Barney Nohelmet

spademan o---[) * wrote:

>>>The Question: How can you find out in one weighing, which bag contains
>>
> the
>
>>>marbles of 9 grams?
>>
>>Ooh, ooh, me sir! Sir, sir! Pick me!
>>

> If you didn't use google, then go on lets hear it..

Well, I didn't use Google, but I have heard the riddle before, so I suppose that doesn't count
either. Besides, it's been given away by others now.

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Shaun R says:

> > > Gotta love those Romans - what a sensahuma ;-)
> > >
> > > Steve
> >
> > A sense of humour that wasnot ',;~}~
> >
> > Shaun aRe....
> >

> Oh yeah, well smarty pants, answer me this:-
>
> In front of you are 10 bags, filled with marbles. The number of marbles in each bag differs, but
> all bags contain ten marbles or more. Nine of the
ten
> bags only contain marbles of 10 grams each. One bag only contains marbles
of
> 9 grams. In addition, you have a balance which can weigh in grams
accurate,
> and you are allowed to use it only once (i.e. weigh a single time).
>
> The Question: How can you find out in one weighing, which bag contains the marbles of 9 grams?
>
> Steve E.

Heh - I'm too late to be smart now, aren't I? ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - But it's easy if you can count to 10......

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:07:07 -0400, John G <[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul Beakley wrote:
>

>> After the first couple attempts at "Hey, you forgot your helmet!" only

>> leaving them to bash their brains out.
>
>And leave it up to us Bike Patrol folks to clean up the mess and slog thier sorry, busted, and
>bruised @sses 3+ miles out on a litter, yeah THANKS a lot!

Uh huh. I'm in the NMBP too. I have never, ever had an experience in which I was able to
rationally engage an unhelmeted rider and explain to them the benefits -- both to themselves and
the riding community at large -- of wearing a helmet. Not once. And I'm a very good and convincing
public speaker.

So what are we left to do? Bring a bag of spare helmets and pass them out like candy?

Frankly I'd rather avoid the burnout that comes with being told to

helmet front, I've given up unless the riders are giving off serious "this is my first time on a
trail" vibes.

I'd actually be interested in sharing education strategies with other NMBP folks about the helmet
issue. Right now, I'm at a loss and frankly fed up with the whole issue.

p.

Outside America: Mountain Bike America -- Arizona Guidebook available at bike shops, bookstores,
and online
(480) 756-2460 | (602) 370-7107 cell http://www.mountainbikearizona.com

On 14 Apr 2003 10:35:07 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

>They are sooo extreeeem, aren't they?

They're XTREMO. And apparently mango-flavored.

>> After the first couple attempts at "Hey, you forgot your helmet!" only

>> leaving them to bash their brains out.
>
>Don't you mean "lack of brains"? I told this "boulderite" that a helmet is a good idea on the
>trails around here. He just shrugged like some kind of daft bobblehead on the dash of a lowrider on
>Whittier Blvd.

They never believe it until they smack themselves in the head.

There is one -- ONE -- exception to this I've ever met and he's a Sedona local. You'll see him on
the trail if you ride there long enough. Old-school rider, all weathered and leathery, riding a
creaky old K2 on toe clips...and the big floppy coolie hat. Smoothest rider I've ever seen, like
watching Kevin Foote on a valium bender. Never seen him even come close to dabbing. He's probably
setting a bad example for the kids, but there ain't nothing I can say to convince him to helmet up.

>BTW, congrats on the success of you AZSF.

Thanks, man. A good time was had by all.

Paul Beakley wrote:
> I'd actually be interested in sharing education strategies with other NMBP folks about the helmet
> issue. Right now, I'm at a loss and frankly fed up with the whole issue.

I just tell them that it's posted on the board at the kiosk and to be careful the Park Ranger
doesn't spot them riding without a helmet or he could confiscate thier bikes. (It'a a lie, Marty
could care less.) but it usually at least gets thier attention.

If they are giving off the "Barney Vibe" I try and steer them towards the more sedate trails and ask
them what kind of car they have and where they plan to ride, so in case the car is still in the lot
at closign time we know where to start looking for them ;-)

--
John G. Just say: "Assist - Educate - Inform" etc.

