Bang!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Zog The Undeniable, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Well, the puncture fairy got me good and proper tonight after a
    blemish-free decade.

    On a rare excursion along a psychlepaths (that's somewhere I'm not going
    again) my back tyre exploded. There's a 10mm cut in the sidewall -
    obviously caused by glass - and the tube had poked out and popped. I
    pulled out the tube (this is on the track bike, and I don't carry a
    spanner for the wheel nuts), patched the thankfully not-too-large cut
    and while that was drying found a Lambert and Butler packet in the
    undergrowth [1] to make a boot for the tyre.

    Reinflated with CO2 to a moderate pressure and heroically declining the
    offers of a local couple to use their home phone, rode off. I got
    within a mile of home before it exploded again as the boot finally gave
    up. Fair enough, I thought, and walked the last 20 minutes in my socks
    to save my cleats.

    I suppose I really ought to moan at the council - I've never seen anyone
    sweep a psychlepath in Swindon and the local yoofs do like to smash
    bottles on them for entertainment.

    [1] the advantage of puncturing in a council estate!

    Tags:

  2. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:52:53 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[1] the advantage of puncturing in a council estate!

    Snob!

    I guess you think Dunhill are a better class of cancer sticks.

  3. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, the puncture fairy got me good and proper tonight after a
    >blemish-free decade.
    >
    >On a rare excursion along a psychlepaths (that's somewhere I'm not going
    >again) my back tyre exploded. There's a 10mm cut in the sidewall -
    >obviously caused by glass - and the tube had poked out and popped. I
    >pulled out the tube (this is on the track bike, and I don't carry a
    >spanner for the wheel nuts), patched the thankfully not-too-large cut
    >and while that was drying found a Lambert and Butler packet in the
    >undergrowth [1] to make a boot for the tyre.
    >
    >Reinflated with CO2 to a moderate pressure and heroically declining the
    >offers of a local couple to use their home phone, rode off. I got
    >within a mile of home before it exploded again as the boot finally gave
    >up. Fair enough, I thought, and walked the last 20 minutes in my socks
    >to save my cleats.
    >
    >I suppose I really ought to moan at the council - I've never seen anyone
    >sweep a psychlepath in Swindon and the local yoofs do like to smash
    >bottles on them for entertainment.
    >
    >[1] the advantage of puncturing in a council estate!

    Why not cary a foldable tyre, spare tube, and a spanner to get the
    rear wheel off ??? Save a lot of hassle / walking if your out in the
    sticks ............

  4. Gonzalez wrote:

    > Snob!
    >
    > I guess you think Dunhill are a better class of cancer sticks.

    Heh. You just don't get as much litter in the "nice" estates (but then
    passers-by probably wouldn't offer you their phone either).

  5. Jack Ouzzi wrote:

    > Why not cary a foldable tyre, spare tube, and a spanner to get the
    > rear wheel off ??? Save a lot of hassle / walking if your out in the
    > sticks ............

    I now have some Park tyre boots. Somewhat more weight-efficient.

  6. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Gonzalez wrote:
    >
    > > Snob!
    > >
    > > I guess you think Dunhill are a better class of cancer sticks.

    > Heh. You just don't get as much litter in the "nice" estates (but then
    > passers-by probably wouldn't offer you their phone either).

    And in teh really 'nice' estates (manned guardhouses at teh gated
    entrances, that kind of thing - we have a few round here) you don't
    get so much as a fallen leaf littering up teh place.

    Mind you, you don't get to cycle through them either.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|