BANQUET DIET ??

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by -, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I bought a few Banquet frozen dinners on a whim.
    ( they were on sale for a buck apiece )

    Mashed potatoes, corn and a beef pattie w/gravy .
    Smallish portions, but probably the portions we SHOULD eat.

    I was surprised to see a calorie count of 340 for he whole meal.

    It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !

    Maybe it's time for "The Banquet Diet"
    ( I could make millions off the book )

    <rj>

    Tags:

  2. serene

    serene Guest

    <RJ> <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I bought a few Banquet frozen dinners on a whim.
    > ( they were on sale for a buck apiece )
    >
    > Mashed potatoes, corn and a beef pattie w/gravy .
    > Smallish portions, but probably the portions we SHOULD eat.
    >
    > I was surprised to see a calorie count of 340 for he whole meal.
    >
    > It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    > for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !

    Uh-huh, and you could develop a vitamin deficiency in record time, I'm
    thinking! :)

    serene

  3. aem

    aem Guest

    <RJ> wrote:
    > [snip]
    > It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    > for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !
    >
    > Maybe it's time for "The Banquet Diet"
    > ( I could make millions off the book )

    Can you imagine the self-discipline that would be needed to stay on
    such a diet? :) Anyone who could do that could instead stick to an
    'eat less, exercise more' regime and actually improve his or her
    health.... -aem

  4. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "<RJ>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I bought a few Banquet frozen dinners on a whim.
    > ( they were on sale for a buck apiece )
    >
    > Mashed potatoes, corn and a beef pattie w/gravy .
    > Smallish portions, but probably the portions we SHOULD eat.
    >
    > I was surprised to see a calorie count of 340 for he whole meal.
    >
    > It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    > for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !
    >
    > Maybe it's time for "The Banquet Diet"
    > ( I could make millions off the book )
    >

    > <rj>

    Maybe millions for the undertaker & the drug companies.

    Dimitri

    Banquet® Beef Patty & Vegetables
    frozen entree

    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 meal . 9.5 oz
    Amount Per Serving

    Calories 310Calories from Fat 180 % DV*

    Total Fat 20g 31%

    Saturated Fat 8g 40%

    Cholesterol 40mg 13%

    Sodium 1090mg 45%

    Total Carbohydrate 22g 7%

    Dietary Fiber 3g 12%

    Protein 11g 17%

    Percent of Calories from:
    Fat-58.1% Carb-28.4% Protein-14.2%
    (Total may exceed 100% due to rounding

  5. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "<RJ>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I bought a few Banquet frozen dinners on a whim.
    > ( they were on sale for a buck apiece )
    >
    > Mashed potatoes, corn and a beef pattie w/gravy .
    > Smallish portions, but probably the portions we SHOULD eat.
    >
    > I was surprised to see a calorie count of 340 for he whole meal.
    >
    > It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    > for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !
    >
    > Maybe it's time for "The Banquet Diet"
    > ( I could make millions off the book )
    >

    > <rj>

    Maybe millions for the undertaker & the drug companies.

    Dimitri

    Banquet® Beef Patty & Vegetables
    frozen entree

    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 meal . 9.5 oz
    Amount Per Serving

    Calories 310Calories from Fat 180 % DV*

    Total Fat 20g 31%

    Saturated Fat 8g 40%

    Cholesterol 40mg 13%

    Sodium 1090mg 45%

    Total Carbohydrate 22g 7%

    Dietary Fiber 3g 12%

    Protein 11g 17%

    Percent of Calories from:
    Fat-58.1% Carb-28.4% Protein-14.2%
    (Total may exceed 100% due to rounding

  6. salgud

    salgud Guest

    <RJ> wrote:
    > I bought a few Banquet frozen dinners on a whim.
    > ( they were on sale for a buck apiece )
    >
    > Mashed potatoes, corn and a beef pattie w/gravy .
    > Smallish portions, but probably the portions we SHOULD eat.
    >
    > I was surprised to see a calorie count of 340 for he whole meal.
    >
    > It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    > for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !
    >
    > Maybe it's time for "The Banquet Diet"
    > ( I could make millions off the book )

    Better yet, video a team of doctors monitoring your decaying health and
    make a movie! "Reducify Me!" Your heirs might do very well...

  7. salgud

    salgud Guest

    <RJ> wrote:
    > I bought a few Banquet frozen dinners on a whim.
    > ( they were on sale for a buck apiece )
    >
    > Mashed potatoes, corn and a beef pattie w/gravy .
    > Smallish portions, but probably the portions we SHOULD eat.
    >
    > I was surprised to see a calorie count of 340 for he whole meal.
    >
    > It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    > for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !
    >
    > Maybe it's time for "The Banquet Diet"
    > ( I could make millions off the book )

    Better yet, video a team of doctors monitoring your decaying health and
    make a movie! "Reducify Me!" Your heirs might do very well...

