Barbeir Carbone pump ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rs, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. rs

    rs Guest

    I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including this neat
    little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really seem to work very
    well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these? And is mine missing a part?
    here's a link to an image of the head:

    www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

    Tags:

  2. rs wrote:
    > I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including this neat
    > little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really seem to work very
    > well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these? And is mine missing a part?
    > here's a link to an image of the head:
    >
    > www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

    I've been using one for the last couple of years and have been happy
    with it. The best "micro" pump I've used; I went through several
    self-destructing Zefals previously. It takes me 300 strokes (less than
    5 minutes) to get approx. 100psi in a 23mm 700c tire, which may seem
    excessive to those that carry larger pumps. All that I notice missing
    in your photo is the dust cap. If it's not producing air, there might
    be internals missing.

    Alan

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    rs wrote:
    > I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including
    > this neat little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really
    > seem to work very well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these?

    It must be held on to the valve firmly and squarely to prevent leakage but
    otherwise mine works well. Unlike with other pumps, you need to hold the
    protruding tip of the pump from the opposite side of the wheel while
    operating the piston from the other side.

    High pressure is possible, but still a CO2 inflator in addition saves
    work. I take this combination when I don't want to carry around a long
    pump off the bike, or when carrying a battery under the top tube. The
    weight saving is a bonus too, at the financial cost of one 16g cartridge
    per puncture.

    ~PB

  4. rs

    rs Guest

    I tried it on a normal rim with much of the presta valve protuding and it
    worked fine, so thanks for the comments. Does take a lot of pumping but
    seemed to work. The other bike has v-rims with very little valve protuding
    and it didn't seem to get enough of the valve into the head of the pump to
    work properly. It certainly is small and light.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >rs wrote:
    >> I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including this

    neat
    >> little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really seem to work very
    >> well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these? And is mine missing a

    part?
    >> here's a link to an image of the head:
    >>
    >> www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

    >I've been using one for the last couple of years and have been happy
    >with it. The best "micro" pump I've used; I went through several
    >self-destructing Zefals previously. It takes me 300 strokes (less than
    >5 minutes) to get approx. 100psi in a 23mm 700c tire, which may seem
    >excessive to those that carry larger pumps. All that I notice missing
    >in your photo is the dust cap. If it's not producing air, there might
    >be internals missing.
    >
    >Alan

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:18:21 -0600, rs wrote:

    > I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including this
    > neat little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really seem to work
    > very well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these? And is mine missing
    > a part? here's a link to an image of the head:
    >
    > www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

    Mine works very well, it just takes awhile because it's so small.

    Matt O.

  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (rs) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > I tried it on a normal rim with much of the presta valve protuding and
    > it worked fine, so thanks for the comments. Does take a lot of pumping
    > but seemed to work. The other bike has v-rims with very little valve
    > protuding and it didn't seem to get enough of the valve into the head of
    > the pump to work properly. It certainly is small and light.

    Get some tubes with longer valve stems. Or attach extenders.

  7. Ken

    Ken Guest

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    rs wrote:
    > I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including this neat
    > little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really seem to work very
    > well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these? And is mine missing a part?
    > here's a link to an image of the head:
    > www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

    Sadly, I sold ten of those.
    Try to return it for a bicycle pump.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  9. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    A Muzi wrote:
    > rs wrote:
    >> I purchased a used Road Bike and it came with a few extras including
    >> this neat little Barbieri Carbone pump. Except it doesn't really
    >> seem to work very well, if at all. Is anyone using one of these?
    >> And is mine missing a part? here's a link to an image of the head:
    >> www.rickschiller.com/barbiericarbone.jpg

    > Sadly, I sold ten of those.
    > Try to return it for a bicycle pump.

    Heh.