Barcelona airport

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Robin Norton, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Robin Norton

    Robin Norton Guest

    Anyone know if it it's difficult to get from Barcelona Airport area to the hinterland. The michelin
    400,000 map shows a mess of motorways and I'm afraid they might make navigation westward difficult.
    Thanks in advance for any info. Rob N

    Tags:

  2. Robin Norton wrote:

    > Anyone know if it it's difficult to get from Barcelona Airport area to the hinterland. The
    > michelin 400,000 map shows a mess of motorways and I'm afraid they might make navigation westward
    > difficult. Thanks in advance for any info. Rob N
    We went into town and out towards Montserrat and then on by Cardona etc. It was fine.

    --
    Gearoid O Laoi

  3. Mark Boyd

    Mark Boyd Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Robin Norton wrote:

    > Anyone know if it it's difficult to get from Barcelona Airport area to the hinterland. The
    > michelin 400,000 map shows a mess of motorways and I'm afraid they might make navigation westward
    > difficult. Thanks in advance for any info. Rob N

    My experience riding into Barcelona last summer was nightmarish. Getting out was much better: I took
    a local train to Ripoll ;-}! While Spain's non local trains don't take bicycles, local ones do. Each
    car has a place for a wheelchair which bicyclists can use for their bikes. If you can get from the
    airport to a train station, perhaps by taxi or shuttle, you'll be fine.

    I rode in from the south on a road that became an Autovia. That was OK until it merged with another
    Autovia. The two merged expressways combined into two lanes with the shoulders blocked by
    construction barriers. I had to merge from the left and take a lane in very heavy traffic. I got out
    as soon as there was a break in the barriers - half a mile? - by lifting my loaded bike over the
    guard rail and walking my bike across a field to an agricultural access road. I survived because
    Spainish drivers are kind...

    By the way, the old city of Barcelona is definitely worth seeing, so I'd recommend getting into the
    city before getting a train to get well away from the city. There is a train/subway station just
    outside the old city.

    Mark <http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html