Bar End Shifter help

mx5-merlot

Jul 2, 2006
I just purchased a bike with Dura-Ace bar ends that say compatible with RD-7400 and RD-7700 9 speed. I have an Ultegra 6500 rear der. and I can only seem to get the shifters to give me 6 or 7 gears in SIS mode. Can anyone help me? I am trying to build a tri bike.

The cassette is a hyperglide with a 12-21 ratio. The hub just says "A-Class" . I hope this helps. It is a set of Alex wheelset (I think).
I am not sure if the cassette is Ultegra, 105, etc?
It just seems that I can't get enough cable pull to move the derailleur enough.
and in index mode, it only clicks 6 times.

gclark8 said:
What is the cassette and hub?

mx5-merlot said:
I just purchased a bike with Dura-Ace bar ends that say compatible with RD-7400 and RD-7700 9 speed. I have an Ultegra 6500 rear der. and I can only seem to get the shifters to give me 6 or 7 gears in SIS mode. Can anyone help me? I am trying to build a tri bike.
Take the bar-end apart by undoing the D-ring ...

Try turning that chrome/"silver" (?) plated middle (plastic?) disc/ring 90º ...

If that doesn't work, try turning it back 180º (i.e., 90º from the position it started in) ... I haven't looked at mine for years, so I may be thinking of something completely different AND consequently describing something completely different which is UNRELATED ... sorry, if that is the case!

If that doesn't work, try going 180º from the "original" position you currently have it in.

All I remember is there is more than one RIGHT way to assemble those, and so I guess there are three positions that it can be wrong!