditschke JF. Bicycle incidents in
> > > children - abdominal trauma and handlebars. Med
> > > Aust. 1994;160:344-346.
> > >
> > > Tony
> > And why not ban chains while we're at it? After all, the kiddies might get they're fingers cut
> > of in the sprokets... ; ) Pete W
>

> My cousin did just that quite a few years ago now. 'What's that funny noise coming from my chain?
> I'll just put my finger there and pedal' Thinks he, result first joint neatly lopped off his
> inddex finger by the chainwheel, oh and lot of screaming as you'd expect form a 7 year old.
>
> He's a chef now and tells people he got it chopped off at work, slightly less embarassing I
> suppose.
>
> Bryan

OUCH!

Pete White

> My cousin did just that quite a few years ago now. 'What's that funny noise coming from my chain?
> I'll just put my finger there and pedal' Thinks he, result first joint neatly lopped off his
> inddex finger by the chainwheel, oh and lot of screaming as you'd expect form a 7 year old.

When my bro was about the same age he was descending a long hill and feeling he was going too fast
stuck his foot in the front spokes. Huge crash but no permanent injury (well maybe not - he left
school early and both other bros have PhDs).

"Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > My cousin did just that quite a few years ago now. 'What's that funny noise coming from my
> > chain? I'll just put my finger there and pedal' Thinks he, result first joint neatly lopped off
> > his inddex finger by the chainwheel, oh and lot of screaming as you'd expect form a 7 year old.
> >
> When my bro was about the same age he was descending a long hill and
feeling
> he was going too fast stuck his foot in the front spokes.

I have mentioned this before, but after 2 weeks touring on a tandem, I was back on my road(ish)
bike. Reaching down for where the water bottle had been for 2 weeks, I found spokes (~20 mph).