Barcroft Virginia GT

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by John F. Barnes, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Anyone have any experience with the Barcroft Virginia GT? Good, bad or ugly?

    Tags:

  2. Anyone have any experience with the Barcroft Virginia GT? Good, bad or ugly?

  3. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    "John F. Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone have any experience with the Barcroft Virginia GT? Good, bad or ugly?

    Have had my GT for nine months now. Replaced my V-Rex with it. I am 5' 7" and average build. I knew
    for me this was the bike the first time I rode it. It just fit me well. I like its low stance (19")
    which is lower than all but the low racers (which I have difficulty staying on anyway), its longer
    more stable wheelbase (48"), and its stiff but (at the same time) compliant ride. I also like the
    looks of the bike. I prefer the RANS steering (which it has) and while the RANS seat is fine, I am
    anxiously awaiting Bill Cook's final testing of a possible carbon fiber seat. If not, I may, with
    the help of Ben Fox, try to fabricate one (okay, Ben will do the work, I will pay for
    it). The downside is that with the close configuration you are limited to narrow tires. But I find
    this is one of its appealing qualities as well as being consistent with the overall image of the
    bike. While I use it to commute, its forte is open road riding. The longer wheelbase gives it a
    tad more of a learning curve but the more I ride it (800 + miles so far) the more I am convinced
    that it combines for me all that I want, comfort, decent speed, nice handling, stability and
    looks. Incidentally, Barcroft builds IMHO, top quality bikes. We have a Columbia tandem as well
    with 1800 miles on it (ten months) and nothing has gone wrong with either bike after the initial
    adjustments. They are solid performers.

  4. Mike S