Barbeir Carbone pump ?

rs

Guest
I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including this neat
little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really seem to work very
well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these? And is mine missing a part?
here's a link to an image of the head:

www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

rs wrote:
> I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including this neat
> little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really seem to work very
> well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these? And is mine missing a part?
> here's a link to an image of the head:
>
> www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

I've been using one for the last couple of years and have been happy
with it. The best "micro" pump I've used; I went through several
self-destructing Zefals previously. It takes me 300 strokes (less than
5 minutes) to get approx. 100psi in a 23mm 700c tire, which may seem
excessive to those that carry larger pumps. All that I notice missing
in your photo is the dust cap. If it's not producing air, there might
be internals missing.

Alan

rs wrote:
> I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including
> this neat little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really
> seem to work very well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these?

It must be held on to the valve firmly and squarely to prevent leakage but
otherwise mine works well. Unlike with other pumps, you need to hold the
protruding tip of the pump from the opposite side of the wheel while
operating the piston from the other side.

High pressure is possible, but still a CO2 inflator in addition saves
work. I take this combination when I don't want to carry around a long
pump off the bike, or when carrying a battery under the top tube. The
weight saving is a bonus too, at the financial cost of one 16g cartridge
per puncture.

~PB

I tried it on a normal rim with much of the presta valve protuding and it
worked fine, so thanks for the comments. Does take a lot of pumping but
seemed to work. The other bike has v-rims with very little valve protuding
and it didn't seem to get enough of the valve into the head of the pump to
work properly. It certainly is small and light.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:18:21 -0600, rs wrote:

> I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including this
> neat little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really seem to work
> very well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these? And is mine missing
> a part? here's a link to an image of the head:
>
> www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

Mine works very well, it just takes awhile because it's so small.

Matt O.

[email protected] (rs) wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> I tried it on a normal rim with much of the presta valve protuding and
> it worked fine, so thanks for the comments. Does take a lot of pumping
> but seemed to work. The other bike has v-rims with very little valve
> protuding and it didn't seem to get enough of the valve into the head of
> the pump to work properly. It certainly is small and light.

Get some tubes with longer valve stems. Or attach extenders.

rs wrote:
> I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including this neat
> little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really seem to work very
> well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these? And is mine missing a part?
> here's a link to an image of the head:
> www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

Sadly, I sold ten of those.
Try to return it for a bicycle pump.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
> rs wrote:
>> I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including
>> this neat little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really
>> seem to work very well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these?
>> And is mine missing a part? here's a link to an image of the head:
>> www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

> Sadly, I sold ten of those.
> Try to return it for a bicycle pump.

Heh.