baron vs. Low Baron

jabonet73

New Member
Sep 8, 2003
how much if any is the difference between the baron and low baron, the seat is 50mm (two inches) lower on the low baron, but does this makes so much diference. it shouldn´t.

I´m planning to buy a baron and want to know if there is a real difference between the two, for what I see the real diference may be a matter of weight and components and NOT seat height or aerodinamics.

Javier Bonet
Tarragona Spain
M5 26/26 USS

On the low Baron the seat height is 2" lower and the BB height remains the same. This means that the
difference is 2" greater on the Low. This difference along with the lower height placing you body
lower between the wheels results in better aerodynamics for the Low. Not a lot better but noticable
if you are racing.

The Low Baron also does not have an idler for the return chain over the front tire. It instead
routes the chain with a single idler on the drive side and a short piece of chain tube on the
return. This results in a more efficient drive train but somewhat restricts the front wheel in turns
(The standard Baron can also route the chain in this manner but the Low does not have an option).
The handle bars and cranks are higher relative to the seat so forward vision is somewhat obscured
for shorter riders with the seat fully reclined.

If you want to race get the Low. Otherwise you will probably be better off with the standard
for fast road riding. Ofcourse lots of people ride bike as extreme or more extreme as the Low
on the street.

jabonet73 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> how much if any is the difference between the baron and low baron, the seat is 50mm (two inches)
> lower on the low baron, but does this makes so much diference. it shouldn´t.
>
> I´m planning to buy a baron and want to know if there is a real difference between the two, for
> what I see the real diference may be a matter of weight and components and NOT seat height or
> aerodinamics.
>
> Javier Bonet Tarragona Spain M5 26/26 USS

"cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On the low Baron the seat height is 2" lower and the BB height remains the same. This means that
> the difference is 2" greater on the Low. This difference along with the lower height placing you
> body lower between the wheels results in better aerodynamics for the Low. Not a lot better but
> noticable if you are racing.
>
> The Low Baron also does not have an idler for the return chain over the front tire. It instead
> routes the chain with a single idler on the drive side and a short piece of chain tube on the
> return. This results in a more efficient drive train but somewhat restricts the front wheel in
> turns (The standard Baron can also route the chain in this manner but the Low does not have an
> option). The handle bars and cranks are higher relative to the seat so forward vision is somewhat
> obscured for shorter riders with the seat fully reclined.
>
> If you want to race get the Low. Otherwise you will probably be better off with the standard
> for fast road riding. Ofcourse lots of people ride bike as extreme or more extreme as the Low
> on the street.

Agreed, I've ridden both and the low rider is a bit too extreme so I went for the standard Baron. I
normally don't use the headrest but on the Low Baron you pretty much have to and to me this is
uncomfortable. Even with the extra idler it still takes up the entire road to turn around

>Agreed, I've ridden both and the low rider is a bit too extreme so I went for the standard Baron. I
>normally don't use the headrest but on the Low Baron you pretty much have to and to me this is
>uncomfortable. Even with the extra idler it still takes up the entire road to turn around

Unclip "inside" foot, turn handlebar nearly 90 degrees, fall into curve, arrest fall by aplying
power. Keep unclipped leg ready for emergencies. Practice, practice, practice...

Found out that a Baron can easily be pedalled with one leg when one pedal came off on my first
try-out on one; rather usefull for crawling through pedestrian area's and the like, too.

Mark van Gorkom.

cbb wrote:
> The Low Baron also does not have an idler for the return chain over the front tire. It
> instead routes the chain with a single idler on the drive side and a short piece of chain
> tube on the return.

As standard there is, or was, a length of chain tube on the power side as well, between the idler
and the chainset. However, most discerning Low Baronistas remove this on delivery; even the machine
pictured on Optima's "My other vehicle is 2 fast for U" stickers is devoid of this tube.

> This results in a more efficient drive train but somewhat restricts the front wheel in turns (The
> standard Baron can also route the chain in this manner but the Low does not have an option).

Actually, it does, sort of. The fittings on the frame are there, but you have to buy the idlers and
such separately.

> The handle bars and cranks are higher relative to the seat so forward vision is somewhat obscured
> for shorter riders with the seat fully reclined.

Which is to say, shorter by Dutch standards. I'm 6'3" and have a certain amount of difficulty seeing
forwards! However, I think they now come, or can be specified, with a tilting tiller, which would
help somewhat. I am contemplating retro-fitting one to mine.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/