Bar Con Shifters

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jeff, May 8, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I ride a Barcroft with the RANS flip it handlebar. Has anyone ever replaced grip shifts with bar end
    shifters? If so, what kind fits inside the handlebar?

    Jeff

    > I ride a Barcroft with the RANS flip it handlebar. Has anyone ever replaced grip shifts with bar
    > end shifters? If so, what kind fits inside the handlebar?

    Mind the wrap: http://bike.shimano.com/Road/Dura-Ace/componenttemplate.asp? partnumber=SL-BS77

    Note: there aren't many choices on the market. The Shimano DuraAce Bar-End Shifters are about the
    best and maybe the only indexed 9 spd. I have had my P-38 set up both ways. I'm thinking about
    converting my Giro.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Jeff Baron

    Jeff Baron Guest

    i replaced my grips shifts with bar ends. advantage is cable installation much easier than with grip
    shifts (at least cheaper grip shift i had). downside is there's no barrel adjuster on the bar end.
    i'm not sure if shimano bar end in index mode would work well well with sachs derailleur; cable pull
    distance might be different for shimano v sachs shifting. might need to set up bar end in friction
    mode. in any event, i swapped my rear sachs derailleur for a shimano. fwiw, jeff baron

    Jeff wrote:

    > I ride a Barcroft with the RANS flip it handlebar. Has anyone ever replaced grip shifts with bar
    > end shifters? If so, what kind fits inside the handlebar?
    >
    > Jeff

  4. Don

    Don Guest

    Jeff Baron, What bike did you use the Barcons on? I have ordered a Giro frame set and I am currently
    trying to decide on components.

    Cletus, Stop foolin around and get that conversion finished and tell me how it works :) I am afraid
    the Barcons will hang down too much and be one more obstacle in the cockpit or be in the way for
    exiting and entering.

    jeff baron <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > i replaced my grips shifts with bar ends. advantage is cable installation much easier than with
    > grip shifts (at least cheaper grip shift i had). downside is there's no barrel adjuster on the bar
    > end. i'm not sure if shimano bar end in index mode would work well well with sachs derailleur;
    > cable pull distance might be different for shimano v sachs shifting. might need to set up bar end
    > in friction mode. in any event, i swapped my rear sachs derailleur for a shimano. fwiw, jeff baron
    >
    > Jeff wrote:
    >
    > > I ride a Barcroft with the RANS flip it handlebar. Has anyone ever replaced grip shifts with bar
    > > end shifters? If so, what kind fits inside the handlebar?
    > >
    > > Jeff

  5. Jeff Baron

    Jeff Baron Guest

    hi don,

    barcons are on my rans vivo and rans tailwind. vivo has flip it bars.

    jeff

    Don wrote:

    > Jeff Baron, What bike did you use the Barcons on? I have ordered a Giro frame set and I am
    > currently trying to decide on components.
    >
    > Cletus, Stop foolin around and get that conversion finished and tell me how it works :) I am
    > afraid the Barcons will hang down too much and be one more obstacle in the cockpit or be in the
    > way for exiting and entering.
    >
    > jeff baron <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > i replaced my grips shifts with bar ends. advantage is cable installation much easier than with
    > > grip shifts (at least cheaper grip shift i had). downside is there's no barrel adjuster on the
    > > bar end. i'm not sure if shimano bar end in index mode would work well well with sachs
    > > derailleur; cable pull distance might be different for shimano v sachs shifting. might need to
    > > set up bar end in friction mode. in any event, i swapped my rear sachs derailleur for a shimano.
    > > fwiw, jeff baron
    > >
    > > Jeff wrote:
    > >
    > > > I ride a Barcroft with the RANS flip it handlebar. Has anyone ever replaced grip shifts with
    > > > bar end shifters? If so, what kind fits inside the handlebar?
    > > >
    > > > Jeff

  6. Jeff Baron

    Jeff Baron Guest

    hi don,

    to tighten the barcon shifter into the handlebar, turn counterclockwise; to loosen, it's clockwise.
    think right loose left tight.

    jeff

    Don wrote:

    > Jeff Baron, What bike did you use the Barcons on? I have ordered a Giro frame set and I am
    > currently trying to decide on components.
    >
    > Cletus, Stop foolin around and get that conversion finished and tell me how it works :) I am
    > afraid the Barcons will hang down too much and be one more obstacle in the cockpit or be in the
    > way for exiting and entering.
    >
    > jeff baron <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > i replaced my grips shifts with bar ends. advantage is cable installation much easier than with
    > > grip shifts (at least cheaper grip shift i had). downside is there's no barrel adjuster on the
    > > bar end. i'm not sure if shimano bar end in index mode would work well well with sachs
    > > derailleur; cable pull distance might be different for shimano v sachs shifting. might need to
    > > set up bar end in friction mode. in any event, i swapped my rear sachs derailleur for a shimano.
    > > fwiw, jeff baron
    > >
    > > Jeff wrote:
    > >
    > > > I ride a Barcroft with the RANS flip it handlebar. Has anyone ever replaced grip shifts with
    > > > bar end shifters? If so, what kind fits inside the handlebar?
    > > >
    > > > Jeff

