bar tape

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by davek, May 14, 2004.

  1. davek

    davek New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2004
    Does anyone have any particular recommendations for makes/brands of bar tape?

    thanks in advance,

    d.

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    davek wrote:
    > Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
    > makes/brands of bar tape?

    Silva - very good.

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    davek wrote:
    > Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
    > makes/brands of bar tape?

    Back in my drops days I used Cinelli cork tape, which not
    only works well IME but is available in lots of different
    patterns and colours from plain black to very unplain
    psycadelic.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

  4. crystal_tears_

    crystal_tears_ New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2003
    I insist on black leather bar tape. Looks classic and is extremely durable. A mate of mine has 20 year old tape on all his bikes and it's still going strong.

  5. The Slapster

    The Slapster Guest

    Cinelli does it for me. Not only does it work well, but
    the vast range of colours/styles make it aesthetically
    pleasing also....

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
    > makes/brands of bar tape?
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    >
    > d.
    >

    > --

  6. davek

    davek New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2004
    The Slapster:
    >Cinelli does it for me.

    Cheers all. Leather sounds like it might be a bit expensive so I'll stick with the Cinelli or the Silva...

    ...except that I won't because I've just been for a stroll up to Bikefix and they didn't have either in stock so I got some 3T tape instead, which the chap in there recommended.

    Saw some funny things on my way up there - a courier on a fixie, and a chap in a suit on a hybrid who I could swear was Channel 4 newsreader Jon Snow.

    d.

  7. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
    > makes/brands of bar tape?
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    >
    > d.

    Cinelli is very good but I've also found BBB and Profile to
    be good. ITM is awful avoid it at all costs.

    Graham

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    davek wrote:

    > ..except that I won't because I've just been for a stroll
    > up to Bikefix and they didn't have either in stock so I
    > got some 3T tape instead, which the chap in there
    > recommended.

    ICBW but it may be that Cinelli got rebranded to 3T, as
    that's what I ended up getting a pal for a Chrimbo pres last
    year and it looked like the Cinelli stuff, down to amazing
    colour scheme...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    davek wrote:
    > Cheers all. Leather sounds like it might be a bit
    > expensive so I'll stick with the Cinelli or the Silva...

    I'm happy enough with artificial leather tape from Dyason's.
    Bit thicker, softer and longer lasting than some cork tape.

    > Saw some funny things on my way up there - a courier
    > on a fixie

    Quite a few of those about.

    > a chap in a suit on a hybrid who I could swear was Channel
    > 4 newsreader Jon Snow.

    Probably was! He does use a bike to get about in London and
    has done tough multi-day charity ride(s).

    ~PB

  10. davek

    davek New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2004
    Pete Biggs:
    >Quite a few of those about.

    Ah. I've never knowingly seen one before. I think *all* couriers should ride fixies.

    >Probably was! He does use a bike to get about in London

    Yes, I know he's a keen cyclist, which is partly why I was so sure it was him.

    d.

  11. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > davek wrote:
    > > Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
    > > makes/brands of bar tape?

    I was getting a lot of back trouble and thought it may have
    been due to my bar tape being a bit hard to get a good grip
    on, so I added old inner tubes, which was often used in the
    old days.This was a very good move.The extra thickness gives
    a comfortable grip and there is excellent adhesion, so that
    I do not have to hold on so tightly to get good control.And
    it is also beautiful and stylish as well as functional. It's
    east to sneer, especially at my bikes, but some simple
    things simply work. TerryJ

  12. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "crystal_tears_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I insist on black leather bar tape. Looks classic and is
    > extremely durable. A mate of mine has 20 year old tape on
    > all his bikes and it's still going strong.

    Eeeeeuuuuwwww!!! 20 years of sweat and crud ready to leach
    out at a moment's notice :-(

  13. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I was getting a lot of back trouble and thought it may
    > have been due to my bar tape being a bit hard to get a
    > good grip on, so I added old inner tubes, which was often
    > used in the old days.This was a very good move.The extra
    > thickness gives a comfortable grip and there is excellent
    > adhesion, so that I do not have to hold on so tightly to
    > get good control.And it is also beautiful and stylish as
    > well as functional. It's east to sneer, especially at my
    > bikes, but some simple things simply work.

    Do you use the inner tube as a under-layer for the tape, or
    a replacement for the tape?

    Jon

  14. davek wrote:

    > Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
    > makes/brands of bar tape?

    I actually have a fetish for the shiny stuff with no
    padding, but few places sell it any more.

  15. David Waters

    David Waters Guest

    I am using ITM tape, and I have had no problems. Never used
    anything else though. What is so bad about it?

    Graham wrote:
    > "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
    >>makes/brands of bar tape?
    >>
    >>thanks in advance,
    >>
    >>d.
    >>

    > Cinelli is very good but I've also found BBB and Profile
    > to be good. ITM is awful avoid it at all costs.
    >
    > Graham

  16. David Waters

    Graham wrote:
    > "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
    >>makes/brands of bar tape?
    >>
    >>thanks in advance,
    >>
    >>d.
    >>

    > Cinelli is very good but I've also found BBB and Profile
    > to be good. ITM is awful avoid it at all costs.
    >
    > Graham

  17. crystal_tears_

    crystal_tears_ New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2003
    Silly Boy ! He cleans it regularly so it looks brand spanking new. Cork tape is just a rip off in my view. It doesn't last very long and looks manky after a short while.

  18. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "crystal_tears_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mark South wrote:
    > > "crystal_tears_" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote in message [email protected]:[email protected]
    > > 17.usenetserver.com...
    > > > I insist on black leather bar tape. Looks classic
    > > > and is extremely durable. A mate of mine has 20 year
    > > > old tape on all his bikes and it's still going
    > > > strong.
    > > Eeeeeuuuuwwww!!! 20 years of sweat and crud ready to
    > > leach out at a moment's notice :-(
    >
    > Silly Boy ! He cleans it regularly so it looks brand
    > spanking new. Cork tape is just a rip off in my view.
    > It doesn't last very long and looks manky after a
    > short while.

    (There seems to be an echo in here?)

    Some of us prefer cork tape. It's less likely to irritate
    your skin on long rides and not all of us are into the
    leather thing. And it's cheap enough to change a couple
    times a season.
    --
    Mark South Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net <<Tiens!
    Ce poulet a une grenade!

  19. Roger Hughes

    Roger Hughes Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > davek wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any particular recommendations for
    >> makes/brands of bar tape?
    >

    > I actually have a fetish for the shiny stuff with no
    > padding, but few places sell it any more.

    However, I noticed the other day that Decathlon sell good
    old-fashioned Tressorex cloth tape.

    RH

  20. Roger Hughes

    Roger Hughes Guest