bar-end to mountain conversion question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Strickla, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I want to set my everyday/sport-tourer up with cable splitters so that I can switch between drop
    bars w/ bar-end shifters and mountain bike bars with mountain bike shifters. Therefore, I want to
    replace my 105 front derailleur with an XT so that I can use LX or XT shifters on the mountain bike
    bars without compatibility problems. The problem is that the XT derailleur tops out at a 48 tooth
    large chain ring and I have a 50 tooth large chain ring. Can I get away with a two-tooth difference
    or am I asking for trouble with the shifting of the LX/XT shifters? Also, anyone with experience
    with such a set-up got any advice on the best way to set it up? Thanks in advance.

    Rob Strickland

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:18:37 +0200, "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I want to set my everyday/sport-tourer up with cable splitters so that I can switch between drop
    >bars w/ bar-end shifters and mountain bike bars with mountain bike shifters. Therefore, I want to
    >replace my 105 front derailleur with an XT so that I can use LX or XT shifters on the mountain bike
    >bars without compatibility problems. The problem is that the XT derailleur tops out at a 48 tooth
    >large chain ring and I have a 50 tooth large chain ring. Can I get away with a two-tooth difference
    >or am I asking for trouble with the shifting of the LX/XT shifters? Also, anyone with experience
    >with such a set-up got any advice on the best way to set it up? Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Rob Strickland

    Is there a reason that you need an LX/XT front derailleur rather than the 105? Is this a known
    problem, that a road front derailleur and a mountain front derailleur won't index with the other
    type of shifter? If so, won't you have shifting problems when you go back to the road shifters?

    I have assumed that the front derailleurs were like the present rears, where the mountain and road
    lines are interchangeable when it comes to indexing.

  3. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I want to set my everyday/sport-tourer up with cable splitters so that I
    can
    > switch between drop bars w/ bar-end shifters and mountain bike bars with mountain bike shifters.
    > Therefore, I want to replace my 105 front
    derailleur
    > with an XT so that I can use LX or XT shifters on the mountain bike bars without compatibility
    > problems. The problem is that the XT derailleur tops out at a 48 tooth large chain ring and I have
    > a 50 tooth large chain ring. Can I get away with a two-tooth difference or am I asking for trouble
    with
    > the shifting of the LX/XT shifters? Also, anyone with experience with such
    > set-up got any advice on the best way to set it up? Thanks in advance.

    It can handle 50T. Try it.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  4. > Is there a reason that you need an LX/XT front derailleur rather than the 105? Is this a known
    > problem, that a road front derailleur and a mountain front derailleur won't index with the other
    > type of shifter? If so, won't you have shifting problems when you go back to the road shifters?
    >
    > I have assumed that the front derailleurs were like the present rears, where the mountain and road
    > lines are interchangeable when it comes to indexing.

    The problem is that bar-con shifters can shift road or mountain front derailleurs but mountain
    shifters won't shift road front derailleurs. Therefore, I solve my problem most simply by using a
    mountain front derailleur. The hitch is that I've got road cranks with a larger big chain ring than
    the mountain derailleurs are designed for. So, your assumption about front derailleurs is a bad
    assumption, although it does hold true for rear derailleurs. Thanks for the input though.

    Rob

  5. In article <[email protected]>, "Robert Strickland"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Is there a reason that you need an LX/XT front derailleur rather than the 105? Is this a known
    > > problem, that a road front derailleur and a mountain front derailleur won't index with the other
    > > type of shifter? If so, won't you have shifting problems when you go back to the road shifters?
    > >
    > > I have assumed that the front derailleurs were like the present rears, where the mountain and
    > > road lines are interchangeable when it comes to indexing.
    >
    > The problem is that bar-con shifters can shift road or mountain front derailleurs but mountain
    > shifters won't shift road front derailleurs. Therefore, I solve my problem most simply by using a
    > mountain front derailleur. The hitch is that I've got road cranks with a larger big chain ring
    > than the mountain derailleurs are designed for. So, your assumption about front derailleurs is a
    > bad assumption, although it does hold true for rear derailleurs. Thanks for the input though.
    >
    > Rob

    Note that Sheldon Brown can hook you up with the unusual NOS "problem solver" derailleurs he can use
    to make road/MTB hybrid indexed front setups work with each other:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front