bar tape

davek

New Member
Jan 22, 2004
Does anyone have any particular recommendations for makes/brands of bar tape?

thanks in advance,

d.

davek wrote:
> Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
> makes/brands of bar tape?

Silva - very good.

davek wrote:
> Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
> makes/brands of bar tape?

Back in my drops days I used Cinelli cork tape, which not
only works well IME but is available in lots of different
patterns and colours from plain black to very unplain
psycadelic.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

I insist on black leather bar tape. Looks classic and is extremely durable. A mate of mine has 20 year old tape on all his bikes and it's still going strong.

Cinelli does it for me. Not only does it work well, but
the vast range of colours/styles make it aesthetically
pleasing also....

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
> makes/brands of bar tape?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> d.
>

> --

The Slapster:
>Cinelli does it for me.

Cheers all. Leather sounds like it might be a bit expensive so I'll stick with the Cinelli or the Silva...

...except that I won't because I've just been for a stroll up to Bikefix and they didn't have either in stock so I got some 3T tape instead, which the chap in there recommended.

Saw some funny things on my way up there - a courier on a fixie, and a chap in a suit on a hybrid who I could swear was Channel 4 newsreader Jon Snow.

d.

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
> makes/brands of bar tape?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> d.

Cinelli is very good but I've also found BBB and Profile to
be good. ITM is awful avoid it at all costs.

Graham

davek wrote:

> ..except that I won't because I've just been for a stroll
> up to Bikefix and they didn't have either in stock so I
> got some 3T tape instead, which the chap in there
> recommended.

ICBW but it may be that Cinelli got rebranded to 3T, as
that's what I ended up getting a pal for a Chrimbo pres last
year and it looked like the Cinelli stuff, down to amazing
colour scheme...

Pete.
--

davek wrote:
> Cheers all. Leather sounds like it might be a bit
> expensive so I'll stick with the Cinelli or the Silva...

I'm happy enough with artificial leather tape from Dyason's.
Bit thicker, softer and longer lasting than some cork tape.

> Saw some funny things on my way up there - a courier
> on a fixie

Quite a few of those about.

> a chap in a suit on a hybrid who I could swear was Channel
> 4 newsreader Jon Snow.

Probably was! He does use a bike to get about in London and
has done tough multi-day charity ride(s).

~PB

Pete Biggs:
>Quite a few of those about.

Ah. I've never knowingly seen one before. I think *all* couriers should ride fixies.

>Probably was! He does use a bike to get about in London

Yes, I know he's a keen cyclist, which is partly why I was so sure it was him.

d.

> davek wrote:
> > Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
> > makes/brands of bar tape?

I was getting a lot of back trouble and thought it may have
been due to my bar tape being a bit hard to get a good grip
on, so I added old inner tubes, which was often used in the
old days.This was a very good move.The extra thickness gives
a comfortable grip and there is excellent adhesion, so that
I do not have to hold on so tightly to get good control.And
it is also beautiful and stylish as well as functional. It's
east to sneer, especially at my bikes, but some simple
things simply work. TerryJ

"crystal_tears_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I insist on black leather bar tape. Looks classic and is
> extremely durable. A mate of mine has 20 year old tape on
> all his bikes and it's still going strong.

Eeeeeuuuuwwww!!! 20 years of sweat and crud ready to leach
out at a moment's notice :-(

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I was getting a lot of back trouble and thought it may
> have been due to my bar tape being a bit hard to get a
> good grip on, so I added old inner tubes, which was often
> used in the old days.This was a very good move.The extra
> thickness gives a comfortable grip and there is excellent
> adhesion, so that I do not have to hold on so tightly to
> get good control.And it is also beautiful and stylish as
> well as functional. It's east to sneer, especially at my
> bikes, but some simple things simply work.

Do you use the inner tube as a under-layer for the tape, or
a replacement for the tape?

Jon

davek wrote:

> Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
> makes/brands of bar tape?

I actually have a fetish for the shiny stuff with no
padding, but few places sell it any more.

I am using ITM tape, and I have had no problems. Never used
anything else though. What is so bad about it?

Graham wrote:
> "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
>>makes/brands of bar tape?
>>
>>thanks in advance,
>>
>>d.
>>

> Cinelli is very good but I've also found BBB and Profile
> to be good. ITM is awful avoid it at all costs.
>
> Graham

Originally posted by Mark South
"crystal_tears_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I insist on black leather bar tape. Looks classic and is
> extremely durable. A mate of mine has 20 year old tape on
> all his bikes and it's still going strong.

Eeeeeuuuuwwww!!! 20 years of sweat and crud ready to leach
out at a moment's notice :-(

Silly Boy ! He cleans it regularly so it looks brand spanking new. Cork tape is just a rip off in my view. It doesn't last very long and looks manky after a short while.

"crystal_tears_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mark South wrote:
> > "crystal_tears_" <[email protected]>
> > wrote in message [email protected]:A73pc.20416$Fx6.8914@fe-
> > 17.usenetserver.com...
> > > I insist on black leather bar tape. Looks classic
> > > and is extremely durable. A mate of mine has 20 year
> > > old tape on all his bikes and it's still going
> > > strong.
> > Eeeeeuuuuwwww!!! 20 years of sweat and crud ready to
> > leach out at a moment's notice :-(
>
> Silly Boy ! He cleans it regularly so it looks brand
> spanking new. Cork tape is just a rip off in my view.
> It doesn't last very long and looks manky after a
> short while.

(There seems to be an echo in here?)

Some of us prefer cork tape. It's less likely to irritate
your skin on long rides and not all of us are into the
leather thing. And it's cheap enough to change a couple
times a season.
--
Mark South Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net <<Tiens!
Ce poulet a une grenade!

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> davek wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
>> makes/brands of bar tape?
>

> I actually have a fetish for the shiny stuff with no
> padding, but few places sell it any more.

However, I noticed the other day that Decathlon sell good
old-fashioned Tressorex cloth tape.

RH