Barbie saved 11%, NOW FLIES!!!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ed Gin & Shirle, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. The escalating "wars" amongst the Chicago woman lowracer posse riders are afoot. Barb's new
    Velocraft carbon fiber 20 lb. bike is tearing up the tarmac in Barrington Hills and Bull Valley.
    What's this 11% gain thingee? Well, subjecting myself to the possibility of Barbie's backhand
    slapping the living sh** out of me, I'll GUESS her body weight at 100 lbs. Adding this to the new
    bike, we arrive at a 120 lb. total rider/bike package. In comparison, her OLD Baron with tailbox tip
    the scales at 33 lbs. A quick calculation, 120 divided by 133 and you arrive at vola'... 11% saved!

    Wanna see this new speed weapon and rider? go to:
    http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/velokraftBarb1.jpg

    Sunday, on a warm 60 degree day she rode with big guns, AA "Razz Fazz 2 King, Warren B. "Titanium
    Reynolds Lowracer," and Larry "Razz Fazz 1," on the hilly big course ride.

    Rumor #1, Barbie noted "in her rear view mirror" a pair of flailing legs atop a brand new titanium
    lowracer NOT catching her on a couple of climbs! Warren, please clarify?

    Rumor #2, As Barbie sprinted PASS AA, on Old Sutton Road, he really had to turn on the afterburners
    to regain his lead, an amazing feat considering the fact NO ONE gets in front of the local Razz Fazz
    King, EVER! Alan, please clarify?

    Hearing all this hoopla, and being "encouraged" to ride the next day Monday, we tackled the 60 mile
    Bull Valley circuit relishing the gorgeous 70 degree temps.

    Fact #1 On one long descent, Barbie started closing in on me at a uncomfortable rate. Indicating 33
    mph already, I was forced to pedal harder, harder, and harder. As I noted Barbie leaning forward to
    utilize different muscle groups, her speck grew larger, and larger in MY MIRROR. Luckily with a
    final sprint I was able to keep her out of my draft and regain my composure while noting the mid 40
    mph speeds, thank goodness!

    Yes, Warren was correct when he mentioned, my woman rides will be harder this season!

    You can only go faster with time......GO BARBIE!!

    Ed - watch out Earl Russell - Gin

    Tags:

  2. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    You go girl!!!

    "Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The escalating "wars" amongst the Chicago woman lowracer posse riders are afoot. Barb's new
    > Velocraft carbon fiber 20 lb. bike is tearing up the tarmac in Barrington Hills and Bull Valley.
    > What's this 11% gain thingee? Well, subjecting myself to the possibility of Barbie's backhand
    > slapping the living sh** out of me, I'll GUESS her body weight at 100 lbs. Adding this to the
    > new bike, we arrive at a 120 lb. total rider/bike package. In comparison, her OLD Baron with
    > tailbox tip the scales at 33 lbs. A quick calculation, 120 divided by 133 and you arrive at
    > vola'... 11% saved!
    >
    > Wanna see this new speed weapon and rider? go to:
    > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/velokraftBarb1.jpg
    >
    > Sunday, on a warm 60 degree day she rode with big guns, AA "Razz Fazz 2 King, Warren B. "Titanium
    > Reynolds Lowracer," and Larry "Razz Fazz 1," on the hilly big course ride.
    >
    > Rumor #1, Barbie noted "in her rear view mirror" a pair of flailing legs atop a brand new titanium
    > lowracer NOT catching her on a couple of climbs! Warren, please clarify?
    >
    > Rumor #2, As Barbie sprinted PASS AA, on Old Sutton Road, he really had to turn on the
    > afterburners to regain his lead, an amazing feat considering the fact NO ONE gets in front of the
    > local Razz Fazz King, EVER! Alan, please clarify?
    >
    > Hearing all this hoopla, and being "encouraged" to ride the next day Monday, we tackled the 60
    > mile Bull Valley circuit relishing the gorgeous 70 degree temps.
    >
    > Fact #1 On one long descent, Barbie started closing in on me at a uncomfortable rate. Indicating
    > 33 mph already, I was forced to pedal harder, harder, and harder. As I noted Barbie leaning
    > forward to utilize different muscle groups, her speck grew larger, and larger in MY MIRROR.
    > Luckily with a final sprint I was able to keep her out of my draft and regain my composure while
    > noting the mid 40 mph speeds, thank goodness!
    >
    > Yes, Warren was correct when he mentioned, my woman rides will be harder this season!
    >
    > You can only go faster with time......GO BARBIE!!
    >
    > Ed - watch out Earl Russell - Gin

  3. Mikael,

    You are correct, regarding the wheel discs.

    Custom carbon clips are epoxied on the rim, and a flexible fiberglass rod supports the lightweight
    windproof ripstop nylon. A terrific, effective design by Alan, Razz Fazz King......

    Ed

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > "Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" skrev
    >
    > > Wanna see this new speed weapon and rider? go to:
    > > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/velokraftBarb1.jpg
    >
    > Hmm looks vaguely familiar. ;o) Are the wheeldiscs homemade?
    >
    > Regards Mikael

  4. "Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" skrev

    > You are correct, regarding the wheel discs.

