Bar,Stem,Headset question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by David, May 30, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I just purchased a pair of Rockshox Duke XC tonight and getting them installed tommorow.

    My question is.... I have a KHS Comp Montana that has a dia-compe Aheadset on it , what I think are
    cheap bars and the clamp that holds the bars looks to me like a cheapie.

    I want to go to black components ( like the stealth look ) ... What should I look at getting to
    basically replace the front end of my bike. It has Deore LX all the way around which has worked
    awesome for me thus far, so this is my only concern at the moment. ( WELL , maybe a new seat post in
    black too )

    Thanks to all who reply and sorry if I dont know all the parts technical terms.

    Tags:

  2. David wrote:
    > I just purchased a pair of Rockshox Duke XC tonight and getting them installed tommorow.
    >
    > My question is.... I have a KHS Comp Montana that has a dia-compe Aheadset on it , what I think
    > are cheap bars and the clamp that holds the bars looks to me like a cheapie.

    That is a statement not a question.

    > I want to go to black components ( like the stealth look ) ... What should I look at getting to
    > basically replace the front end of my bike.

    If'n it's gotta be black....I like the Profile "Stiffy" stem

    >( WELL , maybe a new seat post in black too )

    Thomson makes a swell seatpost, availible in black.

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > David wrote:
    > > I just purchased a pair of Rockshox Duke XC tonight and getting them installed tommorow.
    > >
    > > My question is.... I have a KHS Comp Montana that has a dia-compe
    Aheadset
    > > on it , what I think are cheap bars and the clamp that holds the bars
    looks
    > > to me like a cheapie.
    >
    > That is a statement not a question.
    >

    > > I want to go to black components ( like the stealth look ) ... What
    should I
    > > look at getting to basically replace the front end of my bike.
    >
    > If'n it's gotta be black....I like the Profile "Stiffy" stem
    >

    > >( WELL , maybe a new seat post in black too )
    >
    > Thomson makes a swell seatpost, availible in black.

    And if you want the matched badass look, get the Thomson stem too. Availible in black ;)

    Jon Bond

  4. "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just purchased a pair of Rockshox Duke XC tonight and getting them installed tommorow.
    >
    > My question is.... I have a KHS Comp Montana that has a dia-compe Aheadset on it , what I think
    > are cheap bars and the clamp that holds the bars
    looks
    > to me like a cheapie.
    >
    > I want to go to black components ( like the stealth look ) ... What should
    > look at getting to basically replace the front end of my bike. It has
    Deore
    > LX all the way around which has worked awesome for me thus far, so this is my only concern at the
    > moment. ( WELL , maybe a new seat post in black
    too )

    > Thanks to all who reply and sorry if I dont know all the parts technical terms.

    http://www.bikeman.com/catalog/seatposts/thomsonelite.htm

    The Thompson's post is great stuff. The Race Face Prodigy stem is good for the $, The "T's" a
    lot more $$$

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > David wrote:
    > >( WELL , maybe a new seat post in black too )
    >
    > Thomson makes a swell seatpost, availible in black.

    I second that, though i can't use mine (*wimper*)
    --
    ~Travis

  6. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Sat, 31 May 2003 09:33:46 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

    >ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    >> David wrote:
    >> >( WELL , maybe a new seat post in black too )
    >>
    >> Thomson makes a swell seatpost, availible in black.
    >>

    >I second that, though i can't use mine (*wimper*)

    then you don't count do you?

  7. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Dave W <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > On Sat, 31 May 2003 09:33:46 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > >>
    > >> Thomson makes a swell seatpost, availible in black.
    > >>

    > >I second that, though i can't use mine (*wimper*)
    >

    > then you don't count do you?

    yeah, but i have used it, so i do count, in a way.
    --
    ~Travis

  8. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    FSA

    Fire up MTB 03

  9. Mr. E. Mann

    Mr. E. Mann Guest

    "D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> wrote in news:rJ%[email protected]:

    > "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I just purchased a pair of Rockshox Duke XC tonight and getting them installed tommorow.
    >>
    >> My question is.... I have a KHS Comp Montana that has a dia-compe Aheadset on it , what I think
    >> are cheap bars and the clamp that holds the bars
    > looks
    >> to me like a cheapie.
    >>
    >> I want to go to black components ( like the stealth look ) ... What should
    >> look at getting to basically replace the front end of my bike. It has
    > Deore
    >> LX all the way around which has worked awesome for me thus far, so this is my only concern at the
    >> moment. ( WELL , maybe a new seat post in black
    > too )
    >>
    >> Thanks to all who reply and sorry if I dont know all the parts technical terms.
    >

    > http://www.bikeman.com/catalog/seatposts/thomsonelite.htm
    >
    > The Thompson's post is great stuff. The Race Face Prodigy stem is good for the $, The "T's" a lot
    > more $$$
    >
    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I like my RaceFace Deus. Looks cool and works great.

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just purchased a pair of Rockshox Duke XC tonight and getting them installed tommorow.
    >
    > My question is.... I have a KHS Comp Montana that has a dia-compe Aheadset on it , what I think
    > are cheap bars and the clamp that holds the bars
    looks
    > to me like a cheapie.
    >
    > I want to go to black components ( like the stealth look ) ... What should
    > look at getting to basically replace the front end of my bike. It has
    Deore
    > LX all the way around which has worked awesome for me thus far, so this is my only concern at the
    > moment. ( WELL , maybe a new seat post in black
    too )

    > Thanks to all who reply and sorry if I dont know all the parts technical terms.

    I would answer all your questions with the single word "RaceFace." Maybe not for the headset - even
    though RF sets rule, you can get a cheapo (but still brand name) headset for under $20 that does
    just as well...Ritchey Logics are fine, and you can find them for $10 now and then Provided you
    install it right, and maintain it once in a while.

    Thomson stuff sucks, and it sucks even harder when you misspell it "Thompson" you freaking hosers.

    I am not Canadian, and I apologize to all my slow-talkin' beer-drinkin' sister-kissin' brothers to
    the north for aping you culture there...and for insulting you here. You know I love Canadah, ey.
    Look how hard I pimp RaceFace.

    Chris