Bargain Bike of the week for me

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    I've just bought a 97 or 98 Giant CFR, complete with carbon composite frame and Shimano 600
    Ultegra for £100!

    It is been ridden a fair amount although nothing in the last two years hence it needs a bit of TLC.

    I've been round the block on it and the ride is really nice quite a lot softer than my old 853
    Reynolds framed bike. The shift is still very smooth and precise.

    Can't wait to get it done up and on the road.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

    Tags:

  2. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:35:45 +0100, "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've just bought a 97 or 98 Giant CFR, complete with carbon composite frame and Shimano 600 Ultegra
    >for £100!
    >
    >It is been ridden a fair amount although nothing in the last two years hence it needs a bit of TLC.

    Bought a bargain bike myself today, a Raleigh Record Sprint for a tenner. Not quite in the same
    league as your purchase but a cracking buy none the less. It's in great condition, I've trued the
    wheels, adjusted the brakes, thrown on some new tyres and that's it, all done and ready to roll -
    winter commuting here I come!
    --

    Bob

    Email address is munged. To reply directly remove the beverage.

  3. "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've just bought a 97 or 98 Giant CFR, complete with carbon composite frame and Shimano 600
    > Ultegra for £100!
    >
    > It is been ridden a fair amount although nothing in the last two years hence it needs a
    > bit of TLC.
    >
    > I've been round the block on it and the ride is really nice quite a lot softer than my old 853
    > Reynolds framed bike. The shift is still very smooth and precise.
    >
    > Can't wait to get it done up and on the road.

    And the source of this and other bargains?

  4. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > Bought a bargain bike myself today, a Raleigh Record Sprint for a tenner. Not quite in the same
    > league as your purchase but a cracking buy none the less. It's in great condition, I've trued the
    > wheels, adjusted the brakes, thrown on some new tyres and that's it, all done and ready to roll -
    > winter commuting here I come!

    I can beat that!

    I got a really nice Raleigh Equipe 12 speed for free from an advert on the Internet. Did the C2C on
    it this summer and is now being prepped for winter riding.

    Vernon in Leeds

    Anyone been offered money to take a bike away?

  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I've just bought a 97 or 98 Giant CFR, complete with carbon composite
    frame
    > > and Shimano 600 Ultegra for £100!
    > >
    > > It is been ridden a fair amount although nothing in the last two years
    hence
    > > it needs a bit of TLC.
    > >
    > > I've been round the block on it and the ride is really nice quite a lot softer than my old 853
    > > Reynolds framed bike. The shift is still very
    smooth
    > > and precise.
    > >
    > > Can't wait to get it done up and on the road.
    >
    > And the source of this and other bargains?

    Mine was the old friend of a friend.

    I mentioned to my mate I needed a new bike, he has a wide net of cycling friends, and this one
    turned up. It was owned from new by a mutual friend who is a similar height and expensive taste. It
    got sold on twice but not ridden by the third owner.

    He's happy with a ton (he paid £150) & the space in his shed back.