Bar end shifter

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by [email protected], Sep 19, 2006.

  1. Back in the early 80s I bought a Fuji hybrid. I think hybrids were a
    new concept at the time. It had sun tour shifters that worked really
    well. They were just little levers that you move back and forth under
    tension (so they don't move when you let go). You were responsible for
    getting it "shifted" the right amount. They worked great! I've gone
    through 4 or 5 mountain bikes since then and they all have indexed
    click type shifters. My last 2 have been top of the line LX or higher.
    The bottom line is that none of them ever worked correctly, ever.
    There's always at least 1 or 2 gears that decide to switch back and
    forth. That's really annoying when you are trying to climb a technical
    trail and all of a sudden your chain starts clunking.

    Anyway I just ordered a Bacchetta Giro and I noticed that it has grip
    shifters, which seems to be even worse than the rapid fire shifters.
    I've heard people mention bar end shifters. Do these do what I'm
    hoping? Are they retro shifters that allow the cyclist to shift the
    chain where you want it? Like on my old Fuji hybrid?

    Tags:

  2. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 19 Sep 2006, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyway I just ordered a Bacchetta Giro and I noticed that it has grip
    > shifters, which seems to be even worse than the rapid fire shifters.
    > I've heard people mention bar end shifters. Do these do what I'm
    > hoping? Are they retro shifters that allow the cyclist to shift the
    > chain where you want it? Like on my old Fuji hybrid?

    Pretty much.

    Effectively, they are friction shifters (as mounted on the down-tube
    on a traditional diamond frame) but mounted onto a plug that goes in
    the end of a drop handlebar. Most modern ones have an indexing
    cassette built in, so the lever indexes, but every one I've found can
    switch the cassette out and just work by friction.

    My Trice uses bar-end shifters in the handlebars. They work well, but
    I use the shifter in index mode (even though my road bikes are all
    down-tube shifters, and I keep all them in friction mode).

    Howver, bar-end shifters are becoming rare and costly - in Shimano,
    for example, I think only dura-ace has bar-end shifters now.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  3. Ian Smith wrote:

    > Effectively, they are friction shifters (as mounted on the down-tube

    Friction shifters. That's the term I was looking for. Seems like a
    better design to me. Too bad it's still going out of style. I was
    hoping maybe they were making a comeback.

  4. In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on 19 Sep 2006 11:02:21 -0700
    [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyway I just ordered a Bacchetta Giro and I noticed that it has grip
    > shifters, which seems to be even worse than the rapid fire shifters.
    > I've heard people mention bar end shifters. Do these do what I'm
    > hoping? Are they retro shifters that allow the cyclist to shift the
    > chain where you want it? Like on my old Fuji hybrid?

    The twists on my Giro work mostly OK, but it's a fair old heave to get
    on the big ring and takes a deal of work to get the rear shifting
    properly on all cogs.

    I've bought bar end shifters - you need to buy the shifters and a
    Shimano rear derailleur as the SRAM has a different index pattern to
    the Shimano bar ends.

    If you only want friction then you just need the shifters and the new
    cables and you can keep the rear derailleur.

    I haven't put them on the bike yet, waiting for a free weekend!

    I suspect the biggest hassle for friction shifting on straight bar
    ends will be where the shifters are, your hand won't be supported on
    the end of the tweener bars the way it is on tri bars or drops.

    I'd suggest a set of Pauls Thumbie mounts for the bar ends, except
    that there's a fair bit of dosh involved by the time you get both
    items.

    Zebee

  5. In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on 19 Sep 2006 18:41:49 GMT
    Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Howver, bar-end shifters are becoming rare and costly - in Shimano,
    > for example, I think only dura-ace has bar-end shifters now.

    I dunno if anyone's done it, but some have speculated that old
    downtube ones might fit thumbies.

    I've seen old non-indexed bar ends and downtube shifters on ebay, if
    the OP wants non-indexed shifting then that might be the go.

    Zebee

  6. Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Back in the early 80s I bought a Fuji hybrid. I think hybrids were a
    > new concept at the time. It had sun tour shifters that worked really
    > well. They were just little levers that you move back and forth under
    > tension (so they don't move when you let go). You were responsible for
    > getting it "shifted" the right amount. They worked great! I've gone
    > through 4 or 5 mountain bikes since then and they all have indexed
    > click type shifters. My last 2 have been top of the line LX or higher.
    > The bottom line is that none of them ever worked correctly, ever.
    > There's always at least 1 or 2 gears that decide to switch back and
    > forth. That's really annoying when you are trying to climb a technical
    > trail and all of a sudden your chain starts clunking.
    >
    > Anyway I just ordered a Bacchetta Giro and I noticed that it has grip
    > shifters, which seems to be even worse than the rapid fire shifters.
    > I've heard people mention bar end shifters. Do these do what I'm
    > hoping? Are they retro shifters that allow the cyclist to shift the
    > chain where you want it? Like on my old Fuji hybrid?