Paul Beakley wrote:
> There is one -- ONE -- exception to this I've ever met and he's a Sedona local. You'll see him on
> the trail if you ride there long enough. Old-school rider, all weathered and leathery, riding a
> creaky old K2 on toe clips...

AHh yes, I used to ride with a guy like quite a bit.. he rode his daugthers old mixte frame,
complete with plastic toe clips, reflectors, kickstand and top mount shifters. what a trip:
http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/folks/retroG.jpg

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:03:51 -0400, John G <[email protected]> wrote:

>I just tell them that it's posted on the board at the kiosk and to be careful the Park Ranger
>doesn't spot them riding without a helmet or he could confiscate thier bikes. (It'a a lie, Marty
>could care less.) but it usually at least gets thier attention.

Oh nice. I can see them using it as an excuse to poach trails like their lives are in danger. "But I
was just trying to stay out of sight of the park ranger!"

Yipes, I'm on the verge of becoming a JD-grade cynic.

Cute idea, though.

>If they are giving off the "Barney Vibe" I try and steer them towards the more sedate trails and
>ask them what kind of car they have and where they plan to ride, so in case the car is still in the
>lot at closign time we know where to start looking for them ;-)

Yup, we do the same thing here.

Them (sans helmet, on Sears bike): "Hey, I heard there's a really hard trail called the <NAME> up
here somewhere. Can you point me toward it?"

Me: "Yes! Yes, I can. Check out <NAME OF EASIER TRAIL> right over yonder first. If you like that
one, track me down again and I'll point you to this other trail you asked about. And bring a
helmet and maybe some armor, because it's kinda dangerous."

Them (muttering while they pull on baseball cap): "Asshole..."

Maybe it's an Arizona thing.

N.Outside America: Mountain Bike America -- Arizona Guidebook available at bike shops, bookstores,
and online
(480) 756-2460 | (602) 370-7107 cell http://www.mountainbikearizona.com

"spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > Oh yeah, well smarty pants, answer me this:-
> > >
> > > In front of you are 10 bags, filled with marbles. The number of marbles
> in
> > > each bag differs, but all bags contain ten marbles or more. Nine of the
> ten
> > > bags only contain marbles of 10 grams each. One bag only contains
> marbles of
> > > 9 grams. In addition, you have a balance which can weigh in grams
> accurate,
> > > and you are allowed to use it only once (i.e. weigh a single time).
> > >
> > > The Question: How can you find out in one weighing, which bag contains
> the
> > > marbles of 9 grams?
> > >
> > > Steve E.
> >

> > 1 weighing and 1 Google turns up...
> >
> > http://www.cut-the-knot.org/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID6/332.shtml
> >
> > You don't need to think anymore you can just Google.
> >
> > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com
>
> Right straight to bed for you with no supper.. (b*stard know-it-all computers)

Just out of curiousity where did you hear about this math puzzle? Or do you claim to have invented
it on your own? If you had created a unique mathamatical puzzle rather than rehashing one YOU found
on the 'net it would have been more difficult to solve.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

Paul Beakley wrote:

> Yipes, I'm on the verge of becoming a JD-grade cynic.

Bike Patrol will do that to you.... FAST.

> Them (sans helmet, on Sears bike): "Hey, I heard there's a really hard trail called the <NAME> up
> here somewhere. Can you point me toward it?"
>
> Me: "Yes! Yes, I can. Check out <NAME OF EASIER TRAIL> right over yonder first. If you like that
> one, track me down again and I'll point you to this other trail you asked about. And bring a
> helmet and maybe some armor, because it's kinda dangerous."
>
> Them (muttering while they pull on baseball cap): "Asshole..."
>
> Maybe it's an Arizona thing.

No.. well at least in my case it's sheer lazyness. I'm too lazy to want to haul thier busted @ss and
bent bike out or the woods and _then_ still have to fill out all the incident reports, etc.

news:<[email protected]>...

Yup: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/040903035.jpg

> >> After the first couple attempts at "Hey, you forgot your helmet!" only

> >> leaving them to bash their brains out.
> >
> >Don't you mean "lack of brains"? I told this "boulderite" that a helmet is a good idea on the
> >trails around here. He just shrugged like some kind of daft bobblehead on the dash of a lowrider
> >on Whittier Blvd.
>
> They never believe it until they smack themselves in the head.

