Bar Con Shifter-Lost clicks

9138cousins

Feb 10, 2004
Just rebuilt a bike with Bar Con shifters.

Q If the shifter for the rear derailieur only clicks 5 times when it is supposed to be a 9 speed shifter whats the problem. Is it busted?
Doesnt want to shift the whole range regardless of cable tension and limit screws. This is also the case in friction mode Im 99% certain the shifters have been assemble right..flanges matched etc.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by 9138cousins
Just rebuilt a bike with Bar Con shifters.

Q If the shifter for the rear derailieur only clicks 5 times when it is supposed to be a 9 speed shifter whats the problem. Is it busted?
Doesnt want to shift the whole range regardless of cable tension and limit screws. This is also the case in friction mode Im 99% certain the shifters have been assemble right..flanges matched etc.

Thanks in advance.
If new,I'd recheck assembly. Does not sound 99% right to me.If used who knows? No problems like that with mine.

Originally posted by boudreaux
If new,I'd recheck assembly. Does not sound 99% right to me.If used who knows? No problems like that with mine.

I agree. Something's wrong there. I use eight speed Bar Cons on my cross bike and the rear shifter works great through all seven "clicks". You should have eight distinct "clicks" on your nine speed Bar Cons. Sounds like it's not set-up right or it's defective.

I had that well one click in the middle was missing.
the trick is to get the pieces lined up. You may have to twist the main body enough so when you put the loose piece on it is oriented right. they have to match up.

that happened to me once. only had about 5 clicks, through the full range, though.

there is a very thin metal seal/washer thing that goes between the actual shift lever and that pastic thing with the square recess. it somehow came loose when i was doing the install and jammed up a bit.

i removed it and full functionality came back. take a look. if not, i'm not sure.

doesn't look like it has any mechanical use in regards to the indexing, but helps to seal out some dirt.

Problem solved! Thanks for the replies. I have now learned that it is possible to have everything lined up right but the whole plate that the lever sits on can be mounted 90 degrees around from where it should be. Did not notice this when I assembled it the first time.

Originally posted by 9138cousins
Problem solved! Thanks for the replies. I have now learned that it is possible to have everything lined up right but the whole plate that the lever sits on can be mounted 90 degrees around from where it should be. Did not notice this when I assembled it the first time.
I did that last time one click in the middle was gone. it's a bit of a pain to turn that sucker back.