Barnett's manul

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve C., Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Steve C.

    Steve C. Guest

    Is the Barnett's Manual really worth the cost for a new/beginning bike mechanic? I was worried that
    it would be too technical. I live in Colorado Springs and was considering attending the Barnett
    Bicycle Institute classes. Is formal training really helpful or necessary, or is it a reasonable
    expectation to become a decent bike mechanic on your own?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Steve C.) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > Is the Barnett's Manual really worth the cost for a new/beginning bike mechanic?

    Barnett's (and Sutherland's) are intended for professional mechanics and are not tutorial. If you're
    a beginner, I'd start with something less detailed and more tutorial, like Zinn's.

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Steve C." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is the Barnett's Manual really worth the cost for a new/beginning bike mechanic? I was worried
    > that it would be too technical. I live in
    Colorado
    > Springs and was considering attending the Barnett Bicycle Institute
    classes.
    > Is formal training really helpful or necessary, or is it a reasonable expectation to become a
    > decent bike mechanic on your own?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    As an enthusiast cyclist i' ve been interested for a while in doing my bikes manteinance. if you
    search for a while u can find most of barnett's chapters in the internet (most as in 35 or so over
    40), i've also checked zinn's in the bookstore, but so far i' ve found the info in park's website
    more than enough for all my previous repairs which are: changing cables and adjusting derrailleurs,
    overhauling rear derrailleur, overhauling both hubs, changing brake pads. and that is with no bike
    stand and just a few tools. It's not much but everytime i need something it's been there. I almost
    dont check barnett's now because i have grown lazy. If you dont ride a funky bike and u are not
    trying to build a frame i think you have great chance of finding what u need in parks website and
    save money for tools.

  4. "Steve C." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is the Barnett's Manual really worth the cost for a new/beginning bike mechanic? I was worried
    > that it would be too technical. I live in
    Colorado
    > Springs and was considering attending the Barnett Bicycle Institute
    classes.
    > Is formal training really helpful or necessary, or is it a reasonable expectation to become a
    > decent bike mechanic on your own?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    Most of a previous years Barnetts Manual is available on this website about
    3/4 of the way down the page. Save ya $100

    http://rideitbent.net/

  5. scaddel-<< Is the Barnett's Manual really worth the cost for a new/beginning bike mechanic? I was
    worried that it would be too technical. I live in Colorado Springs and was considering attending the
    Barnett Bicycle Institute classes. Is formal training really helpful or necessary, or is it a
    reasonable expectation to become a decent bike mechanic on your own?

    The school and the book are good foundations but the info becomes 'stale' pretty quickly. "Become a
    decent bike mechanic on your own' is possible, as I did after going to a night class. But it takes
    time, hopefully under the guildance of a great wrench, like I did also-