Truth. Then the local 911 center gets to send someone out to find these fools, endangering
themselves as well.

> There is one -- ONE -- exception to this I've ever met and he's a Sedona local. You'll see him
> on the trail if you ride there long enough. Old-school rider, all weathered and leathery, riding
> a creaky old K2 on toe clips...and the big floppy coolie hat. Smoothest rider I've ever seen,
> like watching Kevin Foote on a valium bender. Never seen him even come close to dabbing. He's
> probably setting a bad example for the kids, but there ain't nothing I can say to convince him
> to helmet up.

Smooth shows quite readily. The subject of this thread was a dude who was flopping around like a
fish out of water on stuff most who I know flow right over. He was an obvious danger to himself.
BTW, Kevin and I had a great duel on Sunday, with about a 50/50 split, him cleaning more up and me
more down. That dude would climb a tree on his bike if gravity would let him. I'll credit the WTB
Motoraptor 2.4 "Inner Peace" tires with a few of my successes. They excel on rock like no other tire
I have ever run.

> >BTW, congrats on the success of your AZSF.
>
> Thanks, man. A good time was had by all.

It looked like it. I still doubt I'll ever attend because everyone knows January is the best time to
ride AZ deserts.

JD

"The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > in
> > ten
> > marbles of
> > accurate,

> > the

> > > 1 weighing and 1 Google turns up...
> > >
> > > http://www.cut-the-knot.org/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID6/332.shtml
> > >
> > > You don't need to think anymore you can just Google.
> > >
> > > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com
> >
> > Right straight to bed for you with no supper.. (b*stard know-it-all computers)
>
> Just out of curiousity where did you hear about this math puzzle? Or do you claim to have invented
> it on your own? If you had created a unique mathamatical puzzle rather than rehashing one YOU
> found on the 'net it would have been more difficult to solve.

s'true, I robbed it off the net. I'll try and come up with one of my own.

okay , in front of you are 10 boxes filled with coins...

Steve E.

Paul Beakley wrote:

> So what are we left to do? Bring a bag of spare helmets and pass them out like candy?
>
> Frankly I'd rather avoid the burnout that comes with being told to

> helmet front, I've given up unless the riders are giving off serious "this is my first time on a
> trail" vibes.
>
> I'd actually be interested in sharing education strategies with other NMBP folks about the helmet
> issue. Right now, I'm at a loss and frankly fed up with the whole issue.

I've got a friend who is a neuro/brain surgeon. She has a terrifc PowerPoint presentation of
smashed skulls and brain damage. The really good one is the homeless guy who had a run in with a
base ball bat...

penny

On 15 Apr 2003 17:50:12 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

>[email protected] (Paul Beakley) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 14 Apr 2003 10:35:07 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
>>
>> >They are sooo extreeeem, aren't they?
>>
>> They're XTREMO. And apparently mango-flavored.
>
>Yup: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/040903035.jpg

>> >Don't you mean "lack of brains"? I told this "boulderite" that a helmet is a good idea on the
>> >trails around here. He just shrugged like some kind of daft bobblehead on the dash of a lowrider
>> >on Whittier Blvd.
>>
>> They never believe it until they smack themselves in the head.
>
>Truth. Then the local 911 center gets to send someone out to find these fools, endangering
>themselves as well.

That's what they get paid to do. What's your point?

>> There is one -- ONE -- exception to this I've ever met and he's a Sedona local. You'll see him
>> on the trail if you ride there long enough. Old-school rider, all weathered and leathery, riding
>> a creaky old K2 on toe clips...and the big floppy coolie hat. Smoothest rider I've ever seen,
>> like watching Kevin Foote on a valium bender. Never seen him even come close to dabbing. He's
>> probably setting a bad example for the kids, but there ain't nothing I can say to convince him
>> to helmet up.
>
>Smooth shows quite readily. The subject of this thread was a dude who was flopping around like a
>fish out of water on stuff most who I know flow right over. He was an obvious danger to himself.

So did you and yours have to tow his sorry ass out?

