Bar ends on Carbon Fiber

carryday

Feb 23, 2005
Hello,
I really like this site - here goes question 1:
I have brand new FSA 31.8 handle bars but, I want to put my LP carbon Fiber bar-ends on and they say CF handle bars will crunch. There's always a 'workaround,' - Can't I put something inside the bar end that won't allow the handle bar to be damaged? Something light and strong to counter the pressure of the bar end clamp. Roger from LA, Ca. (I'd rather be in Tucson)

There are some special caps for carbon fiber hadlebars that prevent the handlebar colapse. I believe FSA make those caps, aluminium. Goes inside the handlebar and expands (with a hex key) while the bar ends compress. I do not think I make it clear, let me find a pic.

pepe

jcueto said:
There are some special caps for carbon fiber hadlebars that prevent the handlebar colapse. I believe FSA make those caps, aluminium. Goes inside the handlebar and expands (with a hex key) while the bar ends compress. I do not think I make it clear, let me find a pic.

pepe
Thank you!!! I thought so , I'd love to see a picture. I will go to FSA website and see...

Maybe you could just cut a piece of wood dowel to fit tightly into the ends of the bars...

I have a CF seat post that has a piece of aluminum tubing glued inside it up at the top where the seat clamp attaches.

CF is lousy under compression. What you need are bar-ends that have expansion plugs instead of clamps. Someone, somewhere, must make them...

TD

I assume you are talking about the FSA K-Force bars?? These apparently have reinforced zones at the barend, brake/shifter and stem area. I wouldn't trust these 'reinforced' zones though.

One option could be to purchase bar ends that are carbonfibre friendly, as listed on Easton's webiste. Another option would be to change carbon bars and get one with already built in aluminium at the bar end area, but I can't think of any bars like that in 31.8 size.

If you cannot find those aluminium FSA end caps, then wooden dowel probably wouldn't work, as you wouldn't be able to use end caps, which are compulsory at most races for safety issues. So, perhaps your best bet would be to try and get some aluminium glued into the ends.

HTH.

Cycledesign plugs (not FSA). Here is a picture. Soem bars have the reinforcement.

Pepe