BANG FOR THE BUCK-BEST VALUE?

I bought this LOOK KG 286 Monoquoce Carbon Frame set in early 2000... , but did not start riding it until Sept. 2001... right before 9-11 ! Frame weights in at 3 lbs. for a 56cm. This frame set only came in a 50, 53, 56, and 59 ..... and only in Yellow or Pasel Orange( yes..... I am glad I choose this color !!! Its different !!!)

Its a dream. I got the frameset for $1K ........., it has mostly Campy Record 9spd on it..... + Chorus cassette , Mavic rims , ITM bar + stem , LOOK Carbon ergo-post , Selle Italia Novus Carbon saddle.............. The ultimate in shock absorption.... + stiffness +++++++

All this for just a tad under $2K !

In just over 2 years of riding her, I've put on approx. 5K miles ..... trouble free miles..... and is a joy to ride.

Beat that
:) http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/yoda1/l15.jpg

Originally posted by Old Monty
In the $2400-$2700 range, given any frame material, ie: carbon, aluminum, steel, or composite, which bike gives the most bang for the buck? My analysis leads me to the Cannondale R2000. What do others think?

If you have that kind of money, why go with Trek or C-dale? I'm partial to my 2002 Orbea (full alu frame, carbon fork, Ultegra, R540s, etc.) which cost US$1,500, and you can find a sweetly spec'd steel w/ carbon rear triangle or alu w/ carbon rear triangle in that price range.

Everyone and their uncle has a GD Trek. Get something else, or at least buy the Cannondale.

Originally posted by isdsms
Assuming a 35% markup on a bike that retails for $2400, pretty amazing!!!!

Yea! That's what I thought, so I ordered it on Saturday. I just got back into road riding after a long stint on my mountain bike. I forgot how fun riding on the road can be. That is except for my old road bike I'm using now - my 1985 Cannondale with straight gage aluminum frame. I'm sure this is the frame that gave Cannondale such a bad reputation for having a harsh ride. Man is this frame stiff! :)

you said that you might do a few tri's with it. In my oppinion i would look at airbourne. they make a nice ti bike i have the specter tt bike and i love it.

Originally posted by amdzim
Cannondale R2000 does give great value but there is some question about durability of the frame. Giant composite is also a good buy in this range. Trek 5200 is probably a little less of a value but you can't go wrong. Also look at the Kestrel Talon and the new LeMond combo frames are intersting and fairly priced.

The durability issue shouldn´t be a problem, cannondale has a lifetime guarantee on frames...

Yes, it's surprising how many people believe that Cannondale and Trek offer a lifetime warranty against "wear and tear" or fatigue damage. I've read their warranties, and they exclude this type of failure.

This is reasonable, IMO. After all, if we expect the manufacturer to pay for lifetime replacement frames for Joe Racer hammering 10-20K miles/year, the costs would only have to be passed through to us buyers.

Have to applaud Cannondale for being up front with their customers about the fatigue issue. The CAAD7 seems to be a very strong and durable sub-2.5 lb frame. It should last the average recreational rider many years, IMO.

Sanobike, a local builder here, has either a 3 yr or 5 yr warranty against fatigue failures, depending on the type and weight of material selected for the frame. Other custom/race frame builders probably have something similar. This is in addition to the "standard" lifetime warranty against defects.

I started riding a Cannondale R2000 and thought it felt fantastic. When it got stolen I replaced it with a Look KG361 and have been extremely impressed with the feel of the bike. After upgrading to Ksyrium SL's I have spent a tpotal of about $2,500 - slightly less than the Cannondale cost me with Ultegra components.

Best? Well, I stay away from superlatives, but certainly in the price range you're discussing, you should include the Giant TCR-1. Same frame as the team bikes (like Trek) with slightly lesser components - Ultegra. But, they throw in a carbon crank and Time pedals, which is what makes it impressive.

Originally posted by ccurry007
Best? Well, I stay away from superlatives, but certainly in the price range you're discussing, you should include the Giant TCR-1. Same frame as the team bikes (like Trek) with slightly lesser components - Ultegra. But, they throw in a carbon crank and Time pedals, which is what makes it impressive.

I have to agree the Giant TCR 1 OR even the 2 are sweet deals for what you are getting! And the 2 can be had for under $2,000.00 if you look.

