Bargo, A Cycling Town

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by WiseSal, Jul 2, 2004.

1. WiseSal

WiseSal New Member

Bargo has a BUG (Check out Australian Cyclist) with rides held on the 2nd Sunday of each month. Our quiet country roads are ideal for cycling and we now have a wonderful cafe for replenishing the old bod. Fruit de Boop, look for the hot pink signs on Remembrance Dr.
    The Avon and Nepean Dams are wonderful weekend destinations for a family picnic and a bike ride. Avon is fairly challenging with 13k of "significant" hills and winding road. Nepean, however, is ideal for the kids with a supurb picnic grounds and safe riding areas. I do a 20k round trip to Nepean Dam almost every day and just love it.

Tags:

2. VeloFlash

VeloFlash New Member

The NSW Cycling Federation will be using courses at Bargo for State Championship road races and time trials.

They do provide maps but no profiles. Here is the location of maps for the Junior Championships -

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/files/Race_Courses/Bargo/BargoCourseMap.jpg

How would you describe the topography? Flat, hilly, undulating? If hilly, would you know an estimate of the length and gradients?

Looks like an English ornithologist named the roads. Nightingale, Pheasants Nest, Mockingbird. Not birds native to Australia :)

3. WiseSal

WiseSal New Member

Taking into consideration that I am a relatively new cyclist, and my idea of steep may be different to yours.
    Last year the race started at Mockingbird Rd and, through to the "one lane bridge" (which has now been rebuilt by the council), the rd is gently undulating. From the bridge up to Arina Rd it is a steep up and very steep in places. Arina Rd through to Dwyers Rd is a gentle climb. Dwyers Rd down to the start at Mockingbird is a very steep down but flattens out towards the end.

Actually the rd names all refer to the Lyrebird. Pheasants Nest is where the first sighting by Europeans occurred of the Lyrebird and they thought it was a pheasant. Another name for a Lyrebird is Mockingbird. I saw 2 Lyrebirds today on my ride to Nepean Dam.
    Bargo is also the place where Koalas were first seen. There is a plaque commemorating the first sightings of both the Lyrebird and Koala at “Rest A While Reserve” on Remembrance Drive near the Bargo railway station. There are bike racks there too

4. VeloFlash

VeloFlash New Member

Wisesal. Thanks for all the low down. Now I will be a font of information in the peloton about how the roads came by their names. :) Of course, depending on whether I am able to talk after climbing those hills every 10.45k lap.

5. WiseSal

WiseSal New Member

The course is 10.5k.
    Last week Rebecca Ellis, as coach of the Southern Sports Academy and the Western Sydney Academy came to train on the course. They stayed in budget accommodation at "Wirrimbirra", a wildlife sanctuary. If you would like more info regarding places to stay in and around Bargo, let me know.

6. Bargo

Bargo New Member

Good to see some chat on Bargo. I went out to the course area with Rebecca Ellis who is a Australian representative track cyclist. She thought the hills on the course were hard.. though all hills are hard if your trying to go up them at the pace she was probably exherting. There's some info about Bargo on breakloose.com.au. Bargo is just on hour out of Sydney, Penrith, Sutherland and Wollongong....so come on down and help this town become the most popular bike town. Fruit De Boop (the hot pink coffee shop) with some grass to for cyclist to crash on will look after you (grass as in lawn) and the club and pub are good eating places too.

7. VeloFlash

VeloFlash New Member

Thanks for the offer of pointing out accommodation, Wisesal. However, I am aware Pheasant's Nest/Bargo is not a cut lunch and compass effort from Sydney. :)

So I will drive down there and return on the day. But I will check out the Fruit de Boop to see if there are any sage looking cyclists.

I see Rebecca Ellis quite often at the velodrome/track. From the reports on this thread, she appears to be omnipresent and spreading herself around. :D

8. blevo

blevo New Member

Just a quick reply, i'm from campbelltown way, and am looking for other riders to go riding with, either mtb or road, i don't care i love em both!!!!
    Drop me a line if you are interested

9. Bargo

Bargo New Member

The BArgo BUG is heading out for a ride this Sunday at 8.30am at Phantom Cycles in Tahmoor (remembrance DRive). The NSW Junior Championships are on this Sat/Sun in Bargo so we might head down there after our ride.
    http://www.full-screen-ahead.com.au/cycleBargo.htm