  7. Bentjay

    Bentjay Guest

    I have (ancient) Suntour barcons on several old wedgies. They are purely friction controls with
    which I am perfectly content. In fact, they allow much finer tuning resulting in a quieter
    drivetrain and a smidgen more efficiency. Soon I shall have some Shimanos on my upcoming GTO! BTW,
    is anyone else old enough to remember when Suntour gave Shimano a run for its money? What happened?
    How 'bout those goofy plastic french derailleurs? Is SunRace in any way related?

    BentJay

  8. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Cletus, Stop foolin around and get that conversion finished and tell me how it works :) I am
    > afraid the Barcons will hang down too much and be one more obstacle in the cockpit or be in the
    > way for exiting and entering.

    I have already cut an inch off each end of the Bacchetta H/B with the Grip Shift. If I go with
    Barcons, I can reduce the length of the H/B even further and still get a full hand grip under the
    brake levers.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  9. Don

    Don Guest

    Ah Ha, secrets revealed. Now where did I put my tubing cutters? Great idea. Thanks Cletus. Don

    Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Cletus, Stop foolin around and get that conversion finished and tell me how it works :) I am
    > > afraid the Barcons will hang down too much and be one more obstacle in the cockpit or be in the
    > > way for exiting and entering.
    > >
    > I have already cut an inch off each end of the Bacchetta H/B with the Grip Shift. If I go with
    > Barcons, I can reduce the length of the H/B even further and still get a full hand grip under the
    > brake levers.

  10. Rocketman58

    Rocketman58 Guest

    ...old enough to remember when Suntour gave Shimano a run for its money?

    Actually, it was Shimano that gave Suntour a run for its money. Suntour was the only game in town
    when I built my first MTB back in the late 70s. It was much better than what Shimano had to offer at
    the time. It forced Shimano to counter with a MTB group. All through the 80's it was a battle
    between Suntor XC and Shimano XT. Shimano finally overtook Suntour. I am not sure if it was due to a
    better design or better marketing - maybe a little of both. Most bikes started coming with Shimano
    after a while. Once people became familiar with a certain brand, they prefered to stick with it.
    Suntour fought back with some really excellent parts, but by then, Shimano was on it's way to
    becoming the Microsoft of the bike world.

    Some of the best Suntour components were the sealed cartridge bearing hubs, sealed BB, XC pro thumb
    shifters, and roller cam brakes (ya, I know they were not invented by Suntour). Suntour XC and
    Superbe were beautifully finished - you almost hated to use them due to thier jewel-like quality.

    Suntour is no more related to SunRace than it is to: Sun rims, Sun recumbents, Sunblock, or
    Sunmaid rasins.

    I still prefer sealed cartridge bearing hubs, BBs, pedals, and highly polished cold forged cranks.
    All holdovers from my days as a Suntour fan.

    Rocketman58

    [email protected] (BentJay) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have (ancient) Suntour barcons on several old wedgies. They are purely friction controls with
    > which I am perfectly content. In fact, they allow much finer tuning resulting in a quieter
    > drivetrain and a smidgen more efficiency. Soon I shall have some Shimanos on my upcoming GTO! BTW,
    > is anyone else old enough to remember when Suntour gave Shimano a run for its money? What
    > happened? How 'bout those goofy plastic french derailleurs? Is SunRace in any way related?
    >
    > BentJay

  11. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (BentJay) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > BTW, is anyone else old enough to remember when Suntour gave Shimano a run for its money? What
    > happened? How 'bout those goofy plastic french derailleurs? Is SunRace in any way related?
    >
    > BentJay

    Humph. *I* remember when SunTour made the best Japanese derailleurs out there and Shimano made goofy
    stuff that no one would buy.

    (Ever seen the first generation Deore crankset? The one with the 1" thread DD pedals? I had one... )

    Shimano SIS and Suntour Accushift index shifting came along about the same time. Shimano SIS just
    plain worked better- and Suntour blundered by not making components for the mountain bike market.
    Shimano came to its current dominance by simple attrition- SunTour simply *died*.

    The French Simplex derailleurs were absorbed into the Sachs machine, which was later bought by SRAM.
    A good deal, IMO... the early Grip Shifters that I had were terrible. The current Grip Shifts on my
    wife's Tour Easy haven't given me a single problem.

