Banana peels

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
Is it acceptable to hurl your empty peel into the foliage
(making sure that your not going to scone some unsuspecting person, first of course)

i have been getting into the habit of scoffing a banana on my morning commute as i cant stand eating the 'bix before i set out. makes me feel flat (unless well beforehand) and if i dont devour it before i get to dight falls I run out of reasonable places to 'park' it

>Originally posted by flyingdutch
>Is it acceptable to hurl your empty peel into the foliage

Acceptable I'm not sure, but I will admit to having done
the same thing. I don't eat 'nanas much any more though
and certainly not while on the bike - there's more compact
and nicer tasting sources of energy that don't get mushed
into your jersey pocket.

hippy

On my long weekend rides, I generally put the bannana peel back in my jersey (that may disgust some readers). I then take it out when I get to Cafe Racer.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it acceptable to hurl your empty peel into the foliage
> (making sure that your not going to scone some
> unsuspecting person, first of course)
>
> i have been getting into the habit of scoffing a banana on
> my morning commute as i cant stand eating the 'bix before
> i set out. makes me feel flat (unless well beforehand) and
> if i dont devour it before i get to dight falls I run out
> of reasonable places to 'park' it

No. It's not acceptable. Sure they decompose - eventually.
In the meantime we're left with a little pile of ugly,
rotting fruit skin. Carry a little bag in your pocket and
put the skin in there until you can dispose of it properly.

To help - would you throw <insert whatever you wish to
throw> on your kitchen floor and leave it there?

No?

Then don't throw it. ;^)

Tony F http://www.thefathippy.com

I would considering it acceptable to throw my nana skin into
the bushes in my garden. Must be ok to do the same in the
bushes on the side or the road/bike path!

"tony f" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Is it acceptable to hurl your empty peel into the
> > foliage (making sure that your not going to scone some
> > unsuspecting person, first of course)
> >
> > i have been getting into the habit of scoffing a banana
> > on my morning commute as i cant stand eating the 'bix
> > before i set out. makes me feel flat (unless well
> > beforehand) and if i dont devour it before i get to
> > dight falls I run out of reasonable places to 'park' it
>
> No. It's not acceptable. Sure they decompose - eventually.
> In the meantime we're left with a little pile of ugly,
> rotting fruit skin. Carry a little bag in your pocket and
> put the skin in there until you can dispose of it
> properly.
>
> To help - would you throw <insert whatever you wish to
> throw> on your kitchen floor and leave it there?
>
> No?
>
> Then don't throw it. ;^)
>
> Tony F http://www.thefathippy.com

"Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would considering it acceptable to throw my nana skin
> into the bushes in my garden. Must be ok to do the same in
> the bushes on the side or the road/bike path!

I agree. I have a "Birds Nest" that is a monster due to me
throwing vegetable scaps in there. Sure it is a little pile
because I throw it in the same place every time but this
thing devours it.

To say that it would create a pile in the bush is
nonsensical as you would have to be pretty skilled to do so.
If it goes into the bush then fine. If it is landing on a
footpath or a place where there is foot traffic then that is
not appropriate.

Wild fruit trees do it, they drop fruit in the same location
all the time... shame on them :)

I guess you've just got to ask the question - what would the cops do if they saw you throwing a banana peel into the bushes?

jazmo wrote in message ...
>I guess you've just got to ask the question - what would
>the cops do if they saw you throwing a banana peel into
>the bushes?

organise 2 cars, 4 motorbikes to track you the following
week. Each motorbike would race ahead and press the
pedestrian crossing so you always get red lights. The others
would be taking digital photos to make sure you chew 10
times before swallowing and never throw a banana peel again.

"jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I guess you've just got to ask the question - what would
> the cops do if they saw you throwing a banana peel into
> the bushes?

The probability of the cops doing anything would be the same
as landing the peel in the same place everyday to create
said pile.

"jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On my long weekend rides, I generally put the bannana peel
> back in my jersey (that may disgust some readers). I then
> take it out when I get to Cafe Racer.

To tell you truth, vegetation to me is sacred. I never
discard rubbish no matter if it is biodegradable or not. It
is debatable whether it is a problem if it goes right into
the bush. All my vegetable waste comes home with me to go
into compost. I cringe when I am at someones house and they
throw vegetables in the bin. I think what a waste even
though most would consider that a little strange. Oh well.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it acceptable to hurl your empty peel into the foliage
> (making sure that your not going to scone some
> unsuspecting person, first of course)

What do _you_ think???

