Bargain 8 Speed Hub Foul Weather Machine

Jun 6, 2006
garage sale GT said:
What do you think of this?

http://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Adventure-Comfort-19-Inch-Frame/dp/B000FW2C3Q/ref=sr_11_1/104-2026648-7287926?ie=UTF8

8 speed internal hub, front and rear drum brakes...I considered buying the bike just to get the wheels for that price. Any thoughts? The ad used to say the hubs were from Sturmey-Archer, now it doesn't...but Sheldon's shop started listing 8-speed sturmey hubs recently too.

I guess you'd have to add fenders though.
well, I relooked at the description and it seems to have a few good reviews on it. If I was looking into a commuter I would consider it... one note though, I use a backpack to carry things because I don't like racks, this bike doesn't seem to be setup to use racks because of the lack of seat stays. Some people would find that a bother...

It arrived after 2 days due to a special offer from Amazon. It's all there, an 8-speed drum brake Sturmey Archer Cadillac. It went together easily in about an hour.

It is very comfortable and I did not have to max out the adjustments even for my 6'1" frame. There are only a few small issues:

***The rear shock is soft and nonadjustable and it takes a bit of technique to pedal without rocking.

***The hub gears are too high, leaving the top gears unusable in most commuting situations. The eighth speed seems to be good for 22-23 mph cruise. The rear sprocket is already 25T (never heard of a bigger 3-spline rear) and the front is 33T. The front is a standard square taper BB but I don't know if anyone makes a singlespeed crankset much lower than 33 but with man-size crank arm length.

***The front hub has the narrowest axle I've ever seen and due to the drum brake the bearings are further inboard; let's hope it does not bend like a freewheel type rear axle does.

***many of the brake fittings are black oxided steel (i.e. they'll rust) and the cable ends and things seem to have no protection against road grit. Therefore, although this machine may stop well in the rain I believe there will still be quite a maintenance issue after a rainy ride.

I don't regret my purchase yet. My main concern is that the brakes or hub may wear prematurely if splattered with road grit (puddle-splash-borne) or will rust. :) so far.

I am considering AV8.0i as well, but there is very little information about it on the net. Your post was the most detailed technical review that I could find so far. How heavy is the bike? I called Cadillac bicycles and was told around 35 pounds, but the answer sounded more like a guess... Hopefully the suspension won't be too soft for my 150 pounds. Is the rear shock on this bike easy to replace? How smooth is the gear shifting?

erview said:
I am considering AV8.0i as well, but there is very little information about it on the net. Your post was the most detailed technical review that I could find so far. How heavy is the bike? I called Cadillac bicycles and was told around 35 pounds, but the answer sounded more like a guess... Hopefully the suspension won't be too soft for my 150 pounds. Is the rear shock on this bike easy to replace? How smooth is the gear shifting?
The rear shock is retained by a couple of allen bolts and nylon bushings. It looks easy to remove but I've never had another rear suspension bike and don't know how easy it will be to match up a different shock-I don't know what the attachment points look like.

I weigh 195 and was able to pedal around without excessive bobbing. I only have 17 miles on it however. You may have to learn to pedal in circles but it can be done.

It's not a light bike but who cares. It feels considerably lighter than a 40lb sack of fertilizer or rock salt, so I don't think it's a full 35 lb.; they may have quoted you the shipping weight.

The shifting's fine.

It's a very pleasant bike. I have not tried it in foul weather but my judgement is that they gave it drum brakes and hub gears to make it a low maintenance lazy man's machine BUT that you'd have to spend a lot of time cleaning the grit out of it after a rainy ride.

I think the Bike deVille is worth $600. Maybe the bike thing is not working out for Caddy and they're blowing them out. I think it would pay to get one and pick up a whole new solid frame from your LBS if you hate the shock.

P.S. The bending load in the front axle is borne by a stack of spacers. The axle only serves to clamp it all together. It should be plenty strong enough.

garage sale GT said:
The rear shock is retained by a couple of allen bolts and nylon bushings. It looks easy to remove but I've never had another rear suspension bike and don't know how easy it will be to match up a different shock-I don't know what the attachment points look like.

I weigh 195 and was able to pedal around without excessive bobbing. I only have 17 miles on it however. You may have to learn to pedal in circles but it can be done.

It's not a light bike but who cares. It feels considerably lighter than a 40lb sack of fertilizer or rock salt, so I don't think it's a full 35 lb.; they may have quoted you the shipping weight.

The shifting's fine.

It's a very pleasant bike. I have not tried it in foul weather but my judgement is that they gave it drum brakes and hub gears to make it a low maintenance lazy man's machine BUT that you'd have to spend a lot of time cleaning the grit out of it after a rainy ride.

I think the Bike deVille is worth $600. Maybe the bike thing is not working out for Caddy and they're blowing them out. I think it would pay to get one and pick up a whole new solid frame from your LBS if you hate the shock.

P.S. The bending load in the front axle is borne by a stack of spacers. The axle only serves to clamp it all together. It should be plenty strong enough.
Thanks for the info. Ordered one today. I hope the shock won't be too annoying.

Regarding the shock, you might have to learn to pedal in circles and use a higher cadence if you don't do so already. However, these habits are beneficial for any bike.

I want to add the comment that I feel these bikes are being dumped on the market and probabaly really are worth what Amazon claims they are, $599.

Other places charge $125-150 for just a multispeed hub which you have to lace into a wheel yourself, and $100 for a drum brake front.

I think Caddy is trying to spread the word about its bikes this way.

P. S. you can just leave the silly backrest off.

garage sale GT said:
So how is the bike?
Just received it a day ago and only had a chance to ride it around a couple of blocks. The assembly was easy (though it came without any assembly instructions).
I was impressed with the high quality components. The shifter works very well, the brakes are a bit soft and not as grippy as my mountain bike brakes, but it can change after the brake in. The bike weighs about 40 lb.
I got it mostly for my wife who is 5'6" and who doesn't have much of the biking experience. So, I ordered 16" frame. Now I wish I got 19" frame instead - the seat is tall enough for my wife when seatpost is nearly fully extended, but it's definitely too short for me (5'9").
19" frame would fit both of us perfectly.
I think, anyone taller than 5'5" should go for 19" frame. I guess, I'll be shopping for 420 mm seatpost now. Overall I am satisfied with my purchase, it's a beautiful well build bike.

Get her a 19" and throw those components on a mountain frame for an all weather commuter! Just a thought......but both hubs alone are $250 worth of gear.

Trust me though. The brakes are super strong once they break in.