Bar end shifters for touring bike ?

> "Dennis Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<DVjxb.1836$US3.1625@okepread03>...
> > > ....... Why in the world would one ever need to shift both derailleurs at once? Not a
> > > functionality I have ever needed, or perceive I will ever need. BTW, I do have bikes with STI,
> > > barcons, and DT shifters, so I am very familiar with all of them.
> > >

> It used to be a good useful trick when we had half-step plus granny. A typical set up was
> 14-17-20-24-28-(34) and 28-42-46, so when riding on the flats, one would alternate between both
> large rings to fine-tune one's gear. For instance, one could ride in 42/17, then if the wind eased
> a bit go to 46/17, then to 42/14... Not so useful anymore with modern gearing. For better or for
> worst, that's another debate.
>
> Many other good reasons were highlighted so far. Let me add a few.
>
> I have a high short-reach stem, so the tops are about 2 cm higher than the saddle... and I ride
> from the drops 80-90% of the time. It allows better stability, especially in cross winds, but it
> also allows very quick access to bar-end shifters and to the brakes.
>
> I also place tilt the handlebars, so the drops are not horizontal, but rather point down to the
> rear axle (or slightly above it). I know it negates the effect of the short-reach stem, but it
> allows better wrist angle... and more long-term comfort.

It would only reduce the effect of the short stem when you are on the drops. If you ride the hoods,
it raises them a bit without raising the tops. That's what I do...

I think shifters are largely a matter of personal preference -- you tend to get used to
what you have.

I have bar-end shifters and vastly prefer them to downtube shifters where your hands leave the
handlebar entirely.

My bike is the Trek 520, and it is a marvelous bike.

Hello Jacques,

There are two reasons why bar-end shifters are more popular with tourers.

1. If you're far from home and you drop or crash the bike and the rear hanger gets bent the index shifting won't work. With bar end shifters you can select friction mode and be on your way.

2. Serious loaded touring bikes will have cantilever or v brakes in order to have clearance for larger tires and fenders. There is more cable stretch with this type setup. It feels squishy compared to a nice set of road racing calipers and you'll find that you'll be pulling back on the brake levers further. With the dual control levers the little levers behind the brake levers can end up hitting the handlebars while you're squeezing the brakes on a long desent, pretty unnerving feeling.

Hope this helps,

Mel