Bar Tape Recommendations?

mrhappy

Sep 15, 2003
Hey kids,

I'm looking for some recommendations for some groovy newfangled bar tape to replace the shiney white stuff I've had on there since the 80's.

Have been doing some updates to my 87'(?) Schwinn Circuit as I've gotten back into cycling this year after a long layoff.

Since I'll be changing my bars and replacing my tired old brake cables I figured I might as well put on some of that fancy,comfy looking, rubbery stuff!

Thanks,

MH

Originally posted by mrhappy
Hey kids,

I'm looking for some recommendations for some groovy newfangled bar tape to replace the shiney white stuff I've had on there since the 80's.

Have been doing some updates to my 87'(?) Schwinn Circuit as I've gotten back into cycling this year after a long layoff.

Since I'll be changing my bars and replacing my tired old brake cables I figured I might as well put on some of that fancy,comfy looking, rubbery stuff!

Thanks,

MH

I did the same thing over the spring and summer, I went with Cinnelli cork. It feels better than the plastic stuff I ad before and I like the look of the black cork and my red bike.

The Stella Azzura Pave/extra soft tape is amazingly soft, and has a very nice tacky, yet slick grip. See if your LBS carries it, if not, Hawley is a distributer that we get it from.

Originally posted by mrhappy
Hey kids,

Thanks,

MH
Being that it is a non durable disposable comodity: whatever is cheap,as long as the color is not too disagreeable to the fashiion police.

I have heard that the Cinelli "Gel" Cork is very good comfort-wise.

I just use the normal Cinelli cork stuff myself, never had much of a problem with handlebar vibrations/hand fatigue.

Your post just rang a bell.
Has anyone tried wrapping strips of inner tube around the bars and putting cloth tape over it?
I did it years ago but don't have any memories; positive or negative. Maybe I'll give a try this winter.

Originally posted by rek
I have heard that the Cinelli "Gel" Cork is very good comfort-wise.

I just use the normal Cinelli cork stuff myself, never had much of a problem with handlebar vibrations/hand fatigue.

Yep, Cinelli cork works great for me too. I don't have any hand soreness issues, but if I did, would check out good gel gloves rather than trying to build up a gel layer on the bars.

Dan

CORK by all means! I had a terrible time with synthetics, and replaced them twice before going to cork, which has not had to be replaced in 1500 miles, and in fact is not showing any significant wear.