Bar end shifters for 7 sp cassette

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul Luton, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Paul Luton

    Paul Luton Guest

    Upgrading a 531st frame with 126mm rear spacing, I was concerned about stretching the rear triangle
    enough to take a 8sp Casette and reasoning that 7sp spacing is the same, sent away for a 130mm 7sp
    wheel and 8sp Shimano bar end shifters. When these arrived I was horrified to see that the shifter
    box had "not suitable for 7sp" printed on it. However when all was assembled, and using the old rear
    derallier mech, the system works perfectly.

    Moral:- it is always worth a try.

    --
    CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

    Tags:

  2. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:53:44 +0100, Paul Luton <[email protected] > wrote:

    >Upgrading a 531st frame with 126mm rear spacing, I was concerned about stretching the rear triangle
    >enough to take a 8sp Casette and reasoning that 7sp spacing is the same, sent away for a 130mm 7sp
    >wheel and 8sp Shimano bar end shifters. When these arrived I was horrified to see that the shifter
    >box had "not suitable for 7sp" printed on it.

    Hang on, that's confused me now. I thought that 9 speed spacing *was* 130mm? If you've gone for a
    130 wheel then you could have chosen 9sp over 7sp without it requiring any more room in the rear
    triangle. Or have I got that all a*se about face?

    Bob

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:42:48 +0000, Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hang on, that's confused me now. I thought that 9 speed spacing *was* 130mm? If you've gone for a
    >130 wheel then you could have chosen 9sp over 7sp without it requiring any more room in the rear
    >triangle. Or have I got that all a*se about face?

    Reckon you're right. My rear dropouts are 130mm and I've got 8sp on there with bar-ends - much more
    accurate shifting than the 9sp on the bent, actually, I'm very pleased with it and it needs very
    little maintenance.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)