    AFAIK, SunRace isn't related to any of the old-school bike companies. They're Taiwanese, and they've
    been making derailleurs for 20 years. It's only in the last couple years that their reputation and
    quality have gotten good enough to compete with the likes of Shimano and Campagnolo.

    Jeff

  12. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    rocketman58 wrote:
    > ... Suntour is no more related to SunRace than it is to: Sun rims, Sun recumbents, Sunblock, or
    > Sunmaid rasins....

    There is an article on the history of SunTour by Frank Berto. <
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/page35.htm >

    There is bicycle components company called SR SUNTOUR that now has the rights to the SunTour
    trademarks. < http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/ >

  13. Oh not so fast. SunTour (Maderia Industries) made great mountain components and they shifted great.
    I still have a Bridgestone MB2 with Accushift. It was a bike that retailed for $487 in 85'. I sold a
    bunch of them. I also had one of the first Ritchey Commandos it also had ST. Early on ST had it all
    over S**tmano in both markets. Good Japanese bikes had ST on them for years until Shimano came out
    with their first 600/600EX groups. My TREK 970 on of the few with Columbus tubing has a Suntour
    Supurb group on it, still does. Burley's mid-eightys tandems came with ST components on it. My
    Burley DUET still has em' although I don't. Suntour was demolished by the larger Shimano and was
    purchased by SR (Seki Ringyo). Campy made a foray into MTB components, but thats a different story.
    Sachs/Huret virtually owned the 70's euro import mkt. until the late 70's and early 80's when
    SunTour brought out the VG slant pantograph design deraileur which is the basis for most every good
    deraileur on the market today. Even Campy went to this ST design on the Nuvo Record which replaced
    the Record design which was the European standard.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (BentJay) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > BTW, is anyone else old enough to remember when Suntour gave Shimano a run for its money? What
    > > happened? How 'bout those goofy plastic french derailleurs? Is SunRace in any way related?
    > >
    > > BentJay
    >
    > Humph. *I* remember when SunTour made the best Japanese derailleurs out there and Shimano made
    > goofy stuff that no one would buy.
    >
    > (Ever seen the first generation Deore crankset? The one with the 1" thread DD pedals? I had
    > one... )
    >
    > Shimano SIS and Suntour Accushift index shifting came along about the same time. Shimano SIS just
    > plain worked better- and Suntour blundered by not making components for the mountain bike market.
    > Shimano came to its current dominance by simple attrition- SunTour simply *died*.
    >
    > The French Simplex derailleurs were absorbed into the Sachs machine, which was later bought by
    > SRAM. A good deal, IMO... the early Grip Shifters that I had were terrible. The current Grip
    > Shifts on my wife's Tour Easy haven't given me a single problem.
    >
    > AFAIK, SunRace isn't related to any of the old-school bike companies. They're Taiwanese, and
    > they've been making derailleurs for 20 years. It's only in the last couple years that their
    > reputation and quality have gotten good enough to compete with the likes of Shimano and
    > Campagnolo.
    >
    > Jeff

  14. > Suntour was demolished by the larger Shimano and was purchased by SR (Seki Ringyo). Campy made a
    > foray into MTB components, but thats a different story. Sachs/Huret virtually owned the 70's euro
    > import mkt. until the late 70's and early 80's when SunTour brought out the VG slant pantograph
    > design deraileur which is the basis for most every good deraileur on the market today. Even Campy
    > went to this ST design on the Nuvo Record which replaced the Record design which was the European
    > standard.

    My understanding is that Sun Tour did well when they invented the *slant* pantograph design
    deraileur. It was only when the *patent* expired that other manufactures could use this innovation
    and Shimano jumped forward with it's indexing system using it.

    Regards, Simon

  15. ST also had their Index shifting system and in my experience it was equal to any of the early
    S**tmano indexed stuff. Like I said I still have some Accushift equipped bikes and after 10s
    of thousands of miles it still works great. I even have a still in the box set of 6 spd
    Accushift Barcons.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Simon Kellett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Suntour was demolished by the larger Shimano and was purchased by SR (Seki Ringyo). Campy made a
    > > foray into MTB components, but thats a different story. Sachs/Huret virtually owned the 70's
    > > euro import mkt. until the
    late
    > > 70's and early 80's when SunTour brought out the VG slant pantograph
    design
    > > deraileur which is the basis for most every good deraileur on the market today. Even Campy went
    > > to this ST design on the Nuvo Record which
    replaced
    > > the Record design which was the European standard.
    >
    > My understanding is that Sun Tour did well when they invented the *slant* pantograph design
    > deraileur. It was only when the *patent* expired that other manufactures could use this innovation
    > and Shimano jumped forward with it's indexing system using it.
    >
    > Regards, Simon

  16. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    I had thought about this for my Burley at one time. But I like my Mirrycle mirror too much.

    Derek