Bar end shifter compatibilities

thomas_cho

Jan 4, 2005
Hi all.
Got a question regarding bar end compatibilities.

I am thinking of installing bar end shifters, and want to do it cheaply.

Will a 8-spd or 9-spd bar end shifter pull enuf cable for a 10-spd cassette in friction mode?

The way I see it, since 10spd cassettes will fit on 8-spd/9spd hubs (with a spacer), I am guessing that the bar end shifters will pull enuf cable to move the rear derailleur over the range.

Thanks in advance.

thomas_cho said:
Hi all.

Will a 8-spd or 9-spd bar end shifter pull enuf cable for a 10-spd cassette in friction mode?

The way I see it, since 10spd cassettes will fit on 8-spd/9spd hubs (with a spacer), I am guessing that the bar end shifters will pull enuf cable to move the rear derailleur over the range.

Thanks in advance.
I am nearly 100% sure that a 10sp cassette is narrower than a 9sp cassette (hence the need for a spacer) so I would say yes, it should be perfectly possible if they are friction. In theory, a 6 speed or even 5 speed friction shifter should change gears for a 10sp cassette.

It should work in friction mode to shift across the 10sp cassette but as they don't cost that much why don't you buy the correct lever so you can use the SIS.

Check out ebay.com (not.au) to see if you can get them cheap.

Cheers

Geoff

thomas_cho said:
Hi all.

Thanks in advance.
Yes. Shimano and Campagnolo cassettes have sprocket pitch difference of about 0.4mm (only) between 9s and 10s. That means a 10s cassette will only be wider by about 0.35mm (Shimano) to 0.5mm (Campy) versus a 9s.

thomas_cho said:
Thanks guys, on a related note would the below brake lever work with mini-v brakes?

http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures/_3/2042/2041988.jpg
My experience with V-brakes & road brake levers (Ultegra 6501 STI) is that you want a travel agent for the front V-brake; BUT, IMO, you do NOT need a travel agent for the rear since you really aren't going to be modulating the rear brake (at least I don't) the same way you would the front brake.

BTW. AFAIK, those Cane Creek brake levers are made by Tektro ... the Tektro come in black or "plain" aluminum and cost less.

The problem, I think (if any) with those Tektro/(Cane Creek) levers is that after you use them, you'll probably want to change your STI shifters to Campagnolo ERGO!

All the parts seem to add up to quite a bit, I am shelving the idea for a later time, and saving the $$.

Thanks all for your replies!