bar tape

hod65

Jun 24, 2009
anyone sugestions on cleaning bar tape have white bar tape which came with the bike its gone very dirty of late tried a few detergents with water getting nowhere ....?

hod65 said:
anyone sugestions on cleaning bar tape have white bar tape which came with the bike its gone very dirty of late tried a few detergents with water getting nowhere ....?
Your LBS has the solution -- new handlebar tape ... particularly if the current tape has been on your bike for more than a year.

yea man tape is cheap enough, just replace it. the profile design cork stuff is like $9. for that price its just not worth trying to clean it. do yourself a favor and get a dark color this time.

alfeng said:
Your LBS has the solution -- new handlebar tape ... particularly if the current tape has been on your bike for more than a year.
only on 6 weeks but impossible to keep white clean will get darker stuff :cool:

hod65 said:
only on 6 weeks but impossible to keep white clean will get darker stuff :cool:
Okay. You actually CAN clean it, but you have to be as cheap as I normally am to endeavor to do so ...

Initially, you can try using liquid laundry detergent on the tape ... put the detergent directly on the handlebar tape ... lather it up with a wet sponge ... rinse & repeat. This could require much more time than you will find it is worth taking ...

You may have ZERO success OR find that it isn't that big a deal to spend the time to clean the tape.

BTW. Handlebar tape which is NOT porous is still available, so if you are inclined toward white handlebar tape, then THAT is what you should be on the look out for.

alfeng said:
Okay. You actually CAN clean it, but you have to be as cheap as I normally am to endeavor to do so ...

Initially, you can try using liquid laundry detergent on the tape ... put the detergent directly on the handlebar tape ... lather it up with a wet sponge ... rinse & repeat. This could require much more time than you will find it is worth taking ...

You may have ZERO success OR find that it isn't that big a deal to spend the time to clean the tape.

BTW. Handlebar tape which is NOT porous is still available, so if you are inclined toward white handlebar tape, then THAT is what you should be on the look out for.
thanks wil give it atry as the bike is black with white lettering the white bar tape looks prety good growing to like it ....;)

bicyclerubber said:
Lizardskins DSP tape is the only tape I've ever owned that actually 'survives' washing
found a section on the web about cleaning tape they use dish washer powder mixed in dish of warm water ......:cool:

You can but bleach wipes, like baby wipes only with bleach. Then soap and rinse off. I also found simple dish soap, warm water and a brush worked fine thou.

I've found the best way to clean white bar tape is to have black bar tape. As a bonus, if my hands get a bit greasy after changing a rear flat, the grease blends in with the bar tape, as well as my black bibs.

Darker tape certainly requires less maintenance but sometimes you gotta go for fashion. I've found a couple drops of dish-washing liquid on a rag works wonders. Rinse & ride.

bicyclerubber said:
Lizardskins DSP tape is the only tape I've ever owned that actually 'survives' washing

how is the durability on those? I love how they look, love how they feel, but am reluctant to spending $35 for bar tape if they will only last me 5 to 6 months. I have seen and heard mixed reviews, but mostly bad reviews on the durability.

bianchi10 said:
how is the durability on those? I love how they look, love how they feel, but am reluctant to spending $35 for bar tape if they will only last me 5 to 6 months. I have seen and heard mixed reviews, but mostly bad reviews on the durability.

Longevity reviews have been mixed, at best. I've got it on my bars, now, but I can't yet report anything. It is a very comfortable bar tape. It's also the only bar tape I've used that's come with a useful finishing tape.

I read one review that despaired the longevity wherein the writer was switching to Deda tape, something he claimed lasted a long time. Deda tape, for me, doesn't last at all. It's reviews like that which make take such reviews very lightly.

just to get back to cleaning the white stuff used 'cif 'cream and a small sponge with one rough side , a bit of scrubing for 5 mins and was very impressed with result and so liittle time too....:cool:

alienator said:
My black bar tape is still black without any effort at cleaning.

wow no way! congrats....how were you able to obtain such a color for such a long period of time?! :D

bianchi10 said:
wow no way! congrats....how were you able to obtain such a color for such a long period of time?! :D

I did it through a concerted lack of effort that, with respect to bike cleaning, I've perfected over the years.

hahahahaha, so that's how it's done! I will have to give that a shot. it's a shame I got a nearly all white bike, seat, and bar tape :D