Bar End Shifter....mechanic Knowledge?

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
I noticed a crack in the grey ring/cover on the right hand shifter last week. Today while lubing the chains I was shifting through the gears when the cracked cover came completely off.

Now that it fell off, I don't see any movement or play in the stability of the shifter. So my question is, "Is this just a dust cover type part?".

I did a search and found a few covers that look similar but none answered the question if it is actually needed. I hope not and figure since we don't ride in rain (So Ca.) it won't be an issue.

Any advice? If so, thanks! B)

I'd hate to get 10 miles from home then find out it's crucial part. :lol:

DSCN1085_zpsjkvs59hf.jpg

DSCN1088_zpststcus6p.jpg

"Any advice?"

Scrap it and buy Campagnolo!

Seriously, it isn't hurt more than cosmetically. But, as inexpensive as shitmaNO parts are I would buy a new one AND a new cable and do an R&R on it. You ride the big mountain...no? Might as well know you're going to be able to shift going up and coming down for the few dollars a bike shop or web site is going to get out of your wallet.

Maybe even go up the line and get an Ultegra or Dura-Ass model for a more durable construction/materials.

CAMPYBOB said:
"Any advice?"

Scrap it and buy Campagnolo!

Seriously, it isn't hurt more than cosmetically. But, as inexpensive as shitmaNO parts are I would buy a new one AND a new cable and do an R&R on it. You ride the big mountain...no? Might as well know you're going to be able to shift going up and coming down for the few dollars a bike shop or web site is going to get out of your wallet.

Maybe even go up the line and get an Ultegra or Dura-Ass model for a more durable construction/materials.

I'm going to ask the mods to change your name to Sh!tmanOBob! :lol:

Thanks! B) I was hoping it is nothing functional. I will eventually replace them but I just want to make sure we don't get stranded if we ride it within the next few days as we usually do our midweek rides on the tandem.

I will go online and save a bundle I am sure! ;)

The shifters are Ultegra and I replaced the tandem cables about 800 miles ago and they are still working flawlessly! ^_^

Don't it always go that way?

You replace the part known to wear...the cable...and a few week later the big dollah part starts taking a ****. I'm kind of surprised that is Ultegra and it broke. That's decent stuff, ordinarily. Meh...all the new **** is made from re-cycled milk jugs and condoms these days. I'll have to check and see which shitmaNO bar-end lever controls the drag brake on mine. It looks similar to yours...

I'm still trying to find time to drive over to the Big City and see if the local shops stock a rear brake cable for that Santana. I'll guarantee you I'll end up online right after the shop monkey spits out the standard, "We don't stock that, but we can order it for you!".

Duh...no thanks. How's about bar-end plugs? You got those?

I can't find my adjustable face pin spanners to turn the elipical BB on the Santana 180°, but made my Campagnolo bomb proof fixed pin spanner work. Someone...probably a short dude, not that I'm pointing fingers at anyone trying to get on a 175 MM crankset!...rotated the front BB spindle close to TDC. It's supposed to be in the bottom 180° of the BB shell to keep the captain's CG lower.

Well, I stood the bike up vertically when done with the cranks straight up & down and man do those pedals look really close to the ground! Note to self: Delay pedaling out of a corner a bit longer than when on your single.

My bar shifters are 1997 Ultegra so I can understand a weather beaten plastic ring cracking. Just a shame to have to replace something that still works. Yeah, have the shop order something for me and they want me to pay shipping too ha ha. I tried my cranks out of phase at one time. No thanks.

Out of phase cranks...back in the day a lot of the fast teams went that route. When tandem frames were steel I was also told it reduced bouncing and flex as well a keeping the power flow more consistent. No clue how that really worked, but I think both riders having the outside leg straight and weighted and the inside knee hung out through the twisties would still be the way to go. I would also guess climbing to be easier with both riders mashing...maybe spinning uphill would be better if out of phase?

I'll start out in phase and probably leave it that way. My wife is no powerhouse and the only racing I plan on doing is the local USCF sanctioned time trial. The course record is held by a Cat. 2 friend of mine and his wife. I want to put The Boy Wonder on the back or another guy I used to train with and see if we can set a better time. The course is an out & back. The turn around should be...interesting! Can you drift a tandem...?

I like that idea -- buying a new cable, new cover, and replacing the old parts. I don't know what "R & R" means. "Replace and Recalibrate"? I'm quite the innocent.

Good luck, Mr. Beanz!

Good luck, CampyBob! I'm sure you and your friend can set a new course record.

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Remove & Replace, in this case. Can also mean Remove & Repair, depending on application.

Campagnolo components are usually rebuildable and thus repairable. Some shimaNO components are user serviceable, but most are not. And Like I said, shimaNO is so inexpensive and the small replaceable parts are either non-existent or not stocked anywhere that replacing the component is the logical path.