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:21:02 -0400, John G <[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul Beakley wrote:
>
>> Yipes, I'm on the verge of becoming a JD-grade cynic.
>
>Bike Patrol will do that to you.... FAST.
>

>> Them (sans helmet, on Sears bike): "Hey, I heard there's a really hard trail called the <NAME> up
>> here somewhere. Can you point me toward it?"
>>
>> Me: "Yes! Yes, I can. Check out <NAME OF EASIER TRAIL> right over yonder first. If you like that
>> one, track me down again and I'll point you to this other trail you asked about. And bring a
>> helmet and maybe some armor, because it's kinda dangerous."
>>
>> Them (muttering while they pull on baseball cap): "Asshole..."
>>
>> Maybe it's an Arizona thing.
>
>No.. well at least in my case it's sheer lazyness. I'm too lazy to want to haul thier busted @ss
>and bent bike out or the woods and _then_ still have to fill out all the incident reports, etc.

Gee John. I'd hate to be the one to interupt your siesta!

Dave W wrote:
>>>Maybe it's an Arizona thing.
>>
>>No.. well at least in my case it's sheer lazyness. I'm too lazy to want to haul thier busted @ss
>>and bent bike out or the woods and _then_ still have to fill out all the incident reports, etc.
>

> Gee John. I'd hate to be the one to interupt your siesta!

No, I'd much rather be RIDING.

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:37:24 -0400, John G <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>No.. well at least in my case it's sheer lazyness. I'm too lazy to want to haul thier busted @ss
>>>and bent bike out or the woods and _then_ still have to fill out all the incident reports, etc.
>>

>> Gee John. I'd hate to be the one to interupt your siesta!
>
>No, I'd much rather be RIDING.

Truth!

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 15 Apr 2003 17:50:12 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
>
> >[email protected] (Paul Beakley) wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...

> >> They're XTREMO. And apparently mango-flavored.
> >
> >Yup: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/040903035.jpg

> >> They never believe it until they smack themselves in the head.
> >
> >Truth. Then the local 911 center gets to send someone out to find these fools, endangering
> >themselves as well.
>
> That's what they get paid to do. What's your point?

Since someone is paying for it, it's OK? What kind of idiot are you?

> >> There is one -- ONE -- exception to this I've ever met and he's a Sedona local. You'll see him
> >> on the trail if you ride there long enough. Old-school rider, all weathered and leathery,
> >> riding a creaky old K2 on toe clips...and the big floppy coolie hat. Smoothest rider I've ever
> >> seen, like watching Kevin Foote on a valium bender. Never seen him even come close to dabbing.
> >> He's probably setting a bad example for the kids, but there ain't nothing I can say to convince
> >> him to helmet up.
> >
> >Smooth shows quite readily. The subject of this thread was a dude who was flopping around like a
> >fish out of water on stuff most who I know flow right over. He was an obvious danger to himself.
>
> So did you and yours have to tow his sorry ass out?

If they did, who would pay the bill? That's right, the locals.

WTF do you care anyway, other than humping JD's posts?

Spider

On 16 Apr 2003 14:36:29 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

>Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 15 Apr 2003 17:50:12 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
>>
>> >[email protected] (Paul Beakley) wrote in message
>> >news:<[email protected]>...

>> >Yup: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/040903035.jpg

>> >Truth. Then the local 911 center gets to send someone out to find these fools, endangering
>> >themselves as well.
>>
>> That's what they get paid to do. What's your point?
>
>Since someone is paying for it, it's OK? What kind of idiot are you?

No dumbass, that's THEIR lifechoice, THEIR chosen proffession. Do it well, or find another line of
work. What kind of idiot are YOU?

>> >Smooth shows quite readily. The subject of this thread was a dude who was flopping around like a
>> >fish out of water on stuff most who I know flow right over. He was an obvious danger to himself.
>>
>> So did you and yours have to tow his sorry ass out?
>
>If they did, who would pay the bill? That's right, the locals.

Hey brother Spider, let him answer the question. I don't recall asking you. And who said he wasn't a
local, perhaps HIS tax dollars would pay to haul HIS sorry ass out.

>WTF do you care anyway, other than humping JD's posts?

WTF do YOU care? I asked a question of JD, not you. But isn't the question valid? Which was; Did JD
attempt to educate the dumbass on site, or did he (as he always seems to) wait until he got to his
I/C and preach to the choir. But he answered that already.

