Bar end shifters for 7 sp cassette

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Luton

Upgrading a 531st frame with 126mm rear spacing, I was concerned about stretching the rear triangle
enough to take a 8sp Casette and reasoning that 7sp spacing is the same, sent away for a 130mm 7sp
wheel and 8sp Shimano bar end shifters. When these arrived I was horrified to see that the shifter
box had "not suitable for 7sp" printed on it. However when all was assembled, and using the old rear
derallier mech, the system works perfectly.

Moral:- it is always worth a try.

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:53:44 +0100, Paul Luton <[email protected] > wrote:

>Upgrading a 531st frame with 126mm rear spacing, I was concerned about stretching the rear triangle
>enough to take a 8sp Casette and reasoning that 7sp spacing is the same, sent away for a 130mm 7sp
>wheel and 8sp Shimano bar end shifters. When these arrived I was horrified to see that the shifter
>box had "not suitable for 7sp" printed on it.

Hang on, that's confused me now. I thought that 9 speed spacing *was* 130mm? If you've gone for a
130 wheel then you could have chosen 9sp over 7sp without it requiring any more room in the rear
triangle. Or have I got that all a*se about face?

Bob
--
Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:42:48 +0000, Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hang on, that's confused me now. I thought that 9 speed spacing *was* 130mm? If you've gone for a
>130 wheel then you could have chosen 9sp over 7sp without it requiring any more room in the rear
>triangle. Or have I got that all a*se about face?

Reckon you're right. My rear dropouts are 130mm and I've got 8sp on there with bar-ends - much more
accurate shifting than the 9sp on the bent, actually, I'm very pleased with it and it needs very
little maintenance.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.