Baron vs. Cobra questions

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bozeman, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. Bozeman

    Bozeman Guest

    Has anyone ridden both a Baron and a Cobra (Optima low racers, the Cobra has rear suspension)? What
    sort of ride do you appreciate the suspension on? Would you rather have a Baron with a Pantour front
    hub than a Cobra? How significant is the wieght difference (it looks like more than 4 lbs. or 2 kg
    on the the web site)? Any other impressions?

    Craig

    Tags:

  2. I haven't tried the Cobra, and after spending a year racing on a variety of surfaces with the Baron,
    I'd reckon that unless one were routinely riding on Dutch fietspads, the extra weight, cost and
    complication of the suspension isn't worth it. The Baron rides very smoothly, a corollary of its
    lengthy wheelbase.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  3. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    > I haven't tried the Cobra, and after spending a year racing on a variety of surfaces with the
    > Baron, I'd reckon that unless one were routinely riding on Dutch fietspads, the extra weight, cost
    > and complication of the suspension isn't worth it. The Baron rides very smoothly, a corollary of
    > its lengthy wheelbase.
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

    Like Dave, I haven't tried a Cobra either. I do not race, at least not formally, but I have ridden a
    Baron for two seasons, on real roads, and find the ride a bit stiff, but not at all uncomfortable. I
    would not want any suspension for the same reasons stated by Dave.

    Harry Jiles

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    harryo wrote:

    > Like Dave, I haven't tried a Cobra either. I do not race, at least not formally, but I have ridden
    > a Baron for two seasons, on real roads, and find the ride a bit stiff, but not at all
    > uncomfortable. I would not want any suspension for the same reasons stated by Dave.
    >
    > Harry Jiles

    The one former Cobra owner I know is now riding a Razz-Fazz [1] and appreciates the 20 lb. (9 kgf)
    weight difference.

    [1] Both have rear suspension.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  5. Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > The one former Cobra owner I know is now riding a Razz-Fazz [1] and appreciates the 20 lb. (9 kgf)
    > weight difference.
    >
    > [1] Both have rear suspension.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

    Larry kindly loaned me his Cobra for the Barrington Hills ride in late May 2002. I wasn't able to
    keep up with the fastest riders on that ride but don't attibute this to the weight of the Cobra. The
    ride was smooth but I would have preferred the bike to weigh less if I was riding on real hills like
    the steep ones we have in Northern California. For descending such hills at speed on rough roads I
    would prefer the suspension of the Cobra for safety, control, comfort and to keep my vision blur
    free. Thus a carbon fibre Cobra clone would be very nice assuming the quality control was kept to
    high standards. BTW, I did have a brief ride on Larry's Razz-Fazz and was impressed with the way it
    rode. I'd like to obtain one of these or something similar some day.

    Zach Kaplan

  6. Bozeman

    Bozeman Guest

    Thanks all for the advice, particularly Larry for an enlightening conversation. As of now, I think I
    don't ride enough bad roads to justify the weight (and possibly the expense) of the Cobra.

    Craig