Banning Night Riding

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by Corzhens, Dec 5, 2015.

1. sharkantropo

sharkantropo Member

Does the local bicycle riders community help in promoting light safety during night riders? Would be more effective to prevent night accidents than the state meddling its nose in business that is not capable to solve but by only appealing to retarded banning.

2. JetWing34

JetWing34 New Member

My city's local ordinance regarding to anything on the road, whether its cars or bicycles for examples, states it is a requirement to have headlights AND taillights on at all times. Lights must be activated 30 minutes before sunset and off 30 minutes after sunrise.

I don't know why you would flat out ban night riding, unless bike makers are making a push to say "Do not ride at night."

3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

While I may not ride in the evenings, mainly because I wish to avoid drunk drivers, muggers and other potential criminals. Nevertheless, it would absolutely suck if the government in my country decided to ban night riding. As I could move to a safer part of the country, and decide to partake in a bit of night riding.

4. flgliderpilot

flgliderpilot New Member

Makes no sense. Why install more lights? Thats just dumb and adds needlessly to light pollution. Just require adequate lights on the bike, then the cost is in the cyclist's hands.

I can't see how banning cycling vs requiring additional lights is even a reasonable option.

5. flgliderpilot

flgliderpilot New Member

FYI muggers and criminals typically operate during daylight hours... this is when the police are most busy and unlikely to respond in a timely manner.

6. Bicycleman

Bicycleman Well-Known Member

I'm a randonneur and have a headlight mounted on the outside skewer on my front wheel as well as a blinkie tail light. When we ride night rides, we always sport a reflective vest as well as ankle reflectors. We have also been told to use a solid red light on the rear of our bikes vs. the blinking light because motorist tend to assume they are approaching a real car when the light is solid red.

7. menisa

menisa New Member

Yea, like said, banning night ride could never be the solution to the problem, whatever has to happen happens anyway. It's on our part to be careful.

8. Balajee2220

Balajee2220 New Member

Please Ban night riding

9. Emily Witwer

Emily Witwer New Member

I think it's ridiculous. That is how to avoid car accidents they think? It is important just to have specialized lights on your bike to let drivers see you riding. I saw a lot of cyclists without any identification light marks, even without a small flashlight...how is that possible???People don't bother about their health!

10. Andy Jennings

Andy Jennings Member

I tend to shy away from prolonged night riding, rural Thailand. Although I carry lights at all times the pervasive trend here is to have heavy tinting on EVERY window of a car or truck and no matter what lights you put on there is still a huge risk of accident because of this.

BUT to ban night riding is just a knee jerk reaction that could be addressed, at least in most countries, by regulation of lights on bikes to up visibility. Unfortunately there are too many riders that take it as a badge of courage to risk everything so as not use lights at night.

11. natalia-liu

natalia-liu New Member

Now the new product Acebeam L17. This is a flashlight. Acebeam L17 has 1,400 lumens, can shoot up to 802 meters long and has a battery. It is a long range tactical rechargeable hunting flashlight. There are three colors: red, white and green. And now we have a discount! https://nitetorch.com/go/t1w0

12. My Window Tinting

My Window Tinting New Member

Window Tinting Fresno. My Window Tinting provides affordable and high quality window tinting service for Home & Cars.