    Actually I'm also correct regarding the Velokraft. ;o) (cept hers looks cooler)

    Is there anything on the internet on how to make those discs?

    Best Regards Mikael

  5. Correction to figures...

    Should be 9.77 % vs. 11 %.

    (new value - old value)/old value which comes out to be (120-133)/120 = -9.77%, formula and
    correction courtesy of ransfan from the bentrideronline board.

    Ed - calculator and formula challenged - Gin

    Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara wrote:

    > The escalating "wars" amongst the Chicago woman lowracer posse riders are afoot. Barb's new
    > Velocraft carbon fiber 20 lb. bike is tearing up the tarmac in Barrington Hills and Bull Valley.
    > What's this 11% gain thingee? Well, subjecting myself to the possibility of Barbie's backhand
    > slapping the living sh** out of me, I'll GUESS her body weight at 100 lbs. Adding this to the
    > new bike, we arrive at a 120 lb. total rider/bike package. In comparison, her OLD Baron with
    > tailbox tip the scales at 33 lbs. A quick calculation, 120 divided by 133 and you arrive at
    > vola'... 11% saved!
    >
    > Wanna see this new speed weapon and rider? go to:
    > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/velokraftBarb1.jpg
    >
    > Sunday, on a warm 60 degree day she rode with big guns, AA "Razz Fazz 2 King, Warren B. "Titanium
    > Reynolds Lowracer," and Larry "Razz Fazz 1," on the hilly big course ride.
    >
    > Rumor #1, Barbie noted "in her rear view mirror" a pair of flailing legs atop a brand new titanium
    > lowracer NOT catching her on a couple of climbs! Warren, please clarify?
    >
    > Rumor #2, As Barbie sprinted PASS AA, on Old Sutton Road, he really had to turn on the
    > afterburners to regain his lead, an amazing feat considering the fact NO ONE gets in front of the
    > local Razz Fazz King, EVER! Alan, please clarify?
    >
    > Hearing all this hoopla, and being "encouraged" to ride the next day Monday, we tackled the 60
    > mile Bull Valley circuit relishing the gorgeous 70 degree temps.
    >
    > Fact #1 On one long descent, Barbie started closing in on me at a uncomfortable rate. Indicating
    > 33 mph already, I was forced to pedal harder, harder, and harder. As I noted Barbie leaning
    > forward to utilize different muscle groups, her speck grew larger, and larger in MY MIRROR.
    > Luckily with a final sprint I was able to keep her out of my draft and regain my composure while
    > noting the mid 40 mph speeds, thank goodness!
    >
    > Yes, Warren was correct when he mentioned, my woman rides will be harder this season!
    >
    > You can only go faster with time......GO BARBIE!!
    >
    > Ed - watch out Earl Russell - Gin

  6. Mikael,

    Ah, but you have had yours for awhile, though Barbie is the first of own one here in the States!

    May I ask, what is the approximate weight of your bike less accesories. And what do you perceive
    much boom deflection with hard pedaling?

    I am considering one after seeing the extraordinary finish and design of the bike!

    BTW, contact [email protected] for details on the wheeldiscs, he is the builder.

    Ed - known as "framebreaker" - Gin

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > "Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" skrev
    >
    > > You are correct, regarding the wheel discs.
    >
    > Actually I'm also correct regarding the Velokraft. ;o) (cept hers looks cooler)
    >
    > Is there anything on the internet on how to make those discs?
    >
    > Best Regards Mikael

  7. Mikael asked:

    > Is there anything on the internet on how to make those discs?

    http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/wheeldisk/wheeldisk.htm - based on an original recipe from
    Helmut Walle, and from Uni-Disk even before that. Lgifietsshop Tempelman sell something very
    similar; http://www.ligfietsshop.nl/nl/prijslijst_nl.htm lists "Wieldoekjes 20"" for
    22.98 Euro and "Wieldoekjes 26/28"" for 27.57 Euro.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  8. "Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" skrev...

    > May I ask, what is the approximate weight of your bike less accesories. And what do you perceive
    > much boom deflection with hard pedaling?

    Well its 11 kg with chaintubes and a bell. But I have the monofork and its hub is rather heavy.
    Can't comment on boom deflection. I haven't gotten the play out of the headset yet. (They sent me
    the wrong o-ring) I'm 6 foot 3 so the boom is longer than on Barbies but mine is glued.

    Regards Mikael

  9. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    This is a beautiful bent! Where can I get one, and does it come with a guaranteed max. weight of 100
    lbs. for me???

    C.C.