    Hello again -
    You know, I don't like the idea of grip shifters but they undeniably work
    well on my recumbent. I like not having to change my grip to shift gears,
    and when I want to grab a lower gear, it is always right there.
    I use Dura Ace bar ends on 2 other bikes. One is mounted in handlebar
    ends - simple and effective. The other is mounted in Paul Thumbies for
    mounting on top of the handlebars. Dura ace bar ends give choice of index
    or friction shifting. If you are lax in maintenance as I am, it is nice to
    have the friction option because it is not sensitive to minor changes in
    cable tension.
    On a fourth bike, I use Rivendell's Silver Shifters as bar ends. Friction
    only, beautiful action, should last forever, cheaper than Dura Ace and the
    advantage of buying non-Shimano too.

    Since you are new to bents, may I suggest that you check out
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/, especially the forum. A terrific resource
    about everything recumbent.
    Regards-
    Jon Shinefeld
    PhilaPA

  7. Victor Kan

    Victor Kan Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > On a fourth bike, I use Rivendell's Silver Shifters as bar ends. Friction
    > only, beautiful action, should last forever, cheaper than Dura Ace and the
    > advantage of buying non-Shimano too.

    They're not cheaper than Dura Ace bar end shifters, even if you buy the
    Shimanos from Rivendell, where Dura Ace shifters are $68 and the Silver
    shifters are $75.

    If you shop around, e.g chucksbikes.com, Shimanos are even cheaper,
    including the 10 speed shifters.

    While I understand folks dislike of Shimano, I would think that their
    bar end shifters are one exception where there's not much to gripe
    about. One "gripe" I have with them is that if you're stupid, as I was
    at the time, it's easy to loosen the mounts too much and have them fall
    into your handlebars. I was lucky to be able to fish it out without
    performing any surgery.

    --
    I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
    legitimate replies.

  8. Guest

    "Victor Kan" <[email protected]_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> On a fourth bike, I use Rivendell's Silver Shifters as bar ends.
    >> Friction only, beautiful action, should last forever, cheaper than Dura
    >> Ace and the advantage of buying non-Shimano too.

    > They're not cheaper than Dura Ace bar end shifters, even if you buy the
    > Shimanos from Rivendell, where Dura Ace shifters are $68 and the Silver
    > shifters are $75.
    >
    > If you shop around, e.g chucksbikes.com, Shimanos are even cheaper,
    > including the 10 speed shifters.
    >
    > While I understand folks dislike of Shimano, I would think that their bar
    > end shifters are one exception where there's not much to gripe about. One
    > "gripe" I have with them is that if you're stupid, as I was at the time,
    > it's easy to loosen the mounts too much and have them fall into your
    > handlebars. I was lucky to be able to fish it out without performing any
    > surgery.

    Thank you - I sit corrected about the prices of Shimano and SILVER shifters
    for bar ends. There is no question that DA bar ends work quite well.
    There's nothing at all to gripe about with respect to the part. I have many
    Shimano parts on various bikes - when I evaluate them as the best option, I
    will purchase and use them. But I object to the company's policies and
    strategies and will support the competition when parts that work equally as
    well or just differently are available.
    Jon Shinefeld
    PhillyPA

  9. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Thank you - I sit corrected about the prices of Shimano and SILVER shifters
    > for bar ends. There is no question that DA bar ends work quite well.
    > There's nothing at all to gripe about with respect to the part. I have many
    > Shimano parts on various bikes - when I evaluate them as the best option, I
    > will purchase and use them. But I object to the company's policies and
    > strategies and will support the competition when parts that work equally as
    > well or just differently are available.
    > Jon Shinefeld
    > PhillyPA

    Jon-

    What "policies and strategies" are you refering to? I've seen an awful
    lot of good product and very little bad come from Shimano in the last
    several years. (Pre-1985, though... they came up with some wacky stuff:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/ .)

    Jeff

  10. Hull 697

    Hull 697 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2005
    I have the index shifters on both the Strada and the Giro working like clockwork. Took a little tweaking on the Giro, I believe it was wire tension/stretching.

    The front shifter is still a grunt to get on the big ring, something I do not fully comprehend. Middle and granny are slick, but the large ring is a puzzle. I tried using calipers on the DR to see if perhaps I was out of alignment or something, however, it is hard to measure because the darn DR has those profiles, changing the geometry from top to bottom.

    I suspect the answer is not the index, but to step up from Dura Ace to a better DR.