Bare Cable Exposure: Why?

(Pete Cresswell)

Guest
I've got a new bike on which the maker saw fit to braze cable stops on the
chainstay that expose about 4" of cable.

Seems like a lot of work for a minimal weight savings, minimal added stiffness,
and exposing the cables to whatever crud accumulates there (it's an MTB).

There must be a reason.......?
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> I've got a new bike on which the maker saw fit to braze cable stops on the
> chainstay that expose about 4" of cable.
>
> Seems like a lot of work for a minimal weight savings, minimal added stiffness,
> and exposing the cables to whatever crud accumulates there (it's an MTB).
>
> There must be a reason.......?

Normally it's done because cable housing compresses, so you avoid it
where possible. 4" is pretty pointless though.

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:53:36 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've got a new bike on which the maker saw fit to braze cable stops on the
>chainstay that expose about 4" of cable.
>
>Seems like a lot of work for a minimal weight savings, minimal added stiffness,
>and exposing the cables to whatever crud accumulates there (it's an MTB).
>
>There must be a reason.......?

Is it a full-suspension unit? I've seen that done on several of
those, apparently to minimize the housing creep that might otherwise
occur.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.

RE/
>Is it a full-suspension unit? I've seen that done on several of
>those, apparently to minimize the housing creep that might otherwise
>occur.

Yes, FS.

--
PeteCresswell

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 01:57:35 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>RE/
>>Is it a full-suspension unit? I've seen that done on several of
>>those, apparently to minimize the housing creep that might otherwise
>>occur.

>Yes, FS.

Ah. That's probably it, then. They likely wanted to keep suspension
motion from causing the cable housing to creep in either direction and
bind or pull out of a ferrule. By having the section that carries the
cable past the suspension flex anchored to a braze-on at both ends, it
minimizes the number of ways that the cable can do unwanted things.