Barnett's school. I think it was worth while.

Dan Burkhart

New Member
Nov 27, 2003
Hi all.
One month after taking the Bicycle repair and overhaul course at Barnett's, here are some thoughts and observations.
First off, The reason for taking the course was my desire to change careers and lifestyle. After more than 30 years of driving various configurations of large commercial vehicles all over the continent, spending far too much time away from home, it is time to do something I have wanted to do for a long time, and that is sell and fix bicycles.
I realise most of the mechanics out there learned on the job from other accomplished mechanics, and it will take me a long time to get to your level if I ever do, but for me and my circumstances, this was the only way to go.
I found the course to be very well structured and presented. The cirriculum is comprehensive and organised, the instuctors are knowlegeable and professional.
The training methods used are very effective. Each operation is first described, then demonstrated, then the students go to work stations and perform the task with immediate feedback from the instructors.
I have been doing uncomplicated operations like hub and bottom bracket overhauls for years, but the results have always been trial and error. I now feel confident I can do these jobs,( and much more,) and get it right first time every time.
Hey, even if I just went for a vacation it was worth it. I had a blast.

"Dan Burkhart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all. One month after taking the Bicycle repair and
> overhaul course at Barnett's, here are some thoughts and
> observations. First off, The reason for taking the course
> was my desire to change careers and lifestyle. After more
> than 30 years of driving various configurations of large
> commercial vehicles all over the continent, spending far
> too much time away from home, it is time to do something I
> have wanted to do for a long time, and that is sell and
> fix bicycles. I realise most of the mechanics out there
> learned on the job from other accomplished mechanics, and
> it will take me a long time to get to your level if I ever
> do, but for me and my circumstances, this was the only way
> to go. I found the course to be very well structured and
> presented. The cirriculum is comprehensive and organised,
> the instuctors are knowlegeable and professional. The
> training methods used are very effective. Each operation
> is first described, then demonstrated, then the students
> go to work stations and perform the task with immediate
> feedback from the instructors. I have been doing
> uncomplicated operations like hub and bottom bracket
> overhauls for years, but the results have always been
> trial and error. I now feel confident I can do these
> jobs,( and much more,) and get it right first time every
> time. Hey, even if I just went for a vacation it was worth
> it. I had a blast.

What was the cost of the course?

What was the cost of the course? [/B][/QUOTE]

All couses and tuitions can be found at www.bbinstitute.com ( click on schedule)
If you have any other specific questions about individual courses, I will be happy to tell you what I know about them.

The only downside is that you need to be good (or lucky)
enough to get a job as a mechanic on a pro team if you want
those lessons to pay you back with anything material.

Ask any mechanic at a public bike shop how rich he's gotten
at his job and he'll probably wind up on the floor laughing.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner