bar end shifter indexing

tom

Guest
Hey all,

After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode, I
only get 5 clicks when changing the rear derailleur. Somewhere in the
middle of the range, I am still able to change into every gear, but it
doesn't click into place..so it is sort of semi-friction in the middle.

Is this normal? And if not, is there anything I can do about it? I
haven't seen any adjustment of the clicks/indexing.

?

Thanks!

Tom

"tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey all,
>
> After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
> bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode, I
> only get 5 clicks when changing the rear derailleur. Somewhere in the
> middle of the range, I am still able to change into every gear, but it
> doesn't click into place..so it is sort of semi-friction in the middle.
>

> Is this normal? And if not, is there anything I can do about it? I
> haven't seen any adjustment of the clicks/indexing.

Sounds like cable adjustment is out. Try loosening the cable at the rear
deraileur and see if you get 9 clicks at the lever.

Ken.

tom wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
> bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode, I
> only get 5 clicks when changing the rear derailleur. Somewhere in the
> middle of the range, I am still able to change into every gear, but it
> doesn't click into place..so it is sort of semi-friction in the middle.
>

> Is this normal? And if not, is there anything I can do about it? I
> haven't seen any adjustment of the clicks/indexing.

Try assembling the lever with the chromed innerring rotated to a
different position. It fits a few ways, but only works properly in one.

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

"tom" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> I have some Shimano 9-speed bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy.
> When using them in indexed mode, I only get 5 clicks when changing
> the rear derailleur. Somewhere in the middle of the range, I am still
> able to change into every gear, but it doesn't click into place..so it is
> sort of semi-friction in the middle.

> Is this normal? And if not, is there anything I can do about it?

It sounds as though the "lever boss cover" has been installed incorrectly.
See the diagram here:

http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/shimano/support/explosionszeichungen_archiv/SL/Sl_BS77_EV.pdf

Part number 2 can be installed in four different orientations. To work
correctly, the protrusion on the side facing the lever should point
downwards, as in the diagram.

James Thomson

tom wrote:

> After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
> bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode,
> I only get 5 clicks when changing the rear derailleur.

Mine seems to be giving me two per gear, so perhaps I can donate a few of my
spare clicks ;-)

--
Dave Larrington
Never tie your shoelaces in a revolving door.

Thanks for the tips everybody, I'll have a fiddle today and let you
know what I come up with.

Tom

> Mine seems to be giving me two per gear, so perhaps I can donate a few of my
> spare clicks ;-)

that's just plain greedy!

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> writes:

>tom wrote:

>> After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
>> bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode,
>> I only get 5 clicks when changing the rear derailleur.

>Mine seems to be giving me two per gear, so perhaps I can donate a few of my
>spare clicks ;-)

I have flipped the thingy so I don't get any clicks at all, maybe they
have migrated to yours?

roos