    > From: Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara <[email protected]> Organization: EarthLink Inc. --
    > http://www.EarthLink.net Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:32:05
    > GMT Subject: Barbie saved 11%, NOW FLIES!!!
    >
    > The escalating "wars" amongst the Chicago woman lowracer posse riders are afoot. Barb's new
    > Velocraft carbon fiber 20 lb. bike is tearing up the tarmac in Barrington Hills and Bull Valley.
    > What's this 11% gain thingee? Well, subjecting myself to the possibility of Barbie's backhand
    > slapping the living sh** out of me, I'll GUESS her body weight at 100 lbs. Adding this to the
    > new bike, we arrive at a 120 lb. total rider/bike package. In comparison, her OLD Baron with
    > tailbox tip the scales at 33 lbs. A quick calculation, 120 divided by 133 and you arrive at
    > vola'... 11% saved!
    >
    > Wanna see this new speed weapon and rider? go to:
    > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/velokraftBarb1.jpg
    >
    > Sunday, on a warm 60 degree day she rode with big guns, AA "Razz Fazz 2 King, Warren B. "Titanium
    > Reynolds Lowracer," and Larry "Razz Fazz 1," on the hilly big course ride.
    >
    > Rumor #1, Barbie noted "in her rear view mirror" a pair of flailing legs atop a brand new titanium
    > lowracer NOT catching her on a couple of climbs! Warren, please clarify?
    >
    > Rumor #2, As Barbie sprinted PASS AA, on Old Sutton Road, he really had to turn on the
    > afterburners to regain his lead, an amazing feat considering the fact NO ONE gets in front of the
    > local Razz Fazz King, EVER! Alan, please clarify?
    >
    > Hearing all this hoopla, and being "encouraged" to ride the next day Monday, we tackled the 60
    > mile Bull Valley circuit relishing the gorgeous 70 degree temps.
    >
    > Fact #1 On one long descent, Barbie started closing in on me at a uncomfortable rate. Indicating
    > 33 mph already, I was forced to pedal harder, harder, and harder. As I noted Barbie leaning
    > forward to utilize different muscle groups, her speck grew larger, and larger in MY MIRROR.
    > Luckily with a final sprint I was able to keep her out of my draft and regain my composure while
    > noting the mid 40 mph speeds, thank goodness!
    >
    > Yes, Warren was correct when he mentioned, my woman rides will be harder this season!
    >
    > You can only go faster with time......GO BARBIE!!
    >
    > Ed - watch out Earl Russell - Gin

  10. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara wrote:

    > ... You can only go faster with time......GO BARBIE!!
    >
    > Ed - watch out Earl Russell - Gin

    Ed,

    Speaking of Earl needing to watch out, has Wendy received her new lowracer yet?

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara wrote:

    > The escalating "wars" amongst the Chicago woman lowracer posse riders are afoot. Barb's new
    > Velocraft carbon fiber 20 lb. bike is tearing up the tarmac in Barrington Hills and Bull
    > Valley....

    Humph! In my completely unbiased opinion, last year "Little Barbie" sold the best all-around
    lowracer she that will ever have.

  12. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    Ed,

    Does your math include the weight lost from her wallet after buying that beautiful machine?

    Seth J.

  13. Carol,

    Just do a search for "Velokraft" and you'll find the site. Remember, this is a Polish bike and
    you'll have to deal with import duties/fees/shipping.

    Ed

    Carol Cohen wrote:

    > This is a beautiful bent! Where can I get one, and does it come with a guaranteed max. weight of
    > 100 lbs. for me???
    >
    > C.C.

  14. Tom,

    The custom Ray Brick cro-moly "Festina" like lowracer is due for delivery at the Indy races
    next month.

    Ed

    Tom Sherman wrote:

    > Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara wrote:
    > >
    > > ... You can only go faster with time......GO BARBIE!!
    > >
    > > Ed - watch out Earl Russell - Gin
    >
    > Ed,
    >
    > Speaking of Earl needing to watch out, has Wendy received her new lowracer yet?

  15. Seth,

    You'd be surprised at the cost of the bike...... much, much less than ANY composite bent on the
    marketplace!

    Ed

    Seth Jayson wrote:

    > Ed,
    >
    > Does your math include the weight lost from her wallet after buying that beautiful machine?
    >
    > Seth J.

  16. Tom,

    Unquestionably, the Sunset will accomodate more easily a broader base of riders. I miss mine (owned
    2 of them at one time).

    Planning to do the Folks on Spokes Easter Ride?

    Ed

    Tom Sherman wrote:

    > Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara wrote:
    > >
    > > The escalating "wars" amongst the Chicago woman lowracer posse riders are afoot. Barb's new
    > > Velocraft carbon fiber 20 lb. bike is tearing up the tarmac in Barrington Hills and Bull
    > > Valley....
    >
    > Humph! In my completely unbiased opinion, last year "Little Barbie" sold the best all-around
    > lowracer she that will ever have.

  17. "Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" skrev...

    > Just do a search for "Velokraft" and you'll find the site. Remember, this is a Polish bike and
    > you'll have to deal with import duties/fees/shipping.

    Kamil does not have a website yet. In a couple of weeks he said. But there is the polish recumbent
    website here: http://poziome.republika.pl/

    And mention and pics of Kamil (Velokrafts) bikes here: http://poziome.republika.pl/techno13.htm

    Mikael (Waiting for the carbon Velokraft LWB with 20 cm seatheight now. ;-) )

  18. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara wrote:

    > ... Planning to do the Folks on Spokes Easter Ride?

    Ed,

    I am hoping to be there on my "ex-Barbie" Sunset.

  19. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    Oh, this is that Polish bike? Cool! I hope it comes to the FOS Easter Ride!

    Sj