  8. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    "<RJ>" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I bought a few Banquet frozen dinners on a whim.
    >( they were on sale for a buck apiece )
    >
    >Mashed potatoes, corn and a beef pattie w/gravy .
    >Smallish portions, but probably the portions we SHOULD eat.
    >
    >I was surprised to see a calorie count of 340 for he whole meal.
    >
    >It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    >for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !
    >
    >Maybe it's time for "The Banquet Diet"
    >( I could make millions off the book )
    >

    ><rj>

    I did that for a while. Bought Lean Cuisine dinners and ate my
    regular breakfast and lunch. I got in the habit of eating less.
    Sometimes I added a veggie to the meal. I lost 15 pounds in 5 months.

    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

  9. Guest

    On 8 Aug 2005 11:36:56 -0700, "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><RJ> wrote:
    > for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !
    >>
    >> Maybe it's time for "The Banquet Diet"
    >> ( I could make millions off the book )

    >Better yet, video a team of doctors monitoring your decaying health and
    >make a movie! "Reducify Me!" Your heirs might do very well...

    Oh... I don't know about that.
    When you need "greens", get the Banquet dinner with the frozen peas.

    Besides, many Americans get through heir teen-age years
    on a diet of Fritos, french fries,, Big Macs, and Pepsi....

    <rj>

  10. salgud

    salgud Guest

    <RJ> wrote:
    > On 8 Aug 2005 11:36:56 -0700, "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > ><RJ> wrote:
    > > for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !
    > >>
    > >> Maybe it's time for "The Banquet Diet"
    > >> ( I could make millions off the book )

    > >Better yet, video a team of doctors monitoring your decaying health and
    > >make a movie! "Reducify Me!" Your heirs might do very well...

    > Oh... I don't know about that.
    > When you need "greens", get the Banquet dinner with the frozen peas.
    >
    > Besides, many Americans get through heir teen-age years
    > on a diet of Fritos, french fries,, Big Macs, and Pepsi....
    >

    > <rj>

    I don't know about you, RJ, but I'm well past my teens. And there are
    many things I survived back then I wouldn't even attempt these days....

  11. salgud

    salgud Guest

    <RJ> wrote:
    > On 8 Aug 2005 11:36:56 -0700, "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > ><RJ> wrote:
    > > for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !
    > >>
    > >> Maybe it's time for "The Banquet Diet"
    > >> ( I could make millions off the book )

    > >Better yet, video a team of doctors monitoring your decaying health and
    > >make a movie! "Reducify Me!" Your heirs might do very well...

    > Oh... I don't know about that.
    > When you need "greens", get the Banquet dinner with the frozen peas.
    >
    > Besides, many Americans get through heir teen-age years
    > on a diet of Fritos, french fries,, Big Macs, and Pepsi....
    >

    > <rj>

    I don't know about you, RJ, but I'm well past my teens. And there are
    many things I survived back then I wouldn't even attempt these days....

  12. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1h0yvo5.7lfbar1qjk5s2N%[email protected]
    > <RJ> <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..

    >> It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    >> for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !

    > Uh-huh, and you could develop a vitamin deficiency in record time, I'm
    > thinking! :)

    The fiber deficiency would catch up with you before the vitamin
    deficiency became a problem. :-|

    But if you really wanted to do it, you could add some veggies and fruits
    and it wouldn't alter your calorie count too much. Sodium could be a
    problem, though. Not to mention boredom. Probably wouldn't make sense
    for most people, but for those who really have a problem w/ portion
    control, it might help a bit.

  13. Vilco

    Vilco Guest

    Mi e' parso che salgud abbia scritto:

    > I don't know about you, RJ, but I'm well past my teens.
    > And there are many things I survived back then I wouldn't
    > even attempt these days....

    I agree.
    Once I ran out of cigarette papers, took a bit of a newspaper and
    rolled in it. No more going that way.
    --
    Vilco
    Think Pink , Drink Rose'

  14. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    <RJ> wrote:
    > I bought a few Banquet frozen dinners on a whim.
    > ( they were on sale for a buck apiece )
    >
    > Mashed potatoes, corn and a beef pattie w/gravy .
    > Smallish portions, but probably the portions we SHOULD eat.
    >
    > I was surprised to see a calorie count of 340 for he whole meal.
    >
    > It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    > for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !

    Yeah, you *could* but would you want to? There's a reason they can put them
    on sale so cheaply. What's in that "beef patty"? Do you really like the
    taste of instant potato flakes? Inquiring minds want to know :) Then
    there's the sodium content...

    Jill

  15. Guest

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:08:22 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><RJ> wrote:
    >>
    >> It occurred to me that, you could eat a Banquet TV dinner
    >> for each of three meals, and stay under 1200 calories a day !
    >>

    >Yeah, you *could* but would you want to? There's a reason they can put them
    >on sale so cheaply. What's in that "beef patty"? Do you really like the
    >taste of instant potato flakes? Inquiring minds want to know :) Then
    >there's the sodium content...
    >
    >Jill

    I've been on worse diets. ;o)

    Slice of dry toast ( no butter )
    Hard-boiled egg ( no salt )
    Black coffee ( decaf )

    Ever try to gag down a portion of dry tuna ?

    In fact, I think of most lo-cal diets as "abuse" !

    <rj>