Bar Ends, are they worth it?

danrche

Aug 1, 2011
Hello All, I'm thinking about getting some bar ends. Are they worth it?

I usually ride long distances on my MTB on trails open not a lot of closed in spaces (ie. trees and stumps and such). It's very cross country ridding and not extreme downhill. My hope is to gain some comfort on the long rides and some power going up the small hills by using the bar ends.

All comments are welcome.....

I've got bar ends on my mountain bikes and on our tandem (pilot and stoker). As much as anything, it gives me an alternative place to put my hands on some long rides. As you mentioned, I pull on them when I'm climbing hills, too. The only negative I've been told about bar ends is they may slip. I have never experienced them slipping; just make sure you snug--make that "tighten"-- them up well when you install them, and check them after they're on there a little while. I've experienced more slipping with handle bars and seats on brand new bikes I have ridden than anything on well-used bikes. In my opinion, the bar ends are a good move. I have an old Schwinn Impact Pro that I use for my commuter and a Diamondback Topanga I just putsy around with. I think the Schwinn has Top Peak bar ends, and the Diamondback's are Salsa. The diameter of the bar end is as important as the length and angle when it comes to comfort. I don't run high-end stuff, but I have solid stuff that I enjoy when I ride. I hope this helped. Happy trails.

Thanks for the advice, I did go and get me some Forte ends and put them on. So far I've clocked 160 miles with them on and it's REALLY MADE A DIFFERENCE! it's nice to have the alt-hand positions, plus it seems more natural to hold on-to the bar ends vs the actual handle bars.

Cheers!