Bar end plugs

Alan Moffatt

Guest
Hi all

Does anyone know if you can still get bar end plugs that you can properly
tighten in the bar end, as opposed to the ones that come with bar tape but
are rarely a close enough fit (in my experience) to stay in very long.

I've seen expensive mtb stye ones advertised at round UKP15, but I'm talking
about plain little plastic jobbos at around 65p.

Alan Moffatt

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:45:58 GMT, "Alan Moffatt"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Does anyone know if you can still get bar end plugs that you can properly
>tighten in the bar end, as opposed to the ones that come with bar tape but
>are rarely a close enough fit (in my experience) to stay in very long.
>
>I've seen expensive mtb stye ones advertised at round UKP15, but I'm talking
>about plain little plastic jobbos at around 65p.

83p: http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/cgi-bin/bc_page.pl?cat=HBA-BAREND

9.9p:
http://www.cyclesmart.co.uk/shop/in...04.html?Cyclesmart=8kpfvuveqi8ftrto96duhjr764

"Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone know if you can still get bar end plugs that you can properly
> tighten in the bar end, as opposed to the ones that come with bar tape but
> are rarely a close enough fit (in my experience) to stay in very long.
>
> I've seen expensive mtb stye ones advertised at round UKP15, but I'm
> talking about plain little plastic jobbos at around 65p.
>
> Alan Moffatt

I had problems with mine falling out recently. This guy on ebay does bespoke
ones for a few quid, so after getting a pair, I put a small dab of superglue
to keep them in place and they've stayed put since.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZtacconi1957

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Alan Moffatt wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone know if you can still get bar end plugs that you can
> properly tighten in the bar end, as opposed to the ones that come
> with bar tape but are rarely a close enough fit (in my experience) to
> stay in very long.

Bulk them out with just the right amount of insulating tape and they will
be hard to remove deliberately, let alone accidentally.

Another tip: File flat and cover with red Diamond Grade reflective tape.

~PB

Alan Moffatt wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Does anyone know if you can still get bar end plugs that you can properly
> tighten in the bar end, as opposed to the ones that come with bar tape but
> are rarely a close enough fit (in my experience) to stay in very long.
>
> I've seen expensive mtb stye ones advertised at round UKP15, but I'm talking
> about plain little plastic jobbos at around 65p.

That chap Francis Thurmer who does hard to get bits who exhibits at York had
some last year as I bought a couple of pairs. ISTR they were about 50p each. i
think they are milremo and expand within the bar when tightened.
They are far far better than the usual press in ones that come with bar tape -
which I keep losing - even when wrapped with tape they still fall out :-(

I don't think he has any web presence.

Unit 20, Kemps Farm, Chapel Road, Ford, Aylesbury HP17 8XG, UK
01296 747377  07850 740591

I hope the telephone number is correct.

John B

Alan Moffatt wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone know if you can still get bar end plugs that you can properly
> tighten in the bar end, as opposed to the ones that come with bar tape but
> are rarely a close enough fit (in my experience) to stay in very long.
>
> I've seen expensive mtb stye ones advertised at round UKP15, but I'm talking
> about plain little plastic jobbos at around 65p.
>
> Alan Moffatt

Velox still makes the old style black bar end plugs, but the only
sources I can find are in the US.
mark

"Alan Moffatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone know if you can still get bar end plugs that you can properly
> tighten in the bar end, as opposed to the ones that come with bar tape but
> are rarely a close enough fit (in my experience) to stay in very long.
>
> I've seen expensive mtb stye ones advertised at round UKP15, but I'm
> talking about plain little plastic jobbos at around 65p.
>
> Alan Moffatt

Thanks for the useful suggestions everybody.