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

yogi bear <[email protected]> wrote:

> jazmo wrote in message ...
>>I guess you've just got to ask the question - what would
>>the cops do if they saw you throwing a banana peel into
>>the bushes?
>>
> organise 2 cars, 4 motorbikes to track you the following
> week. Each motorbike would race ahead and press the
> pedestrian crossing so you always get red lights. The
> others would be taking digital photos to make sure you
> chew 10 times before swallowing and never throw a banana
> peel again.

Hehehe.

That'd be the Flying Fruit Squad.

Why not just put the peel in your jersey pocket. It's gonna
need a wash anyway.

Or just eat the whole banana 'neat'.

--
Nick

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:43:57 +0000, tony f wrote:

>> Is it acceptable to hurl your empty peel into the foliage
>> (making sure that your not going to scone some
>> unsuspecting person, first of course)
>
> No. It's not acceptable. Sure they decompose - eventually.
> In the meantime we're left with a little pile of ugly,
> rotting fruit skin. Carry a little bag in your pocket and
> put the skin in there until you can dispose of it
> properly.

I reckon it depends on the circumstances. I chuck my 'nanas
into the bush all the time - but that bush is the side of a
paddock, not someone's front garden (although I do chuck
them into my garden too).

> To help - would you throw <insert whatever you wish to
> throw> on your kitchen floor and leave it there?

Our kids do... does that help ?

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected])
http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle

John Doe wrote:
> "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>On my long weekend rides, I generally put the bannana peel
>>back in my jersey (that may disgust some readers). I then
>>take it out when I get to Cafe Racer.
>>

> To tell you truth, vegetation to me is sacred. I never
> discard rubbish no matter if it is biodegradable or not.
> It is debatable whether it is a problem if it goes right
> into the bush. All my vegetable waste comes home with me
> to go into compost. I cringe when I am at someones house
> and they throw vegetables in the bin. I think what a
> waste even though most would consider that a little
> strange. Oh well.

I think vegetation is sacred too. That is why it is better
to disgard the peel in the bush. Atleast that some nutrients
are "returned" to the biosphere. Once other animals would
spread fertiliser over the land, now that we have forced
them out of a number of habitats then we have to take over
that job. I suppose that what council gardeners do.

I think vegetation is sacred too. That is why it is better
to disgard the peel in the bush. Atleast that some nutrients
are "returned" to the biosphere. Once other animals would
spread fertiliser over the land, now that we have forced
them out of a number of habitats then we have to take over
that job. I suppose that what council gardeners do. [/B]

That's my theory. putting it in the pocket just aint on, when on longer rides as I have other stuff in there too, which means 'goopy' hands if I have to rummage past a used peel.

I dont mean front gardens, i mean foreshore areas along Beach rd or bikepath areas aways from the 'maddening crowds'

PS have you ever tried to get one into a large skip doing 40-50kph. Its darned hard! :confused:

agamlen wrote:

> I think vegetation is sacred too. That is why it is better
> to disgard the peel in the bush.

Whilst the occassional banana may not seem significant, this
same attitude applied to garden and household waste is
destroying urban bushland.

Garden and household green waste when dumped in the bush
changes the nutrient cycle and allows the invasion of exotic
species, apart from the fact that often it takes root.

If you want to return stuff to the biosphere, have a home
compost bin and/or encourage you local council to collect
green waste separately.

>Originally posted by Terry Collins
>Whilst the occassional banana may not seem significant,
>this same attitude applied to garden and household waste
>is destroying urban bushland.
>Garden and household green waste when dumped in the
>bush changes the nutrient cycle and allows the invasion
>of exotic species, apart from the fact that often it takes root.

We are talking about a banana peel here, thrown off the side
of a 'road'. This isn't some super sensitive wildlife reserve, likely
to fall apart due to the slightest disturbence...
It's nothing like people dumping their (usually large piles of) garden waste into the bush - that, I do not agree with.

That being said, I don't carry 'nanas and I was always brought
up with my folks telling me "that's fertilizer, it's ok to chuck it" so I'm (possibly wrongly) biased. Sorry nature lovers :p

hippy

I wonder where the last 3,000 years of civilisation has put their banana skins ( not including those sacrificed for charlie chaplin movies)?

cmon, its a banana skin. Good organic matter for the soil.

There are no seeds in a banana skin so the chance of spreading an exotic species is nonexistent.

Maybe it would be easier to eat a banana museli bar:rolleyes:

Originally posted by byron27
Maybe it would be easier to eat a banana museli bar:rolleyes:

Nah, then you've got the plastic coated, papery kinda
wrapper thingamebob to deal with.. :p

hippy