And speaking of post humping, did anyone ask you? I realize that the ALT news hierarchy does not
require a invitation to join a thread. What I didn't know is that one is considered to be a post
"humper" when he jumps in on a thread. If that is the case, then exactly what are you doing now?

Dave (Do the humpty-hump)

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 16 Apr 2003 14:36:29 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
>
> >Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> >> That's what they get paid to do. What's your point?
> >
> >Since someone is paying for it, it's OK? What kind of idiot are you?
>
> No dumbass, that's THEIR lifechoice, THEIR chosen proffession.

Uhh, dumbass, do they get PAID for it? It's not about the profession, it's about the MONEY.
Grow a clue.

> Do it well, or find another line of work. What kind of idiot are YOU?

One who can make a distinction between the job and how it's funded, LOL!

> >> So did you and yours have to tow his sorry ass out?
> >
> >If they did, who would pay the bill? That's right, the locals.
>
> Hey brother Spider, let him answer the question.

Why? I don't recall the moderator telling me anything about posting limitations...

> I don't recall asking you.

I realize you have difficulty grasping the concept of "public forum." I'll type slower so that you
can mouth the words better.

> And who said he wasn't a local, perhaps HIS tax dollars would pay to haul HIS sorry ass out.

Still costs money and diverts limited resources away from other tasks. Even if it was a local, that
don't make it "OK". Did I type slow enough for you?

> >WTF do you care anyway, other than humping JD's posts?
>
> WTF do YOU care?

Oh, I care a lot - since winding you up is fun, and produces the classic results...

> I asked a question of JD, not you.

"Public forum"...

So, you're just *****ing to *****. Humping JD's posts to do it. LOL!

> And speaking of post humping, did anyone ask you?

[sigh]

"Public forum"...

> I realize that the ALT news hierarchy does not require a invitation to join a thread.

Hierarchy has nothing to do with anything, doofus. Educate yourself.

> What I didn't know is that one is considered to be a post "humper" when he jumps in on a thread.
> If that is the case, then exactly what are you doing now?

Jumping in a thread? No. But since you seem to "jump in" and try and **** on JD...

But hey, if you want to imagine that I hump *your* posts, OK. I do love your wind-up and the fit
you pitch...

LOL.

Spider

On 17 Apr 2003 08:55:52 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

>Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

>> >Since someone is paying for it, it's OK? What kind of idiot are you?
>>
>> No dumbass, that's THEIR lifechoice, THEIR chosen proffession.
>
>Uhh, dumbass, do they get PAID for it? It's not about the profession, it's about the MONEY.
>Grow a clue.

Are you stuck in some kinda dead end job Spider. Where the only reason you continue to do it is
strictly for the money? If so, I pity you. If not, then I think you get my point.

>> Do it well, or find another line of work. What kind of idiot are YOU?
>
>One who can make a distinction between the job and how it's funded, LOL!

Again, if you're stuck in a dead end job, and are there only for a paycheck, I pity you.

>> >If they did, who would pay the bill? That's right, the locals.
>>
>> Hey brother Spider, let him answer the question.
>
>Why? I don't recall the moderator telling me anything about posting limitations...

Well I'm telling you. Butt out!

>> I don't recall asking you.
>
>I realize you have difficulty grasping the concept of "public forum." I'll type slower so that you
>can mouth the words better.

I grasp it just fine, quit humping my posts!

>> And who said he wasn't a local, perhaps HIS tax dollars would pay to haul HIS sorry ass out.
>
>Still costs money and diverts limited resources away from other tasks. Even if it was a local, that
>don't make it "OK". Did I type slow enough for you?

They work a 911 call center, I hope they do it well.

>> >WTF do you care anyway, other than humping JD's posts?
>>
>> WTF do YOU care?
>
>Oh, I care a lot - since winding you up is fun, and produces the classic results...

Troll on then stupid...troll on

>But hey, if you want to imagine that I hump *your* posts, OK. I do love your wind-up and the fit
>you pitch...
>
>LOL.
>
>Spider

Here goes then, You sir are a great and kind and wonderful person. I admire you so much that it
causes pain.