Bang!

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
Well, the puncture fairy got me good and proper tonight after a
blemish-free decade.

On a rare excursion along a psychlepaths (that's somewhere I'm not going
again) my back tyre exploded. There's a 10mm cut in the sidewall -
obviously caused by glass - and the tube had poked out and popped. I
pulled out the tube (this is on the track bike, and I don't carry a
spanner for the wheel nuts), patched the thankfully not-too-large cut
and while that was drying found a Lambert and Butler packet in the
undergrowth [1] to make a boot for the tyre.

Reinflated with CO2 to a moderate pressure and heroically declining the
offers of a local couple to use their home phone, rode off. I got
within a mile of home before it exploded again as the boot finally gave
up. Fair enough, I thought, and walked the last 20 minutes in my socks
to save my cleats.

I suppose I really ought to moan at the council - I've never seen anyone
sweep a psychlepath in Swindon and the local yoofs do like to smash
bottles on them for entertainment.

[1] the advantage of puncturing in a council estate!

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:52:53 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[1] the advantage of puncturing in a council estate!

Snob!

I guess you think Dunhill are a better class of cancer sticks.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, the puncture fairy got me good and proper tonight after a
>blemish-free decade.
>
>On a rare excursion along a psychlepaths (that's somewhere I'm not going
>again) my back tyre exploded. There's a 10mm cut in the sidewall -
>obviously caused by glass - and the tube had poked out and popped. I
>pulled out the tube (this is on the track bike, and I don't carry a
>spanner for the wheel nuts), patched the thankfully not-too-large cut
>and while that was drying found a Lambert and Butler packet in the
>undergrowth [1] to make a boot for the tyre.
>
>Reinflated with CO2 to a moderate pressure and heroically declining the
>offers of a local couple to use their home phone, rode off. I got
>within a mile of home before it exploded again as the boot finally gave
>up. Fair enough, I thought, and walked the last 20 minutes in my socks
>to save my cleats.
>
>I suppose I really ought to moan at the council - I've never seen anyone
>sweep a psychlepath in Swindon and the local yoofs do like to smash
>bottles on them for entertainment.
>
>[1] the advantage of puncturing in a council estate!

Why not cary a foldable tyre, spare tube, and a spanner to get the
rear wheel off ??? Save a lot of hassle / walking if your out in the
sticks ............

Gonzalez wrote:

> Snob!
>
> I guess you think Dunhill are a better class of cancer sticks.

Heh. You just don't get as much litter in the "nice" estates (but then
passers-by probably wouldn't offer you their phone either).

Jack Ouzzi wrote:

> Why not cary a foldable tyre, spare tube, and a spanner to get the
> rear wheel off ??? Save a lot of hassle / walking if your out in the
> sticks ............

I now have some Park tyre boots. Somewhat more weight-efficient.

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
> Gonzalez wrote:
>
> > Snob!
> >
> > I guess you think Dunhill are a better class of cancer sticks.

> Heh. You just don't get as much litter in the "nice" estates (but then
> passers-by probably wouldn't offer you their phone either).

And in teh really 'nice' estates (manned guardhouses at teh gated
entrances, that kind of thing - we have a few round here) you don't
get so much as a fallen leaf littering up teh place.

Mind you, you don't get to cycle through them either.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|