Bar end friction question

Robert Strickla

Guest
Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to friction shift a 9 speed Shimano cassette with 8 speed
Ultegra/Dura-ace bar-end shifters? Aside from the possibility, I'm also interested in whether people
have done it and can recommend it. Thanks in advance.

Rob Strickland

"Robert Strickland" wrote in message ...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to friction shift a 9 speed Shimano
cassette
> with 8 speed Ultegra/Dura-ace bar-end shifters? Aside from the
possibility,
> I'm also interested in whether people have done it and can recommend it. Thanks in advance.
>
> Rob Strickland

Probably... the only problem I can see is if the 9-speed mech needs more cable movement than the
cable lever can provide. In this case perhaps you could put a layer of "something" (card? tape?) in
the cable slot to increase the cable pull. If I had the bits I'd give it a try, the mechanics can't
be *that* complicated.

Good luck!

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:40:42 +0100, "AndyK" <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Robert Strickland" wrote in message ...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm wondering if it's possible to friction shift a 9 speed Shimano cassette with 8 speed
>> Ultegra/Dura-ace bar-end shifters? Aside from the possibility, I'm also interested in whether
>> people have done it and can recommend it.

>Probably... the only problem I can see is if the 9-speed mech needs more cable movement than the
>cable lever can provide. In this case perhaps you

Which ninespeed mech? The OP is talking about replacing the cassette. Given that 8 and 9 use the
same freehub body, and thus the same amount of rear der travel over the cassette, travel shouldn't
be an issue. It might be pretty finicky to frictionshift 9s, though. Dunno. Can you frictionshift 8s
without problems? 9s shouldn't be that much more difficult.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:40:42 +0100, "AndyK" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>"Robert Strickland" wrote in message ...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if it's possible to friction shift a 9 speed Shimano cassette with 8 speed
>>> Ultegra/Dura-ace bar-end shifters? Aside from the possibility, I'm also interested in whether
>>> people have done it and can recommend it.
>
>>Probably... the only problem I can see is if the 9-speed mech needs more cable movement than the
>>cable lever can provide. In this case perhaps you
>
> Which ninespeed mech? The OP is talking about replacing the cassette. Given that 8 and 9 use the
> same freehub body, and thus the same amount of rear der travel over the cassette, travel shouldn't
> be an issue. It might be pretty finicky to frictionshift 9s, though. Dunno. Can you frictionshift
> 8s without problems? 9s shouldn't be that much more difficult.
>
> Jasper

I friction change a 9 speed cassette with a campag 9sp deraileur using oldish 7sp shimano bar ends
with no problem.

--
Walter Mitty.

Walter Mitty wrote:

> Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
> news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> >>Probably... the only problem I can see is if the 9-speed mech needs more cable movement than the
> >>cable lever can provide. In this case perhaps you
> >
> > Which ninespeed mech? The OP is talking about replacing the cassette. Given that 8 and 9 use the
> > same freehub body, and thus the same amount of rear der travel over the cassette, travel
> > shouldn't be an issue. It might be pretty finicky to frictionshift 9s, though. Dunno. Can you
> > frictionshift 8s without problems? 9s shouldn't be that much more difficult.
> >
> > Jasper
> >

> I friction change a 9 speed cassette with a campag 9sp deraileur using oldish 7sp shimano bar ends
> with no problem.
>
> --
> Walter Mitty.

Ditto here, except using Ultegra 8-spd rd & very old Suntour barend shifters.

Ken