I've heard good things from people who have the Douglas Fusion from Colorado. Looks like it compares favorably with the R2000 for about $800 less.
Easton 7005 Ultralight aluminum . Reynolds Ride-Tuned carbon seat stays, replaceable derailleur hanger.
Fork: Reynolds Ouzo Comp with alloy steerer, integrated 1 1/8”.
Frame Weight: (57cm) 2 lbs., 13 oz.
Components: Shimano® Ultegra 9-speed STI® Flight Deck shifter/brake levers, derailleurs, cassette (12-25), brakeset, bottom bracket, HG-73® chain; FSA Carbon Pro crankset (39x53) or (30x42x53), FSA Orbit headset; Velomax Circuit wheelset; Vredestein Fortezza TriComp 700x23 tires; Ritchey WCS bar and stem, Easton EC70 seat post; .

The Giant TCR seems pretty loaded up for the cash. I noticed one at the local shop recently and the build quality appears to be fantastic and the price is a lot lower than any C'Dale with the same level components. C'Dales are nice, but not exactly bargain priced.

Originally posted by serenaslu
I've heard good things from people who have the Douglas Fusion from Colorado. Looks like it compares favorably with the R2000 for about $800 less.
Easton 7005 Ultralight aluminum . Reynolds Ride-Tuned carbon seat stays, replaceable derailleur hanger.
Fork: Reynolds Ouzo Comp with alloy steerer, integrated 1 1/8”.
Frame Weight: (57cm) 2 lbs., 13 oz.
Components: Shimano® Ultegra 9-speed STI® Flight Deck shifter/brake levers, derailleurs, cassette (12-25), brakeset, bottom bracket, HG-73® chain; FSA Carbon Pro crankset (39x53) or (30x42x53), FSA Orbit headset; Velomax Circuit wheelset; Vredestein Fortezza TriComp 700x23 tires; Ritchey WCS bar and stem, Easton EC70 seat post; .

Fusion looks like one of the best bargain-bikes out there to me.

Originally posted by dhk
Fusion looks like one of the best bargain-bikes out there to me.

Yes, I still think it is on paper, but...
<mount soapbox>
I have been very turned off by Colorado's cust. service. Their geometry specs are very incomplete and actually from last years model (even if they are identical which I question for C-T measurements for a different frame with irregular cross sectioned top tube shape). They would not even provide a standover height for a specific sized bike upon direct request, saying that they did not have that information!!
I don't know how in the world they expect someone to order a sight-unseen bike without even having basic info. available.
<dismount soapbox>

How about the Specialized Allez Pro? Dura Ace 10, Mavic Elites, compact geometry, etc. for MSRP $2,800.00, but goes for more like $2,400 at my LBS. Or, if you want to save some money for bells and whistles (think, Profile Design Aero Bars), the Allez Comp has Ultegra 9, Mavic Equipes, and is only $1,600.

Originally posted by serenaslu
Yes, I still think it is on paper, but...
<mount soapbox>
I have been very turned off by Colorado's cust. service. Their geometry specs are very incomplete and actually from last years model (even if they are identical which I question for C-T measurements for a different frame with irregular cross sectioned top tube shape). They would not even provide a standover height for a specific sized bike upon direct request, saying that they did not have that information!!
I don't know how in the world they expect someone to order a sight-unseen bike without even having basic info. available.
<dismount soapbox>

Sounds like they don't know what they are selling, or don't have enough tech employees on staff who can go out and measure a frame for you and reply. Or, maybe they are sourcing from several framebuilders in Asia and the sizes vary.

I'd say they just expect people to order based on the low price, and not ask too many questions.

I ride a TCR 2, same as the TCR1 without the pedals and CF Crankset. You want power..... it has PLENTY, you want light.....its way near the light end of the scale, you want price......our $ is about 66c US, the TCR is $2000 cheaper than the Scott/Trek equivalent and imo a better bike. Bang for Bucks? how can you go past this......:D

Originally posted by Fixey
I ride a TCR 2, same as the TCR1 without the pedals and CF Crankset. You want power..... it has PLENTY, you want light.....its way near the light end of the scale, you want price......our $ is about 66c US, the TCR is $2000 cheaper than the Scott/Trek equivalent and imo a better bike. Bang for Bucks? how can you go past this......:D
Same wheelsets and all ultegra?