Barbara Bush Puts Her Foot In It

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Carrera, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Carrera

Carrera New Member

The following comment has just been made by Barbara Bush with regard to the refugees from Louisiana:
    "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," she said during a radio interview with the American Public Media program "Marketplace." "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."
    Oops! That wasn't the most diplomatic statement to make. To paraphrase what Barabara Bush actually mean we might write:
    "Hey, we don't want all these riff raff from New Orleans getting to comfortable in our good old Texas. You know, this is taking liberties!"

Tags:

2. Carrera

Carrera New Member

The Editor and Publisher has featured the same story. They explain that Barbara Bush made her slip while visiting hurricane relief centres in Houston:
    "Barbara Bush said today, referring to the poor who had lost everything back home and evacuated,
    'This is working very well for them'."
    In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: "Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to Houston." :eek:
    Then she added: "What I’m hearing which is sort of scary is they all want to stay in Texas. :eek: Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.
    "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

3. Carrera

Carrera New Member

You know, I can see trouble here. Barbara Bush hinted at something that may become a real problem. I hear the refugees from New Orleans are so messed up and traumatised they have been buying guns in Texas. Meantime, not all Texans may want to welcome the refugees or there may be some resentment that could build up. Will Texans still look on these poor folks as brothers in need or will they fail to show compassion?

4. lyotard

lyotard New Member

the true colors of the bush family come clearly into focus, callous disregard, elitism, discrimination, generalization, classcism, economic racism, derogatory stereotyping, the list goes on.
    hope of restoring any semblance of good public relations are down the toilet at this point...

as it would take renouncing all they stand for.

I still hope, struggling to be ever the optimist, something good will become of this.
    the true value of "charity begins at home" can now be realized.
    The deluded masses who could still find some way to support bush and his priveleged criminal syndicate will now realize they have been duped into supporting a government whose main concern is military enforcement of multinational corporate interests, with little regard for life, both at home and abroad.

5. lyotard

lyotard New Member

ask the self-appointed texas citizen border patrol that has been active of late...keepin' the good 'ol us of a free from immigrants is their stated goal.

oops, i forgot, those are mexicans these good ol' boys are lookin' for, a class even lower yet in the compassionate texan eyes?

6. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I saw some footage of the black refugee children starting school in Texas. From what I saw they were being welcomed by the Texas community and I hope that continues to be the case. Some of the children said they had already made friends at school.
    So, I hope the people of Texas do show compassion in this situation and show some warmth to the victims.
    I don't know whether Barbara Bush was joking when she made these comments and certainly hope she didn't mean it literally.

7. tarczan

tarczan New Member

It's easy to post here and spout Marxist thoughts; why not invite some refugees from the Terror Dome into your abode for some R&R?

8. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I've lived in poor areas myself and cities probably more dangerous (or poorer than New Orleans).
    I guess what New Orleans demonstrated is that crime and poverty has become predominant amongst the black Americans of this city. We have the same problems over here where I lived. Where there is poverty there is crime.

9. lyotard

lyotard New Member

and where there is wealth there is white collar crime,
    witness of late enron and tyco. go back a bit for the savings and loan scandals, yet further for the monopolies and robber barons.
    our own government is involved in the vast wealth of multinational corporate interests of the billions, we just send the troops in to enforce the lootin'.

and all that goes with it...

10. tarczan

tarczan New Member

West Virginia, the poorest US state, has one of the lowest crime rates. It is also has the highest percentage of Europeans.

Crime is not a product of poverty.

11. Carrera

Carrera New Member

If you're suggesting crime is linked to the black populations of U.S. states, you should have tried living in Moscow around 1990. According to a Texan I met, this was the highest level of crime he had experienced. I was also hanging around Moscow back then and can confirm it would make New Orleans seem like Disney.

12. Wurm

Wurm New Member

What would any of you and your family members do if you were starving, dying of thirst in that sweltering heat, with sickness, injury, and death all around you with no medical attention and no organization, etc? It's called survival aka: law of the jungle.

Then think of why this outcome was not avoided when it could and should have been.

That's right - the "Compassionate Conservative-in-Chief" was playin' gee-tar and speechifyin' while human beings in N.O. were reduced to their basest form of existance.

13. tarczan

tarczan New Member

14. tarczan

tarczan New Member

New Century Foundation, Sept. 14

Major Findings of
    The Color of Crime

Buy The Color of Crime for $8.95
    Buy 10 copies for $60

• Police and the justice system are not biased against minorities.
    Crime Rates

• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.

• When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.

• Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.

• The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.

Interracial Crime

• Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.

• Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Forty-five percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.

• Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.

• Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes against whites than vice versa.

Gangs

• Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.

• Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs. Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.

Incarceration

• Between 1980 and 2003 the US incarceration rate more than tripled, from 139 to 482 per 100,000, and the number of prisoners increased from 320,000 to 1.39 million.

• Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are three times more likely.

(Posted on September 14, 2005)

Sorry to burst the Marxist bubble that our strength is diversity.

15. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Not counting the white-collar's that don't get caught.

16. Colorado Ryder

Colorado Ryder New Member

When did David Duke join the soapbox?

17. tarczan

tarczan New Member

Typical, instead of refuting the facts, mount an ad hominen attack. What specifically do you think is inaccurate?

Debate is more than name calling.

18. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

CRyder, so then, you and I would perhaps both be labled Marxist while at the same time, admonished over name calling.
    Ryder, welcome to the marxist fan club. I too, have been a big fan, first Groucho, then of course, John Lennon.
    watch out for this amren imbiber, i think they have taken over selling flowers from the moonies...

19. tarczan

tarczan New Member

I am waiting for your critique. Poverty does not cause crime. Poverty is a relative term in America. The people in NO do not live in 4000 sq. ft. houses, but they have food and shelter provided by the government. Allmost all labeled poor in the US have TVs and autos.

20. tarczan

tarczan New Member

Stating the fact the Marxist thoughts are sometimes posted here is not name calling.